Registered
218 Posts
what is that :confused :confused :confused :confused

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Mat Tears

:) :) :)

Had mine replaced on Friday when they installed the NEW and IMPROVED driveshaft. Part # 15119926 insulator.....$145.00. 7 minutes to replace.

:seeya :seeya

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The insulator is cut by the edge of the roof in the full down position. What good does it do to just replace it?

What I find strange is that there is a recess below this part of the insulator. It doesn't seem like the roof could pinch this so as to cut it.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Had mine replaced too, but it seems to be working fine now. They repositioned it so it does not get cut.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Driveshaft

*This spring when the weather was warm enough to put the top down I noticed a "tink" sound comming from the drivetrain when I put the SSR in gear. I got louder as time went by and started to "tink" several times as I accelerated and also as I slowed down. It seemed to make the noise as the driveshaft was stressed.

*I had the driveshaft replaced on June 4 2004 and the noise went away....for a while. After 400+ miles the noise started again and got louded as time went by.

*The dealer contacted GM again. A hold was put on all drive shaft replacements until the engineers could complete a redesign for the driveshaft. I received the first new design driveshaft on September 10 2004. I was the test case and had to report to the service manager on a regular basis.
It was quiet for about 600 miles....the the noise started to come back. It is not as loud as the previous driveshafts. I only hear it when I put it in gear.

*I have notified my dealer and they have contacted GM. I will be on vacation for the next two weeks but when I return, the dealer says a GM engineer wants to see the SSR at my dealer shop.

**I will post updates on this, as there are several members on this site that have a similar problem.

:seeya

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Driveshaft Help

As I have reported, I am on the third driveshaft in my 2003 SSR. The last one being the upgraded version that was to get rid of the noise. It did for a while. I now have 1000 miles on it and the noise is back and slowing getting louder and more anoying.

The service manager has been battling with GM with no results. Seems GM has had no other complaints about noise from other owners who have gotten the new version driveshaft and feels that this was the fix.

Has anyone out there had the new version driveshaft installed and are you having the "tink" noise again?? Please let me know and also let your Dealer report it to GM. If enough problems are documented out there, we may get GM to realize that the fix did not work. Let me know your vin # if you don't mind.

Thanks

·
Administrator
8,205 Posts
Tink Noises continued

I too have that problem and I hope to get mine resolved soon. I was reading something about a transmission issue at work on Monday that was dealing with a tink noise issues also. I will try to dig up that bulletin tomorrow and pass the information on.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Drive Shaft Noise

I, too, have the "tink" noise, but I haven't dealt with it yet. It seems to be getting louder as time goes on. Mine is the original drive shaft, VIN #369, with about 3800 miles total. Anybody else out there? If you report in, it might help all of us expedite getting a permanent fix. :thumbs

1 - 14 of 14 Posts