Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I posted that my pipes melted the back of my truck and I see no one had anything to say well 4 days ago I was parked at the race track talking to a friend and a race car in front of me backed right into the front of my truck, I took it two places and they both said it would be $2200 plus what ever is in there that we don't see, I am having a lot of trouble with my insurance and might just have to pay it my self, Things could be worse I see where a member lost his to some low life or low lifes or worse yet he never looked if someone had been standing in front of the truck
 

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
Joined
·
9,315 Posts
After that, I think I would stay in bed for about a week! Didn't read your post about the pipes melting your truck...sheeeeeeesh...don't know what would make me feel worse...something I had done :confused or something done to me :mad . Hope your day/week/month/year gets better. :)
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Hope this week goes better for you!

Sounds like the race car might be responsible for the damage it did to your SSR--unless you were parked in a restricted area??? Not sure of the circumstances, but that may be something to look into.

I didn't see your post about the truck's hiney melting-when I looked up the post, I see it had to do with Flow-Masters...so I guess I probably missed it...sorry!!

As artsmart said, hope things get better for you.

wipurplechick
"If I must get wrinkles, please let them be laugh lines!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,003 Posts
artsmart said:
After that, I think I would stay in bed for about a week! Didn't read your post about the pipes melting your truck...sheeeeeeesh...don't know what would make me feel worse...something I had done :confused or something done to me :mad . Hope your day/week/month/year gets better. :)
:agree
 

·
Machell
Joined
·
20,829 Posts
Why would you be having trouble with your insurance? Seems the race car should be footing the bill! There have been issues with other people having the back of the truck melt after replacing the tips. Sorry that happened yet again! Maybe you will get past this and have a great week!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
If it makes you feel any better....The third week I had mine (about a month ago), I left my truck running (with the door open) to check the mail....I dropped a piece of mail and when I looked up...my truck kicked out of park and was heading straight for me and the brick mailbox.... I swung my leg around and tried to hit the brake and the truck knocked me down, ran over my foot, ankle and leg, the door hit the mailbox, bent the door completely backwards against the fender and then backed into my yard..... Anyway...After I jumped up and said a few "choice" words, the guys building the house next door come over to check on me.... Other than a few scratches and a bruised ego, I was fine....

The good news....my insurance did not give me that much grief.....I did get ragged a lot at work.... I guess I got the last laugh... The insurance did cover some of the labor for my flame paint job....

So if you have to get it fixed....it is the perfect time to get a custom paint job.....
 

·
Boop Op A Doop
Joined
·
30,422 Posts
Hell Week

:reddevil :reddevil

Oh My God :angel haven't had one of these weeks. Hope I never do! Your two stories should be in the SSR Experience Book. I feel so bad for both of you!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
wipurplechick said:
Sounds like the race car might be responsible for the damage it did to your SSR--unless you were parked in a restricted area??? Not sure of the circumstances, but that may be something to look into.

I didn't see your post about the truck's hiney melting-when I looked up the post, I see it had to do with Flow-Masters...so I guess I probably missed it...sorry!!

As artsmart said, hope things get better for you.

wipurplechick
"If I must get wrinkles, please let them be laugh lines!"
Well the race car would have been responsible if he would have come over but he wouldn't come over and talk to me so I have no name or number, Couldn't call the police because of the rules at the track. I wasn't in a restricted area, I have 4 people that seen him do it and have there phone numbers but the insurance wants more I guess The pipes that melted the back I emailed FlowMaster and this is what they said, Could it be because they are aluminized ?
 

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
Joined
·
6,323 Posts
Melting

I would say that it is not because of the aluminum but because that the pipes are single wall and too close to the plastic body panel. I think the stock pipes are double wall which makes the outside area somewhat cooler. Some companies sell exhaust tips that have a double wall. I'm pretty sure the Magnaflow I bought for my Yukon was double walled.

Either buy new tips or make the external opening smaller so that the pipes are not as close to the body panels as they are now.

As far as the racecar accident, the car had a number on it and the driver was registered to drive at the track. Can the track provide a name and phone number or address? If nothing else I would be calling the people that saw the issue and get more information from them.

Good luck
:seeya


Double-L said:
The pipes that melted the back I emailed FlowMaster and this is what they said, Could it be because they are aluminized ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dragon2U said:
I would say that it is not because of the aluminum but because that the pipes are single wall and too close to the plastic body panel. I think the stock pipes are double wall which makes the outside area somewhat cooler. Some companies sell exhaust tips that have a double wall. I'm pretty sure the Magnaflow I bought for my Yukon was double walled.

Either buy new tips or make the external opening smaller so that the pipes are not as close to the body panels as they are now.

As far as the racecar accident, the car had a number on it and the driver was registered to drive at the track. Can the track provide a name and phone number or address? If nothing else I would be calling the people that saw the issue and get more information from them.

Good luck
:seeya
Well as the pipes go if you can keep them dead centered of the cutouts you are ok but seems the pipes when they get hot wants to move so you need some good heavy-duty hangers and clamps, I wouldn't want to go with the stock small tip and don't know if they make any double wall tips as big as you need for the FlowMaster cat backs, On the number I should have said my wife taped his race car and yes you get the number and the date the car run and they tell you who drove the car that night but not if they remove the number before they get back, That is why he said he would be right back, Made a run took the numbers off the car on the return road and loaded it up and was gone, I have called the ones that saw what happen and three of them I have never meet in my life and they said they would tell what they saw to anyone but makes no diff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Well Double-L from your employment status
TAKE HIM OUT
:reddevil
Bard or is it ;)
:ssr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DetTweety said:
Well Double-L from your employment status
TAKE HIM OUT
:reddevil
Bard or is it ;)
:ssr
To tell the truth you have not been the first to say that but that is not even in my mind, Now punching him out is there but that isn't worth it either
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,950 Posts
I had magnaflow pipes with double walls and the pipes shifted the first hour I was driving it and melted the bumper. But you could only see the melted part if you looked in between pipe and the bumper. I thought it was more the fault of the installer than of Magnaflow. The installer readjusted the pipes twice since the install and now everything is great.

As far as not involving the police because of track rules :confused ??? I would file a police report anyway (even if it is too late to do anything about it....because you never know, it may not be too late). I heard some insurance companies say "no police report, no money."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looking4_an_ssr said:
I had magnaflow pipes with double walls and the pipes shifted the first hour I was driving it and melted the bumper. But you could only see the melted part if you looked in between pipe and the bumper. I thought it was more the fault of the installer than of Magnaflow. The installer readjusted the pipes twice since the install and now everything is great.

As far as not involving the police because of track rules :confused ??? I would file a police report anyway (even if it is too late to do anything about it....because you never know, it may not be too late). I heard some insurance companies say "no police report, no money."
Well the more people I talk to about all the after market exhaust says the real problem is the pipes are aluminum or a high content and when they get hot they try to straighten back out and that is the problem, After they get hot and cool a few times it isn't to much of a problem from then on, Hope so, Well it is private property and not really track rules, The owner of the track can call the police but that is about it, My insurance already had a place come and get my truck so what ever
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,950 Posts
Double-L said:
Well the more people I talk to about all the after market exhaust says the real problem is the pipes are aluminum or a high content and when they get hot they try to straighten back out and that is the problem, After they get hot and cool a few times it isn't to much of a problem from then on, Hope so, Well it is private property and not really track rules, The owner of the track can call the police but that is about it, My insurance already had a place come and get my truck so what ever

Well I hope things work out..
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top