Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys - I'm nearly sure of my decision to buy an SSR.

But I have to ask first, really, what EXACTLY is involved in replacing the stereo? I.e. is there a way to replace HU and leave speakers and wiring? if that's possible can the RDM connect the chimes back up afterward? If NOT then what is?

EDIT: Realize I'm not even touching the car myself for this, I'd ask any and all of you to recommend installers in the DC area or you can help me out yourself for cash and beer ;)

Interesting things to note or find out:

- Does the C6 Vette stereo fit? Plug/play? (either of the higher units that is)

- Friend of mine claims he's found an adapter to put a new head unit in his C5 which will work with the Bose stuff - should this work the same in SSR?

- Will a Pioneer AVIC-D1 or Kenwood DDX7015 fit? I thought I saw a DDX unit in another thread, here. Any cutting required? I just want an all in one CD/MP3/XM/Nav touchscreen, really. (and then we're back to the chimes question and the popular steering-wheel-controls question.)

Thx!
Dave

·
Registered
601 Posts
jammadave said:
Okay guys - I'm nearly sure of my decision to buy an SSR.

But I have to ask first, really, what EXACTLY is involved in replacing the stereo? I.e. is there a way to replace HU and leave speakers and wiring? if that's possible can the RDM connect the chimes back up afterward? If NOT then what is?

EDIT: Realize I'm not even touching the car myself for this, I'd ask any and all of you to recommend installers in the DC area or you can help me out yourself for cash and beer ;)

Interesting things to note or find out:

- Does the C6 Vette stereo fit? Plug/play? (either of the higher units that is)

- Friend of mine claims he's found an adapter to put a new head unit in his C5 which will work with the Bose stuff - should this work the same in SSR?

- Will a Pioneer AVIC-D1 or Kenwood DDX7015 fit? I thought I saw a DDX unit in another thread, here. Any cutting required? I just want an all in one CD/MP3/XM/Nav touchscreen, really. (and then we're back to the chimes question and the popular steering-wheel-controls question.)

Thx!
Dave
I have replaced alot of my car stereos before. In the pass if you replace the head Unit with a better one than factory, you should also replace the speakers. You want your speakers to be better than your head unit. If you don't they will blow.

For your all in one. Check the search I know that one person from the site did something like that. But he own a stereo shop in florida. Search the site becuase I remember his number being posted.

But other than that it should fit with some type of plate to cover the area that the head unit does not cover.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brownhornet said:
But other than that it should fit with some type of plate to cover the area that the head unit does not cover.
Well thanks man - my desired unit is a 2-DIN so it's too big if anything, but like I said the Kenwood (2-DIN) appears to fit.

As for the rest of what you said, I guess I need wayyyy more detail than "replace the speakers if you replace the HU" - I dont know how to change anything but what CD's in the deck, if you get my drift.

·
Registered
601 Posts
jammadave said:
Well thanks man - my desired unit is a 2-DIN so it's too big if anything, but like I said the Kenwood (2-DIN) appears to fit.

As for the rest of what you said, I guess I need wayyyy more detail than "replace the speakers if you replace the HU" - I dont know how to change anything but what CD's in the deck, if you get my drift.

When I say replace the speakers. I mean the speakers from the factory are low wattage. Your head unit that you are putting in produces higher wattage than what your speakers can handle. So replacing them with higher wattage speakers will make the sound much better.

S

·
0 Posts
I'm currently replacing my stereo with all Kenwood Excelon. The 7015 fits perfect with NO cutting, and in the doors I'm using a 7" and 5.25" component set. I haven't figured it out yet but will this weekend.

:seeya

CLICK HERE FOR SVS2U !

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
smitty said:
I'm currently replacing my stereo with all Kenwood Excelon. The 7015 fits perfect with NO cutting, and in the doors I'm using a 7" and 5.25" component set. I haven't figured it out yet but will this weekend.
That's exactly it - if you could tell me how the head unit interfaces with the stock connections, if at all, that's a great start - the speakers sound OK to me at quick reference, but I'll play a bunch of tunes over the weekend and really find out if I need to replace them right now.

That said, my unit may well be Pioneer or something else, but I'll go with the Kenwood if it's straightforward and simple.

S

·
0 Posts
Kenwood is the easiest head on the market to use from my experience with dealing with customers in the past years. You can get a Bose adapter to link the system together but I really hated the way my stereo sounded with the top down. The Bose amp turn on wire is a class 2 data wire (digital) this is why you need the adapter. I also have Nav and XM wired into the Kenwood and also a 60 gig hard drive called a Music Keg for all my tunes so I don't have to carry any CDs around, because we're so limited on space.

I really like the 715 but I really didn't want something flipping out of the dash.

Guys let me know if you need anything I can save you all some money I'm sure!

My Company

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
smitty said:
You can get a Bose adapter to link the system together but I really hated the way my stereo sounded with the top down.
Does this mean you tried it with the HU and adapter only first, and then changed the speaks out because you didn't like the result?

I also have Nav and XM wired into the Kenwood and also a 60 gig hard drive called a Music Keg for all my tunes so I don't have to carry any CDs around, because we're so limited on space.
I would want Nav and XM for sure! But between those and the Keg, where did you put all the hardware? Does the Music Keg have a USB port for, say, a JumpDrive to load tunes into it? And lastly, does the 7015 have aux AV inputs? May want to pop a GameCube in there at the video game convention I go to each year, that kind of thing.

Guys let me know if you need anything I can save you all some money I'm sure!
Hell yeah. Basically, I want the exact same rig you have =0) Speakers optional, based on whether I like the sound or not with the new HU. Send me a parts and labor list and maybe I'll have to come to GA this summer ;) Or I can have a friend of mine do it if I can't wait.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts