Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that my '06 temperature gauge stays at exactly 210 degrees after warmup in the morning and while driving on the freeway. Outside air temp between 65 and 85 degrees. This indicates to me that the set point for the t-stat is 210. :eek Comparatively, my '05 regulated at 195 in the same conditions. Did GM change the t-stat to a 210 for the '06? I hope not...... It looks like I'll be squawking this when I take it in for the first service visit.

Looking for feedback from other owners on the regulation point for thermostats, especially another '06.

Wingrider
- comments?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Just a voyeur now...
154 Posts
I can't speak for an '06, but my '05 seems to run 'normal' at about 210, but I believe there's a problem with the fan. There has been a lot of discussion about this in earlier threads, but what I noticed with mine is that it will start to climb if I'm waiting through a line at a drive-through, but I can cool it down by turning on the A/C (which does start the fan). I did a little experiment - let it get hot, verify that the fan is not moving, then turn on the A/C just long enough for the fan to start. When I turn off then A/C, the fan keeps running. It was mentioned in another thread that the main load on an electric fan is getting it moving; I now believe it. I'll be getting mine looked at by the service dept. on a future visit, but for now I'd rather just keep driving...

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
About Your Temp On Your Ssr. The Thermostate Opens At 195 Gm's Part Number For 03-05 Is 12581595.. 06 Is Part#12600171 It Also Opens At 195. I Just Got Off The With Phone With Par-tec Witch Is Gm's Parts In Michagin. All Your Emission's Start Working At This Temp. I Also Have A 04 Cts-v And A 05 Ssr Both Run About 200-210 Never Had A Problem. 20,000 On The Cts-v And 4,000 On The Ssr Hope This Will Ease You A Little ...........mark

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mark,

I read the '05 service manual on this topic and it indicates that the t-stat should begin to open at 188 and be fully open at 202. This would make sense with a t-stat that is 195 (+/- 7 degrees for regualtion), but I think the t-stat in mine is a quality escape that needs to be replaced. The '05 that I put 2700 miles on had "normal" regualtion at 195 and this truck is exactly 15 degrees higher. I'm not going to whine about it, just want to be sure it is right before I replace it. No issues right now, as Phoenix tems are down until next May.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Mike if you would feel more comfertable by all means have it replaced, but the gauges in the I.P. don't read exactly what the temp is, there real closebut the only way to get an true reading is with a TECH2 scanner. but 210 wouldn't concern me at all and doesn't. Just check to make sure your fans are turning on by turning your a/c on and then the fans should turn on within 60 seconds. :seeya

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Temp. 210

Mike, I picked up my 06 SSR two weeks ago with 51 miles on it. Now have 1600 miles on it. Temp stayed at 210 all the time after warm up. And it was a very short warm up. I think we are OK. Let me know if you here any difference. Mason

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks wingrider,

I plan to have the t-stat replaced, but wanted to be sure that GM had not raised the system temp to get emissions better or hold tolerances tighter. It looks more to me that something is off by 15 degrees and the t-stat is the easiest to change.

On a separate note..... Is there a way that I can procure a Tech2 scanner with "read only" capability? I'm not interested in reprogramming the performance maps or the torque management system, but with a scanner and my Service manuals, I should be able to see everything. Recommendations?

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mason 57,

Looks like we have the same observation. I would like to see a couple other '06 owners notes on this.

I wonder what the difference is for the Part Number 12600171 that RSSRTOY spoke of? Seems kinda odd that GM would change a P/N for '06 and keep the same temp setting......

Mike

·
Registered
123 Posts
temp.

I picked up my '06 in Dallas last week. Drove it 1200 miles back to So.Cal. in all kinds of temperatures and conditions. It heats up quickly to 210 and stays right there. Fan is working correctly. I see no problem with a consistant 210. :)

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Mike: Most (all?) of the aftermarket "scanners" available at places like Autozone will "read" most or all of the fields in he PCM that the Tech II does. I can't recall the brand names (as I use EFILive tuning software which includes this functionality), but if you check the sale flyers for one or two of the auto accessory chains and then check out the product websites, I think you'll easily find what you are looking for. The cst is generally a couple hundred dollars.

Note that HP Tuners and EFILive for sure, and likely LS1Edit, include scanner capability in their software and cable package. Since either can be bought for $500 to $700, and provides FULL scanning and tuning capability, and even ability to accept live inputs from exahust gas analyzers,etc, this is a more costly but ultimately more powerful and full featured way to go.

With one of these tuning packages, you can safely download and "save" your factory stock tuning file, while running a modified one in your SSR. The factory one can then be restored anytime you need to (like when going in for service).

The tuning software also of course would allow you to experiment with different fan on and fan off settings.

Jim G

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
IN REGARDS TO MASON 57 THERMOSAT QUESTION. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO THERMOSAT IS AS FOLLOWS. AS PER GM PAR-TEC. THE NEW ONE USED ON 2006 SSR HAS A REVISED BYE PASS VALVE TO REDUCE NOISE.... WHAT NOISE CAN YOU HEAR WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING????? :confused 03-05 STYLE WILL BE USED UNTIL STOCK IS DEPLEATED........MARK :seeya

1 - 12 of 12 Posts