Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday I was tooling around Tucson on a typical 104 degree day when I noticed the temp start to rise. It didn't want to stop so I jumped on the freeway and drove at 70 and it dropped right to 210. Going home it would stay at about 230 when moving but would climb steadily at lights. When I got home I opened the hood with the temp bordering on 265 and no fan movement. I called both local dealers, one won't touch an SSR but the other one has me scheduled for tomorrow. I have printed out the remarks about the new fan from the Homeconing and hope my service writer will take the time to read it. I am missing my beast already. Had to resort to driving my TBird since it is too wet to ride my GL1800.

Dorsey :mad

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,319 Posts
me too

I am so sorry to hear this happened to you too :cry My fan had to be replaced and it took one full week...almost to the minute. Happy to report that temp has been under control since replacement... :thumbs

Will keep my fingers crossed for you :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
JeffDBFl said:
No. just ask the dealer to get the new fan form michigan. This way you will get the updated fan.
I don't have a temp problem with my very late '05 model year SSR; then again, I only drive it on weekends for fun. I was just wondering if anyone knew when the new fan was "slipstreamed" into production ... it's possible I already have the new one.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RE: Fan Update

The service manager called me after four hours and said it was my fan as I stated. He also went the extra mile and called GM to enquire about an updated fan for the SSR. According to him, there has not been such a release and they were still using the stock unit. I thanked him for the effort and asked the status of a stock unit. Here again he excelled and said he called around and found one in Phoenix and it was coming down today. I am told I can pick up my baby at 6P tonight. I amm at present a Happy Camper.

Dorsey :)

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RE:Dead Fan Resolved

My new best friend, Watsonn Chevrolet Service Managert Kevin just called and the beast is ready. He said that GM had denied all knowledge of the new fan rumor...however, the fan just installed had a born-on (oops) production date of July 05. My fingers are crossed!

Dorsey :party

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,153 Posts
Supposedly the new version has some more insulation around the wires coming in to it.

Rumor was they were bringing it in quietly. That could be why dealer isn't getting any info. Might want to get rid of old stock first.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
By the way, NO Chevy dealer can refuse to do warranty work on ANY Chevy. Report that dealer who turned you away to General Motors Customer Service. We need to ensure that that kind of crap gets slapped down right away. Warranty is for ALL Chevy products, not just the ones they may more money on.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RE:Fan

Hi Jim,

Maybe I overstated what transpired with the other dealer. The service manager told me he had a shortage of qualified SSR guys and said it would be at least a week before he could squeeze me in. I got the drift and went with the other dealer which appears to be the right choice. The new fan is working great and I now do not have the cycling hot/cold A/C that I had before. I am thinking the fan was only working on low spped before it failed.

Dorsey ;)

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,782 Posts
Dorsey.....Fan problems spread worse than catching a cold. When you were here that week, my fan quit totally the day after you left. Symptoms just as you stated. Had to go to Jacksonville for a replacement. The tech said the relay was fried. G to G now.

Call me when you get to town again.

P/P

Peace :flag

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RE:Fan

P/P

You bet I will call as it will be your turn to buy! I am cionvinced that my High Speed side of the fan was not working when I bought the beast as the A/C was constantly cyclying. Now I eavn have to crank the temp down on our 100 degree days.

Dorsey ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.