Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, Black Betty got bumped in a parking lot and is getting repaired. While in there they are also repairing the roof scuff from my hydraulic lines scraping the roof. I tied em back but they still came back to haunt me. they also have to fix, for the fourth time, the leak that is sending water under the dash and onto the floor on the passenger side. They finally took my suggestion (actually it was a demand by now) to send it to a very good specialist in this type of thing. They are Walt's Water Works on Witchduck road in Va. Bch. I should have her back soon and I will post the details of exactly just what they did to fix the problem and I am pretty confident they can fix it. I think the infamous leak may be gone for good this time.:party
 

· Machell
Joined
·
22,391 Posts
Driving in the rain to and from Ruidoso I found a drip leak in my SSR, where the top fits together at the rear of the window is a metal piece with a screw in it. The water dripped in on both the passenger and drivers side. At least it was consistent:)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good News, I got Black Betty back today. Bad news. The leak is not fixed. If they had only done what I had suggested they would know that the problem was not solved. As usual, I picked her up and she was filthy, unlike how I dropped her off. Once home, I washed her and the pulled around the culdesac and sure enough, water came out from under the dash. They said they fixed something under the firewall where wires were and re-sealed the rubber at the windshield where the top meets but no go. Also, what really got me ticked off was the center bolt that holds on the rear facia was totally about to come off and super loose. Fortuneately I noticed it and tightened it up. The paint repair has overspray of the clear coat in an area that was not damaged and is totally dull. I will rub it out myself. Enough of this customer service. I suggest you all find a good mechanic and body shop person. The dealerships are worthless.:cuss :cuss
 

· Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
Joined
·
550 Posts
Ed, I have no good information for you, but it seems like to me that your leak is associated with how the HVAC unit fits to the plenum and the front of dash. This is a guess on my part, there is not really anything else that could give you that much water. Good Luck!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
cruzned said:
As some of you know, Black Betty got bumped in a parking lot and is getting repaired. While in there they are also repairing the roof scuff from my hydraulic lines scraping the roof. I tied em back but they still came back to haunt me. they also have to fix, for the fourth time, the leak that is sending water under the dash and onto the floor on the passenger side. They finally took my suggestion (actually it was a demand by now) to send it to a very good specialist in this type of thing. They are Walt's Water Works on Witchduck road in Va. Bch. I should have her back soon and I will post the details of exactly just what they did to fix the problem and I am pretty confident they can fix it. I think the infamous leak may be gone for good this time.:party
I wrapped the lines with a piece of velcro (the soft side) to stop the roof scuff and that seems to be working.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Freezer, once again thank you. You are absolutely correct about the HVAC being the source of the problem. The "Experts" at Walts Water Works have worked on a few other SSR's and they all appear to leak at the seal where the HVAC Box mounts to the firewall. They said the design of the seal leaves something to be desired, but they will fix it wednesday. Hope this helps others that have or will have leaks.

Ed
 

· Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
Joined
·
9,651 Posts
Roof Scuff marks passenger side only

dale said:
I wrapped the lines with a piece of velcro (the soft side) to stop the roof scuff and that seems to be working.
When Dale was visiting with me in Niagara Falls we talked about that issue. I had shown him where his problem was occuring. I too have some small scuff marks on my side roof panel which I tried bending the plastic line back in. It seems to be working so far but I might have to try something else if it continues to scuff up my roof.

I have another friend who owns a early 04 Redline who also exhibits the same scuffing on his passenger side roof line. It must be a common issue perhaps freezer or someone else has an eazy remedy for that issue. :)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Marc: The lines no longer scuff and they did rub them out pretty well to my satisfaction and that says a lot as picky as I am. I found that the twist ties were actually rotating and scuffing the paint so I wrapped them up and it seems to be just fine. Put electrical tape around them.

The main issue is that nasty leak around the HVAC box. Once that is fixed I will let ya'll know just what the guys at Water Works Did. Fixing leaky vehicles is all this company does and they come highly recommended from many sources loacally. They said they will definately be able to fix er up this week after the holiday.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I got my SSR back from Water Works, again, today. I had to take it back because she was still leaking. They found a few reasons why they leak. One, the area on the passenger side just above the wiper motor is a huge space where they had to fabricate some metal and goop over the top of the motor so that the water would not fall back into it. The other area is in the center of the Cowl directly under the wiper on the drivers side. At this area is a vertical cylinder made of very thin rubber. When it gets cloged up, which is easy to do, the water pools in this area and then when I made sharp left turns after rain or washing the car, the water sloshed over to the area on the passenger side, into that weep hole area, and over top of the wiper motor and under the dash. It ain't pretty, but the plastic cover over the cowl area makes it so you won't see this mess, but the bottom line is it is fixed and under the plastic cover when done. Hope this helps you all with your probs. a bit.

By the way, that little cylinder of rubber can be felt if you reach up under the center of the cowl area by the driver's side wiper where it attaches to the cowl area. If you pour water into where the wiper is, it should drain out that little tube. If it does not, then clean her out man!

They also told me that on certain Fords they have worked on there was a similar problem, only the water got onto a major computer component and the trucks actually started on their own in the rain without a key or anything.....kind of like the book by Steven King, "Christine". They also said there were 45 TSB's on the new Pontiac Solstice regarding leaks.
 

Attachments

· Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
Joined
·
9,651 Posts
cruzned said:
... They also told me that on certain Fords they have worked on there was a similar problem, only the water got onto a major computer component and the trucks actually started on their own in the rain without a key or anything.....kind of like the book by Steven King, "Christine". They also said there were 45 TSB's on the new Pontiac Solstice regarding leaks.
Glad it is finally over for you Ed! :thumbs

BTW: I am sure glad it doesn't start up on you like those Fords did or that we have 45 TSB's on water leakes like the Solstices on our SSRs. :willy:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
cruzned said:
Good News, I got Black Betty back today. Bad news. The leak is not fixed. If they had only done what I had suggested they would know that the problem was not solved. As usual, I picked her up and she was filthy, unlike how I dropped her off. Once home, I washed her and the pulled around the culdesac and sure enough, water came out from under the dash. They said they fixed something under the firewall where wires were and re-sealed the rubber at the windshield where the top meets but no go. Also, what really got me ticked off was the center bolt that holds on the rear facia was totally about to come off and super loose. Fortuneately I noticed it and tightened it up. The paint repair has overspray of the clear coat in an area that was not damaged and is totally dull. I will rub it out myself. Enough of this customer service. I suggest you all find a good mechanic and body shop person. The dealerships are worthless.:cuss :cuss
:agree I HAVE NEVER ""NEVER"" HAD A SMOOTH DEALERSHIP FIX! EVERYTHING FROM LEAKY TARGA TOPS ON CORVETTES TO AS SIMPLE AS REPLACING ASHTRAYS! I LOVE CHEVY PRODUCTS, HOWEVER THE SERVICE AT THE DEALERSHIPS HAS ALWAYS BEEN HORRIBLE. I HAVE HAD SIX CORVETTES AND ONE SSR. :silver: WHY IS THIS?
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,213 Posts
BIG COUNTRY said:
:agree I HAVE NEVER ""NEVER"" HAD A SMOOTH DEALERSHIP FIX! EVERYTHING FROM LEAKY TARGA TOPS ON CORVETTES TO AS SIMPLE AS REPLACING ASHTRAYS! I LOVE CHEVY PRODUCTS, HOWEVER THE SERVICE AT THE DEALERSHIPS HAS ALWAYS BEEN HORRIBLE. I HAVE HAD SIX CORVETTES AND ONE SSR. :silver: WHY IS THIS?

Oh TOTALLY :agree
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes BigJim, the water tends to pool there, especially if that little rubber cylinder under the center of the firewall directly under the wipers is clogged. It will slosh over to the passenger side and then go over the wiper motor and come out under the dash on the passenger side. This is why they fabricated a large piece of sheet metal and gooped it up with that black stuff so the water will drain out where it is supposed to and not under the dash. You can reach that little rubber piece by lifting up the hood, and then feel around the center of the dash area until you feel the rubber cylinder. Poor water in from up top. If water comes out the little rubber cylinder, it is not clogged. If she pools up, then you have to clean the little bugger out. I used an air hose from up above and that blew the junk right out of there.
 

· Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
Joined
·
550 Posts
There are also rubber flapper valves at either end of the plenum. As you corner the water should also flow out each side. If you get a huge amount of water, it should also flow out the sides. The duckbill that Ed describes takes care of the low point in the plenum.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Leaks!

I had both sides up front and in the bed of the SSR with water issues. I mean puddles up front. To the dealer I go again. They told me its blowback? Comes in where the top goes down inside, doesn't drain, blows back up through the sillplates to the floors up front. I don't know if I believe this for the mear fact that I hadn't driven it since it had rained on it that time. Water does gather in that area (which I think it shouldn't) because there are wires in there. Once again,:skep I think the dealer has no idea what to say or do for us. I have an 04:yellow: and this has happened to me 2x since i have purchased the SSR new. I think the dealer adjusted the wing and bed cover to try to fix the problem also. I got in my SSR one time and it looked like someone had washed my truck and left the windows down! The inside or my front windshield was dripping water, then I noticed the floor on both sides, the bed:eek. It happens out of the blue. It goes so long no problems, then WHAM!
 
1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top