Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The little yellow truck that changed my life. It started in January 2004 back when we had news papers. I see an ad where a local dealer had 3 in stock, asphalt, redline, and slingshot. My buddy who worked for GM at the time said wait until you see what is coming out. There they were at dealer with 3. I grab the wife and say let's go see these trucks. I get there, just to look, black in the show room, the yellow and red out front. Lots of people. Salesman jumped on me and I told him I just wanted to see the trucks. He asked which one do you want to drive? Told him there is no way as a poor school teacher I could afford that, they wanted 10 over sticker. He asked again which would you like to drive? I said the little yellow one.
Off we go on the drive. First thing I notice is the nice v-8 rumble, sending the happy shiver through my body. On the drive I pull over to play with the top and we had a crowd on the street watching us. The rest of the day was a blur but the next morning I go out in the garage and there is a little yellow truck in the dodge rams parking spot. At this time I panic, how am I going to afford the payments? No I didn't pay 10 over sticker but it was still more that I could afford. Well if you get a home equity loan you can spread it out over 15 years, you can keep the truck.
The early days of driving it were scary. Going down the freeway people would pull up behind your shoulder and feel the must honk the horn to give you a thumbs up. Made you jump every time.
One day I'm out driving on a back road by the stadium and I hear a voice. ‘Let's light them up”.
I look over and it was a redline. The first other SSR in the wild. He steps on it and off we go.
On the weekend I'm out driving and stumble on a small car show. I'm getting out after parking to go look at the cars and the car guys coming running over and made me park in the middle of isle of their car show. Very cool, I was hooked. I liked the attention. Learned where all the local cruise night were and started showing up regularly. Lots of fun, lots of attention.
At the cruise nights the only ones I noticed getting more attention were these old gentlemen in early 50’s ford pickups with matching teardrop trailers. I thought to myself I need one of those behind my truck. I researched teardrops and found some plans. I built my first trailer. The ford boys welcome me into the group. I learn about gatherings, when vintage trailers camp together.
About this time others were buying ssr’s and the fanatics website was catching on. I signed up for my first gathering and posted an invitation for other Arizona fanatics to come up to cottonwood and see the show. A couple people expressed interest in the run. That morning one couple showed up in their asphalt SSR, a Mike and Debbie. The truck was really more of a black and brown but that is not my story to tell. I met my first SSR friends.
The Arizona group grew and was quite active. Lots of runs, tech days, meals, party's, shows, Laughlin runs. Met lots of really good people I consider good friends. As I was typing this I started to list them but know I would miss some. So I won't list them but want to thank all of you for being my friends.
One of my favorite vacations started in Bisbee at the Shady Dell. It’s a hotel of vintage trailers. They would let me park there with my vintage trailer. A trailer buddy caught up with us there and we went to a gathering in Cloudcroft New Mexico. I took a photo of the little yellow truck in White sands that became the cover of the SSR calendar. Small town fireworks in Raton, then off to the Colorado Ssr rally. Had a blast there, camping, Ssr’s, hiking, and tourist attractions. I did have a encounter with a rattlesnake, in a lighting downpour, after falling off the trail bleeding all over. Driving home a group of about 30 bikers surrounded me and slowed us way down. The were all around us, then suddenly the turn their thumbs up and speed off. Very scary, very cool.
Met more hotrod guys and one cruise night a guy shows up with a 1951 willys wagon on a trailer. My buddies made me buy it so he hauled it home for me. I built my first hotrod, slingshot yellow of course. Discovered 72 and older shows, good guys, etc. etc.
Started me on the path of restoring more trailers, more trucks, bigger trailers. When I needed help moving the cab of my 48 “grandpa” on the frame it’s my SSR buddies to the rescue. thanks again gentleman.
With all the other projects the little yellow truck is being driven less and less. I've only been getting it out a ½ dozen times a year. So with insurance, maintenance, etc that's a minimum of 250 bucks a trip. With out going into details I can't afford to do this anymore. I found a dealer willing to give me a fair price so I delivered it this morning. The little yellow truck is on to its next home, maybe it will change their life too?

Last Drive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
SSR Enthusiast
1,491 Posts
Nice story, I wasn't expecting the ending though.
I know you will miss your :yellow:

The new Corvettes had me contemplating but nothing that low will work with my driveway....I tried.

In 2008 I bought my :black: and in 2010 I supercharged it and made it my daily driver up to 100k miles.
Then in 2014 I switched to a supercharged :yellow: as my daily driver.

I will admit our unique trucks can take a little more upkeep than your run of the mill vehicles; however, they are far from run of the mill.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,302 Posts
What a great story Jim! Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us... A bit sad at the end however... With much heartache I sold my first SSR but I can't imagine the day I will ever be selling this one and becoming "SSRLESS" again... Yet so many of you original SSR folks are doing it... Makes a part of me sad but Oh, the wonderful memories you'll treasure forever!

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Nice story ... terrible ending !!! However, Jim at nearly 78 I might be telling a similar story anytime. We just don't know what the future holds. That is why we drive ours every opportunity we have. Bob Alexander tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Proud Original Owner
18,144 Posts
Great story Jim.
We first met you at the Colorado rally in 2010.
Hate to see you sell your SSR, but I know things change with time.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
yellow ssr

Jim, loved the story.
That is why my 2005 black beauty is my daily driver in the summer. I got tired of keeping everything pristine for somebody else down the road. My is spattered with bugs every week, and very dirty during the road construction, but she gets a weekly bath to clean her up for the next week. As you, I love the attention and comments as well.

·
Daily Driver
8,930 Posts
I agree. :agree
Drive it every day, washing road dirt off is much more satisfying than wiping off garage dust. :yesnod

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More Photos

1. First Magazine
2. Old School wood bed
3. Laughland few SSR buddies
4. Laughland
5. A few trailer buddies

Attachments

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even more photos

1. Cool Springs Route 66 Fun Run
2. White Sands
3. Colorado Show
4. Slingshot Yellow Willys Wagon
5. Ford boys and I made the paper

Attachments

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,907 Posts
Jim, I always loved watching your progress thru your many projects. I still have a pic of your pin striping as my wallpaper. It was what started Purple Hawk and Yellow Bear on their striping journey. Keep an eye out for a Screamers Run and join is. We'll miss your :yellow:, but will still look for you. Thanks to our "fat fendered friend" we would have Never met you. Looking out to our next meet......
Fuji

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jim, I always loved watching your progress thru your many projects. I still have a pic of your pin striping as my wallpaper. It was what started Purple Hawk and Yellow Bear on their striping journey. Keep an eye out for a Screamers Run and join is. We'll miss your :yellow:, but will still look for you. Thanks to our "fat fendered friend" we would have Never met you. Looking out to our next meet......

Fuji

Of course screamers is an in..

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,997 Posts
Hey, Jim;

I still remember the trip to Cottonwood to check out your SSR and trailer. As I remember, it was August or September 2005.... Pretty amazing.....

I'm so glad to see you post this as your SSR moves on to a new home. Remember..... No matter what you drive, you are still part of this family.

All our best,

Mike & Debbie

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, Jim;

I still remember the trip to Cottonwood to check out your SSR and trailer. As I remember, it was August or September 2005.... Pretty amazing.....

I'm so glad to see you post this as your SSR moves on to a new home. Remember..... No matter what you drive, you are still part of this family.

All our best,

Mike & Debbie

Thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts