Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It RUNS!! The Jim G superharger installation marathon has (almost) ended . . .

Everyone has been asking, so here is the update: The official "Jim G supercharger instalaltion marathon" has begun!

Last night (Thursday 2-23), my skilled mechanic and hotrodder friend Randy Peurifoy came over and the two of us inventoried the parts in the Magnacharger kit that I bougt from 2005ssr6speed (Joe).

The kit is awesome in its organization and detailing. There is a paper structured parts list that identifies the part number for each subassembly of the kit, and then within that identifies the individual parts included. The physical parts are all clearly organized into clear plastic bags, each of which shows the subassembly number, and then each subset of parts or individual part is isolated from the others in the bag via heat sealing, so that each bag is actually a collection of individual chambers! No way you should get confused, and it makes it really easy to know right away before you start if there are any missing parts (there were not).

Just a few unexpected items came up during our inventory:

- There is a bright red insert sheet in the installation manual that now advises that the Supertuner microtuner included in the kit should be used to install the new program BEFORE the physical installation is started. Joe says that the purpose of this is so that any glitches that arise in accessing the computer can be found BEFORE the vehicle is made undriveable, and corrected before or during phsyical installation. This is a great idea.

- In my specific case, we do have an issue as my SSR is not stock, and therefore requires a program different than the stock one shipped via the Superchips microtuner. Joe, me, Randy, and Lyndon Wester all discussed last evening and again this morning what the best method is going to be for Lyndon to get his remotely developed custom tune into my vehicle's PCM. We are currently evaluating pros and cons of using a 2nd PCM or a handheld (similar to the microtuner) that Lyndon preloads and ships to me. Using a scond PCM raises some issues similar to what Matjow ran into on his install, so Lyndon is thinking carefully about what we want to do to make this as easy as possible, and potentially a prototype of a mthodology tat we can use on other Fanatics' SSRs.

- The intake manifold gaskets shipped with the lit have a different part number than the part number shown for the intake manifold gasket in the parts list. The difference is in only the last digit and suffix, but the photo for step 87 in the install manual also seems to show port gasket shapes that are "squatter" in dimensions than the "tall & narrrow" shape of the ports n the gaskets supplied. Joe had us physically check the fit of the provided gaskets to the supercharger intake manifold, and they do fit. I am assuming that since my order clearly identified my SSR as an o4 model, that if there is a difference in intake port shape right at the manifold to heads interface, between the 04 and 05 SSR (LM4 heads and intake versus LS2 heads and intake), that I have been sent the correct sueprcharger manifold! In other words, I am asuming, Joe, that Magnacharger did not accidentally ship me a manifold and gaskets intended for an 05 / 06 SSR with slightly different intake port shapes.

- The intercooler provided with the kit uses a water cooling system that requires its own supply of distilled water. The kit does not mention how MUCH distileld water is needed, so I asked Joe via phone, and we guessed "under 3 gallons max". If anyone who has done the install knows, please reply to this thread and tell us how much distilled water I should buy on the way home today!

- Randy and I know that we cannot simply easily install the heat exchanger for the intercooler in front of the AC condensor, as I already have both a transmission cooler and Mike Moro's auxiliary fan mounted in that same area, so Randy is planning on having to remove the tranny cooler and auxiliary fan, mounti g the heat exhcanger and plumbing, and then remoutning the tranny cooler and then the auxiliary fan. Joe has warned us last night to ensure that the heat exchanger is at the FRONT of this happy party, as it REALLY needs the cool air. He also warned us that running temporarily without the heat exchanger is not a good idea, as the amount of heat produced by the blower is sufficient to cause detonation beyond the limits of the PCM to compensate against, so everyhting HAS to be buttoned up this weekend (My SSR is also my daily driver).

Those are the "issues or questions" so far.

I cleaned out the garage beforehand for the marathon. We have good lighting, and at least 3 feet on every side of the SSR (the wife's SUV has been banished to the outdoors for months so that the SSR, my Ducati, and my motorcycle trailer can all live indoors (you have to kep your priorities straight. The SUV is merely primary transportation, but the Ducati and its trailer are precious!)

I'll try to post updates through the weeked as time allows.

Joe has told us he thinks we will find this simple, and I have no reason to think otherwise, unless we got the wrong intake, or the PCM re-programming becomes a problem (due to my non-stock starting point), or things are tighter than we hope in that fascia area (heat exchanger, tranny cooler, fan).

Joe has assured me that if the PCM becomes an issue, we CAN load the standard Magnacharger program via the Superchips microtuner provided with the kit, and the SSR will start and run. I just wold have to NOT use the boost until we could get the PCM properly re-programmed to allow for my Z06 cam and dual exhaust.

This difference between my SSR and a stock 04 SSR is not trivial. A stock 04 SSR produces about 235 to 250 rwhp, while my modified one produces a dyno confirmed 330 rwhp - more like a stock 05 / 06 SSR than an 04 SSR. Think about it. 330 versus 240 hp means 37% more power and therefor by definition 37% more air and 37% more fuel being passed through per minute. Getting into the throttle before getting a proper program could be very destructive, and msut not be done.

