Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,359 Posts
Edited by Cash

*** #308 & #2294 - "Erotica (not one of the Original 69)
Thanks for the #308 pics Ray, I had just a couple weird ones- when I get more time I will move a couple of yours into the #308 post - "Cash"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,359 Posts
And more

***#313 - IrelandSSR
***#300 - Hot Wheels - "Cash"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,359 Posts
Edit by Cash

The Redline is #300, the Mattel Hot Wheels SSR - same day build as #301 - 6.12.2003, so one of 2 first built (except EX VINs & Signature Series)

***#5973 - not one of the Original 69 - "The Magnuson SSR" built for Maureen Magnuson - currently owned by Dan Withers in AZ - "Cash"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,359 Posts
Edit by Cash

***#301 - SoCal Bonneville Salt Flats Push Truck
#300 & #301 were the first SSr's out of the gate (not considering the EX VIN's and the Signatures)
#301 was the first 6L - 6sp, but not officially considered as such as it did not leave the LCC that way - custom work was done at ASC and SoCal Customs - "Cash"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,359 Posts
Edit by Cash

#309 The Axiom, aka The Enduro
Picture #4 is the first time I have noticed the cockpit enclosure over the passenger seat
Someday, someone is going to do an Axiom #309 Clone. - "Cash"

Attachments

Reactions: shakatak

·
Premium Member
9,359 Posts
Edited by Cash
The Flame is #317 - the MBRP Exhaust SEMA SSR
The Black is #3434 - "The Blackbird"
American Speed sold the Blackbird and the Tangerine Cream SoCal #13 to Mark Hicks, Big Block SSR (The Fastest SSR race truck)

Neither the Blackbird or the SoCal #13 were part of the Original 69
The flame #317 was

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,359 Posts
last bunch - wish I'd know back then how important serial numbers would become.

Attachments

·
SSR Overseas, Ireland,
387 Posts

When I got #313 the stock satin wheels were back on it. I did buy running boards from "OLdXR " SSR fanatic and fitted these.
Upgrade radio to Parrot Asteroid unit too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,359 Posts
I added in VIN's for you, and edited in a couple notes into your posts.
Thanks Ray - some great pictures.
Glad I finally found the photos - it had been bugging me for quite a while. Probably just an accidental movement of the file while attempting something else. I tried not to duplicate shots you already had.

Gives me hope I will eventually find the Fontana file from February 2005 with photos of the pace trucks and several other SSRs hanging around the speedway. That was a great weekend. Drove an ARCA car at the Orange County 1/4 mile, and saw all three races from a private skybox.:thumbs

·
Tech Support/Research
1,706 Posts
Subject: SSR Rear Power Auxiliary Port Incorrect Connector Wiring

The accessory power port in the right rear corner of the bed of very early production 2003 SSRs shows 12 volts at the socket but will not power a polarity-sensitive accessory such as a battery tender- such accessories show that the polarity of the circuit is reversed positive to negative. This condition has been confirmed on at least two WD69 pilot SSRs with VINs under 314.

Investigation shows that the female portion of the factory wire harness connector under the right rear fender is improperly wired: the orange power and black ground wires are installed backwards in the Weather Pack connector. The red and black wires for the power port pigtail are correctly wired (center port is positive/red and barrel/ground is black). See the photo of the connector as furnished/installed by the factory.

I have confirmed that the orange wire within the chassis harness is 12V positive and the black wire is ground; it’s just their orientation within the connector that is backwards.

My solution to ensure the power port operates with the correct polarity:
Unclip and separate the two halves of the connector.
Pull the power port pigtail up through the body to the tailgate area.
Pull a section of both red and black wires out of the plastic loom.
Cut both wires and splice them together red to black and black to red.
Reinstall wires into the loom, and wrap locally with electrical tape. I also used pieces of red and black electrical tape to wrap the wires at the connector to reflect the correct polarity.
Reinstall the pigtail and snap together both sections of the Weather Pack connector.
Clip into position on the body and confirm correct operation with a polarity-sensitive accessory such as a battery tender.

If you own an early production 2003 SSR with a VIN under 368, please check and report here if your factory wring harness is cross-wired as shown in the photo. If you own a 2003 SSR with VIN starting at 001, also please check and report here to determine if the error was promulgated beyond the 69 early production pilot SSRs. At this time it's unknown if the Signature SSRs are affected.

It's also recommended that you repair this wiring error to preclude damage to polarity-sensitive devices that do not have the circuit protection typically built into them like a battery charger or tender.

Wire Connector Error.JPG

·
Tech Support/Research
1,706 Posts
Relative or Post #31 in this thread, three WD69 pilot trucks with VINS under 314 have now been confirmed to have the factory wiring harness error for the rear auxiliary power port.

·
Super Moderator
13,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Hi Dan
I am not sure how many are still alive but here you go up to #314

#300 - now patina green used to be Hot Wheels SEMA SSR
#301 - SoCal Push truck - on display
#302 - JUNKED
#303 - Flame Pace 1 owned by Mike Bode in Ontario Canada
#304 - American LeMans owned by (not sure as has changed hands)
#305 - JUNKED
#306 - The Americano - as I understand in a private collection in CA
#307 - JUNKED
#308 - still privately owned by a guy that presented it at SEMA
#309 - you have to read my thread - "The Enduro"
#310 - JUNKED
#311 - JUNKED
#312 - JUNKED
#313 - alive and well in Ireland
#314 - JUNKED

So, 7 of the original 15 have been junked but the rest are either being driven or being kept for public viewing

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Were the junked ones/any taken out of circulation by GM?

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Fantastic information in this thread. I still own Flame Pace #331. As mentioned above the wiring is indeed not correct.

Great work by all.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Were the junked ones/any taken out of circulation by GM?
Mike, I am very sure there were a few decommissioned by GM, but not positive which ones.
GM designated the #300-#369 as WD1 Pilots, but the main activity was #300 - #318, so 19 SSR's
They started @ #300 in order to preserve the #1 etc VIN's - not wanting the first ones to be used as "mules".
From #320 on, I don't see a lot of activity by GM where they were used as "mules"
I think GM set 69 aside to look after all of their tests, and wound up having too many on hand ( just like I save too many posts in my threads for future posts that never happen - HaHa!)
After that, there was #331 (Flame Pace 2) #338 (Victory Lane) & #333 which IMO was "The First Saleable"
I have never been able to confirm this BTW, just a process of elimination of colours and looking at Build Dates

The 1st 19
#300 - Hot Wheels
#301 - Push Truck
#303 - Flame Pace 1
#304 - American LeMans #1
- - #305 was JUNK, I thought by GM but now believed to be in ON Canada
#306 - The Americano
#308 - I think this may have been a SEMA - it was a Magazine SSR
#309 - Enduro
#313 - Alive in IRELAND
#316 - American LeMans #2
#317 - MBRP Exhaust SEMA - now in Canada
#318 - Mike in AZ spoke with

After this
#331 - Flame Pace 2
#338 - Victory Lane

I "think" the ones that could have been JUNKED by GM
#302 - JUNK 7/05 - was built as a Z49 Canadian with Km/hr etc - no sign it ever hit Canada
#307 - no history other than JUNK 11/05
#310 - JUNK 5/08
#311 - JUNK 5/11 - had sat in the Milford Proving Grounds for years-eventually Junked
#312 - JUNK 6/09 - I think GM may have junked it and given it to someone to do the E80 Corn experiment on the proviso it be junked later
#314 - JUNK GM advertising - Parted 7/05
#315 - JUNK 8/09 - no history except GM

***Keep in mind GM JUNKed 32 EX VINs that were used to take on the bulk of build experiments

·
Super Moderator
13,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
#359 :ssr In KS 5/14

#360 :ssr In NE 5/14

#361 :ssr In NJ 5/14

#362 :ssr JUNK Title

:ssr JUNK Title

#364 :ssr In NC 5/14

#365 :ssr In Ga 5/14

#366 :ssr Alive in 5/14

#367 :ssr JUNK Title

:ssr In TN 5/14
I have updated this thread, but not sure what to do about the SSR emogees - too many to deal with, thanks to our great new changes

21 - 40 of 45 Posts