Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pushrods4ever said:
Here are some pics of the 3" electric exhaust cutout. Sorry they are so big, trying to learn the photobucket editing yet.

Doug
My questions about the cutout are:

1. Did the exhaust sensor have to be relocated?

2. Did the backpressure requirement upset the computer?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No down side and no tickets yet either

Mellow Yellow-

No to both questions. All changes where made aft of the CAT flange and sensor bung. Also no check lights or any other problems with drivability other than some passenger discomfort above 4,000 RPM with the top down or window open. You get some attention when idling around the local parking lots when in the FUN mode also.

Doug

·
Registered
220 Posts
tail pipes

Pushrods4ever said:
Mellow Yellow-

No to both questions. All changes where made aft of the CAT flange and sensor bung. Also no check lights or any other problems with drivability other than some passenger discomfort above 4,000 RPM with the top down or window open. You get some attention when idling around the local parking lots when in the FUN mode also.

Doug
It would seem to me that if you ran the dump pipe around the muffler and reconnected it, much of the noise would run out the back to one or both of the existing tail pipes. That might help your hearing loss ! Your opinion, please!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Muffler bypass

Routing the bypass around the stock muffler then tieing into one of the rear outlets would be an easy thing to do, it would be a lot quieter due to the length of the pipe and exit out the rear. If it didn't make enough noise that way or sounded funny for some reason you could always just make the sidepipe like mine and reroute it without too much additional effort.

I replaced the muffler with a Magnaflow that is quite a bit shorter, so now in normal mode it sounds a bit louder and just right for all driving. I do not use the Fun mode (open exhaust on the side) for any extended period and not very often, so hearing loss is really not an issue for me. My plans are to eliminate the rear tips, fill in the cutout area of the rear facia and put turndowns on the twin rear pipes so all that will be exposed will be the side pipe. Just my opinion but I personally like the looks of a side pipe better with this body style than the rear exhaust.

Doug

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,777 Posts
My plans are to eliminate the rear tips, fill in the cutout area of the rear facia and put turndowns on the twin rear pipes so all that will be exposed will be the side pipe.
Pushrods....In doing this you could go with the MPD rockers and cutout the area of the rocker so the side pipes are embedded for that clean smooth look. The main problem with side pipes is the exhaust buildup on the outside. The "FUN" mode usage wouldn't create this kind of situation.

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
ssr 05-

Now thats what I call a fun button! Tell us a little more, like how big a jet (hp increase) and is it a wet or dry type system?

Pictures maybe of the plumbing and such?

Doug

·
Registered
134 Posts
NOS and Gears

While we are on the subject of Nitrous, I had my 05 on the Dyno yesterday at Dennis Reinhart's shop. Had to shut it down early as I am not quite ready to do the tuning, but suffice to say it broke 500hp at the wheels. Only mods are a NOS kit and a K&N.

Dennis fitted my 4:56 gears as well. On the long drive home, I could only wonder why Chevy didn't build them this way in the first place. In a word, fantastic. The car actually responds to the throttle in top gear on the highway now, and first gear fels like, well, first gear, rather than second. Have to believe this will be a big help at the track.

Just want to say Dennis is the best. He and his team really care about their customers, tough to find nowadays!

Shameless plug for his business http://www.reinhartautomotive.com

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello GASSR,

Do you really think that you need the 4.56 gears with the Nitrous? I was thinking the taller ratio would actually help keep the tire connected when the HP kicks in...

Just trying to figure out which option is first -- both seem to be around the $750 range. :banghead

Any problems finding Nitrous nowadays?

Thanks for the dyno report!:seeya

·
Registered
134 Posts
The all round driveability improvement from adding 4:56 gears is pretty dramatic. I get to enjoy this every time I am out in the truck. I probably won't be back at the track for a few weeks, so I have no data yet, but that long first gear used to cause a significant bog. I have to believe that will be significantly improved.

In the end, if I now have traction problems at the track, I will be adding stickier tires!

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Just a comemnt on nitrous and steep gearing:

Nitrous cannot be activated at low rpm, because it will bend conencting rods and / or break pistons if applied at low rpm!

Our SSRs are HEAVY, so they really need more power at launch.

Therefore, with nitrous, the stiff gearing IS an important advantage.

Now with a supercharger, you get a lot more power right at low rpm. There, the gearing question is more importamt to at least consider (I DO want my 4.56 gearing with the supercharger!:) )

Jim G

21 - 40 of 41 Posts