Anyway, more updates later . .

Jim G

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One thing I should have said: Joe has been FABULOUS in his support on this. He spent about an hour on the phone with me and Randy last ngiht, and exchanged a few emails with me as well. I feel like we are in expert hands.

This is service that you should think long and hard about before trying to buy your supercharger kit somewhere else for just a few bucks less but forgoing all this valuable help from someone who lives on this website and therefore has a lot invested in our success.

I've got a lot tied up in my SSR, and want to work with the BEST on any mods I do.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Thank you very much for the compliments once again. I assure you that the installation will be easier then you think. The install is actually cut down because the largest part (Supercharger, Intake, Intercooler, Fuel Injectors and Fuel Rails) are already preassembled. The hard part is lowering it down onto the engine due mainly to its weight. It is recommended that you have at least 2 people doing this so it can be placed down softly and aligned. I agree the biggest challenge will be the placement of everything forward of the radiator and the computer programming via Westers Tune. If you work slow and methodical it should be done easily by Sunday morning with enough time to double and triple check everything. Please keep me posted and dont hesitate to give me a call, I wake up at about 4:30-5:00 am and dont go to bed until at least 10:00 pm.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
Everyone has been asking, so here is the update: The official "Jim G supercharger instalaltion marathon" has begun!Jim G
If you do a good job, I will let you install mine, too. Ain't I swell!

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If this one goes as well as we all hope, then, yes, I would think that more for others are a good possibility!

Jim G

·
Registered
203 Posts
Supercharger Install

Focks said:
If you do a good job, I will let you install mine, too. Ain't I swell!

Focks,
Sent you a PM on 2/20 in regards to your install.

Anyone in North Texas looking for someone to install supercharger, or Mike Moro's fan kit please let me know. I can easily handle these types of modifications. Turned wrenches for a living for a little over 21 years. I am located in North Richland Hills.

Gary

·
Registered
269 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
He also warned us that running temporarily without the heat exchanger is not a good idea, as the amount of heat produced by the blower is sufficient to cause detonation beyond the limits of the PCM to compensate against, Jim G
Just curious, What happens if the little pump for the intercooler stops pumping??? If this is a daily driver that could be bad news.

JimGnitecki said:
This difference between my SSR and a stock 04 SSR is not trivial. A stock 04 SSR produces about 235 to 250 rwhp, while my modified one produces a dyno confirmed 330 rwhp - more like a stock 05 / 06 SSR than an 04 SSR. Think about it. 330 versus 240 hp means 37% more power and therefor by definition 37% more air and 37% more fuel being passed through per minute. Getting into the throttle before getting a proper program could be very destructive, and msut not be done.Jim G
37% more fuel passing through??? I thought you increased milage slightly with your modifications?

·
Registered
590 Posts
1HOT12C said:
37% more fuel passing through??? I thought you increased milage slightly with your modifications?
He gets to his destination 40% faster, thus a 3% fuel saving!:jester

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 37% more fuel per minute is under wide open throttle ONLY!! Not when just cruising.

If the intercooler pump stops working, you need to stay out of the boost is all.

1st update at Friday 7:20pm CST:

The "temporary" re-programming via the provided Superchips microtuner worked. We know this because we started the SSR after that install in order to drive it up the ramps to do the booster fuel pump install. It now starts readily but runs rich as pig at idle. It had trouble climbing the ramps (I didn't want to give it more gas for fear I'd shoot off the ends of the ramp into the garage wall of the home which is now sold awaiting closing!)

After the fuel pump install, the only work done from underside, we will lower the vehicle back to the floor. To do so, we don't want to start it agin because that would get the parts hot again, so we plan to roll it down BUT with the ignition key on so that we don't trigger the anti-theft provisions that prevent the vehicle from then starting! Joe says that even if we tirgger the anti-theft, the cure is to simply disconnect the battery negative terminal for a few minutes, and we need to do that anyway, so no big deal.

No issues so far.

Next update by 11:30pm CST latest, for those tuning into the soap opera.

Jim G

·
Registered
234 Posts
Interesting, I have never heard of just using distilled water in an intercooler. It would seem that you would want the lubrication/anti rust and higher boiling point/lower freezing point qualities of a mix. Gords Performance Engineering recommends a mix in their intercoolers. Staying tuned for "As the Blower Turns".

·
Registered
234 Posts
SSR6speed,

Thanks for posting the threads.
Subdriver is the Mac Daddy of lubrication, isn't he?
Plus, he signed me up for a big discount program with Amsoil. What a guy!
BTW, have you looked for a +2 or +3 quart tranny pan? It would be a nice addition to our cars.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think that that pan was for an 03 or 04 SSR. I'm going to look again. Do you know any 05 or 06 guys that have a plus size pan?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts