Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BUT NOT KOOL!!!! I was really hoping I could have avoided this... have 15k miles on the beast when last weekend, returned from a 2 hr drive, and the fan stopped... :banghead :banghead In the shop last Monday. They ordered the replacement from Lancing and had all the little nits (including a new drive shaft... #3, but this time the new part number) done by late Friday and I picked it up Sat morning. Did a few chores around the house and Sat afternoon went golfing... unfortunately did not pay much attention to the temp gauge... why??? it was just fixed wasn't it??? Well, on the way back home at 7PM on a cool evening the temp gauge went almost to 260... :cry :cry :cry fortunately, could drive 65mph most of the way home, so watched the temp see saw back and forth from 210 to 260 and back several times. Got in the driveway without the DIC alarm going off for high temp, got out, saw the temp go back to around 260 and looked under the hood.... THE FAN WAS RUNNING!!!, but maybe only on low speed... still doesn't make sense. However, the PCM knew it was hot enough that when I tried to increase RPMs to 4k, it knocked it back down to around 2k. So back to the shop again this morning... only decent thing about this today is that my loaner is an H2! First time I have driven one of these beast wanabes. It isn't bad, drives like a stiff pickup, not as much power as the Rod... not as impressed as I thought I would be. It's nice, but no nicer IMO than any of the other larger to midsize top of the line SUVs around.... I'm looking for a 60 degree grade to climb and a 40 degree hill to traverse :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
3,577 Posts
Daven said:
BUT NOT KOOL!!!! I was really hoping I could have avoided this... have 15k miles on the beast when last weekend, returned from a 2 hr drive, and the fan stopped... :banghead :banghead In the shop last Monday. They ordered the replacement from Lancing and had all the little nits (including a new drive shaft... #3, but this time the new part number) done by late Friday and I picked it up Sat morning. Did a few chores around the house and Sat afternoon went golfing... unfortunately did not pay much attention to the temp gauge... why??? it was just fixed wasn't it??? Well, on the way back home at 7PM on a cool evening the temp gauge went almost to 260... :cry :cry :cry fortunately, could drive 65mph most of the way home, so watched the temp see saw back and forth from 210 to 260 and back several times. Got in the driveway without the DIC alarm going off for high temp, got out, saw the temp go back to around 260 and looked under the hood.... THE FAN WAS RUNNING!!!, but maybe only on low speed... still doesn't make sense. However, the PCM knew it was hot enough that when I tried to increase RPMs to 4k, it knocked it back down to around 2k. So back to the shop again this morning... only decent thing about this today is that my loaner is an H2! First time I have driven one of these beast wanabes. It isn't bad, drives like a stiff pickup, not as much power as the Rod... not as impressed as I thought I would be. It's nice, but no nicer IMO than any of the other larger to midsize top of the line SUVs around.... I'm looking for a 60 degree grade to climb and a 40 degree hill to traverse :D :D :D

It sounds to me that when the dealer did the repair they didn't run your SSR long enuff to let the thermostat open. So when they never got the cooling system completly full. :banghead :banghead

·
OP
8,226 Posts
bummer

I saw your SSR in the shop Thursday evening along with mine and a yellow one. Part of your problem may lay with who is working on it from my experience anyway.
Good Luck
OP

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe Today...

UPdate... it appears the new fan was OK... I'm told that they did not check the coolent level and refill after the overheating and that all is well now. Had a few other nits being worked on... replaced the bezel on the passenger door as it wouldn't open properly, and then the door handle spring was not pulling the handle all the way back into the flush position... say they now have that fixed as well. I'm just waiting on the call to come pick the rod up. :D

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Bum Techs

ampmop said:
I saw your SSR in the shop Thursday evening along with mine and a yellow one. Part of your problem may lay with who is working on it from my experience anyway.
Good Luck
OP
You may have hit this nail on the head here.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Quality Control??

Daven said:
UPdate... it appears the new fan was OK... I'm told that they did not check the coolent level and refill after the overheating and that all is well now. Had a few other nits being worked on... replaced the bezel on the passenger door as it wouldn't open properly, and then the door handle spring was not pulling the handle all the way back into the flush position... say they now have that fixed as well. I'm just waiting on the call to come pick the rod up. :D

It's a shame when the customer has to perform the quality control function for dealer service department. Be sure to let GM know they almost fried your motor because someone didn't check the coolant level after servicing the fan!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts