Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my new to me (05) SSR, came with most options plus I have several "mods" too.

What did NOT come with my ride and I'm curious as to how well it works, is that (window/wind screen dealie) that some have behind the seats.

As an old guy, my first convertible was a 61 Chevy, with what most had back then, was what was called a (panaramic windshield).............meaning the bottom corners wrapped around toward the front door and along with ..............what no longer is in vogue.....were the "wing" windows along the doors.

With the wing windows and the wrap around windshield, the front seat driver/passenger were fairly protected from the winds.

Two of three Corvettes that I have owned, were in the 80's and the last one in 2001.

The (lack of) a wrap type windshield and no door wing windows.........meant don't bother witlh any hair spray, etc. you will get major blow in the front seats.

My brief experience to date, is that with the top down on my SSR, the wind factor was NOT really bad at all. My cap and my passengers cap were not in danger of flying out the back...............So, my question becomes what advantage (if any), would having one of these (wind screen deals) be for me.:|

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Wind deflector!!!!!!!!!!!

Your wife will love you for it. You do not get the wind coming over the top of the windshield and curling around and blowing your hair from the back. Two types available, OEM is black bracket and black screen, works well, I like it because it is OEM and it filters light when the top is up. I run with the windows up when the top is down therefore don't want the side windows tinted. Works great except the when it is cold the wind will come in between the seat backs. The Clear Plastic ones fill all the way to the body so no air comes thru.
Mike in AZ at simple-engineering.com http://www.simple-engineering.com/has the OEM available on his web site.

Jack

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
We have the OEM and love it. It may be a littler darker looking through the black screen than the clear plexiglass type material. But to me it is not really a problem. Mine came that way, so I didn't have to choose.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,351 Posts
I have one of each and prefer the plexiglass. It is very effective and does not interfere with vision whether the top is up or down. The OEM wind screen is also effective but it has a dark solid frame which falls right in my line of vision in the rearview mirror and the dark screen is very effective in reducing the amount you can see in the mirror at night, especially with the top up. This unit is much easier to remove if needed for cleaning the inside of the rear window, but that is the only advantage I can find as it relates to the Plexi unit. My $.02 worth.

·
Premium Member
34,622 Posts
I also have one of each, I prefer the plexiglass but I find at night a lot of reflections from the surrounding lighting can be disturbing to the driver, but it seems to have less wind hitting you than the OEM.
The truck that has the plexiglass came without one and wifey noticed difference right away after it was installed.
Just my thoughts

:black:
:purple:
Krazy Ed

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Anyone have a good place to get a new plexiglass windscreen with the SSR logo in on the bottom?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,296 Posts
I like the clean look of not having a wind suppressor. I also didn't like the decreased visibility with the factory wind screen. After 14 years of top down driving, I'm still not finding I have enough of a wind issue to bother with one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had the factory type that came with mine that was never installed. I installed it and couldn’t tell much difference but to be fair I didn’t take it up to highway speeds. I would have never bought one. Like Flash I think it looks better without besides when you drop the top it’s gonna get windy... sort of the point I would think.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
OK, my new to me (05) SSR, came with most options plus I have several "mods" too.

What did NOT come with my ride and I'm curious as to how well it works, is that (window/wind screen dealie) that some have behind the seats.

As an old guy, my first convertible was a 61 Chevy, with what most had back then, was what was called a (panaramic windshield).............meaning the bottom corners wrapped around toward the front door and along with ..............what no longer is in vogue.....were the "wing" windows along the doors.

With the wing windows and the wrap around windshield, the front seat driver/passenger were fairly protected from the winds.

Two of three Corvettes that I have owned, were in the 80's and the last one in 2001.

The (lack of) a wrap type windshield and no door wing windows.........meant don't bother witlh any hair spray, etc. you will get major blow in the front seats.

My brief experience to date, is that with the top down on my SSR, the wind factor was NOT really bad at all. My cap and my passengers cap were not in danger of flying out the back...............So, my question becomes what advantage (if any), would having one of these (wind screen deals) be for me.:|
I've lost a couple of Hats, I don't think the Wind suppressor really stops the hat from flying off.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I like the factory on mine. However, mine is Smok'n Asphalt and it looks like it fits right in. I think that is a big plus.

I do think the reflection off a glass one would bother me. I take mine off when I'm not going to have my top down for a while. (Like now)

Dave

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a screen one in the SSR and had a solid one on my corvette. I think they both help some. The corvette had much more wind inside than the SSR does. I did have cap problems with the corvette sometimes even with the screen. With the screen in the SSR I have never felt like I was about to lose my cap. I notice that my wife held her cap often in the corvette but I have not seen her doing that in the SSR. It's all good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts