Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

I took the SSR to show a friend and I didn;'t notice last evening when I picked it up, but they drilled holes in the fromt of the SSR and put on the License Plate Bracket..... I could not believe it.

They are offering to remove it, fix the holes and paint the areas where they drilled - he promised he could "make it go away".

Should I :

1) Keep the Plate - it does not look that bad on an SSR (like it does on a Prowler or a Viper)

2) Make them fix it ?

3) Make them put a New Front Facia ?

They initially said that they put one on Every car since Ohio is a two Plate State but I assure you, they do not do that on Corvettes......

Can a Body Shop accurately repaint the Aqua Blurr - It would be on the two lover Horizontal Bars on the Front end.

Advice ?

Thanks,

John

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Have them redo it!!! My dealer put mine on and I had to fix it myself!!!!:( I have been taking my chances with the locals, so far (knock on wood) no problems!

·
Registered
483 Posts
My brass hat Red 05 came just with two pretty little screws installed in front:banghead :banghead :banghead and NO frame holder to be found anywhere.:eek .I kinda like 'em now that I'm over the the initial "don't wanna get it dirty" stage..I shy away from silvers or metallic paints for the exact reason they seem to be SO difficult to match..Far as the plate goes, the front will never be original again once the screws are in anyway..somehow I'd rather have the screws than risk a bad paint/bondo match..seems paint can age differently.. :leaving

·
Registered
288 Posts
Tell them to fix it and that you had intended on buying an after market plate holder that mounts from under the front.:cool :cool

·
Registered
893 Posts
Fix it!

QUOTE=subman576]Tell them to fix it and that you had intended on buying an after market plate holder that mounts from under the front.:cool :cool[/QUOTE]

:agree :agree :agree Make'em fix...( replace the facia) They screwed it up......:smash :smash Thats the only way you'll be truly satisified.......:seeya

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Whitewolf said:
QUOTE=subman576]Tell them to fix it and that you had intended on buying an after market plate holder that mounts from under the front.:cool :cool
:agree :agree :agree Make'em fix...( replace the facia) They screwed it up......:smash :smash Thats the only way you'll be truly satisified.......:seeya[/QUOTE]

On my '04 they had drilled the holes:mad I had it fixed because I didn't like the plate there. $300.00 to repair. They took the front grille off the truck to do this. You would NOT know there were ever any holes there. I would vote to have them repair this. :) My plate holder now comes up from under the front.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone had aqua blurr repainted ? How did it turn out ?

I was inclined to just keep it on as it doesn't look all that bad and with personalized plates would be OK..... Until the Wife saw it and said; " Well, if it was on straight that would be one thing., but it is off center". It is off center by about 1/2 inch so I do not want it on.

I am inclined to let them do it. Just let them know if it’s not to my satisfaction, they will be replacing the whole thing. They promised me it would look perfect.....

John

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
Stray Cat said:
Has anyone had aqua blurr repainted ? How did it turn out ?

I was inclined to just keep it on as it doesn't look all that bad and with personalized plates would be OK..... Until the Wife saw it and said; " Well, if it was on straight that would be one thing., but it is off center". It is off center by about 1/2 inch so I do not want it on.

I am inclined to let them do it. Just let them know if it’s not to my satisfaction, they will be replacing the whole thing. They promised me it would look perfect.....

John
If you email me [email protected] I will email you back a pic of my '06 Blur with front personalized plate. Haven't figured out how to put pics here.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The hood was repainted on my Ultra Violet by the dealer and you can not tell the differance. I am told the base color is the same as the Aqua.:cool :cool

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Keep it since Ohio is a two plate state. That way you avoid the hassle of being stopped and being asled where is your front plate plus it dosen't look that bad.
From what I understand Ohio is a pretty strict state or it use to be.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem with keeping in on is that the goof ball who mounted it mounted it on there off center and it is very noticible.....

If they paint it and it does not look right, I will have them replace it. I know that there are body shops that can match any paint well. Just worried about this color.

I have a Prowler and a Viper that have no front plate - never had any problems yet. Ohio is supposed to repeal the front license requirement.

John

·
Registered
416 Posts
My Jeep Grand Cherokee has (and my previous Chrysler 300M had) small "guide" indentations on the front fascia, so that if you (or the dealer) "had" to install the front license plate frame, you stood a better than average chance of actually getting it centered and level. I notice the SSR doesn't have these.

The only acceptable solution -- for all vehicles -- is a front license plate mounting "system" that can be installed / removed without damaging the fascia. Is that really asking too much? Those of us who move more frequently than we change vehicles (I once moved with the same two vehicles from Georgia to Florida to Georgia to Texas in less than 3 years) need to be able to add and remove front plates according to our current state of residence, and it would be nice to do so without damaging the appearance of our expensive rides.

And don't even get me started on window stickers!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Be very careful about having a dealer body shop repair the fascia. I'm an Engineer for a company that made flex fascias for years and many body shops will try to save money by using a standard paint made for sheetmetal, its cheaper. The paint that is used on fascias needs to have a flex polymer in it, and standard bondo is not appropriate for fascias but again many shops will try to use it for a cost savings and think they can get away with it on small areas. The repair can be done but it has to be done right or it will flake off if there is something that causes a flex in the surface of the fascia such as flutter during driving at highway speeds. Just be careful about how the repair is done and what material are used.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks -

Old Biker - can you tell me exactly what I should make sure of ? I know Bondo shouldnt go in the rubber front end, and with regards to paint, I'll interview him extensively before they touch it. Otherwise, I'll take it to a shop here in Dayton that is exceptional. Frank Z is supposed to have an excellent shop.

Thanks,

John

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Stray Cat said:
Thanks -

Old Biker - can you tell me exactly what I should make sure of ? I know Bondo shouldnt go in the rubber front end, and with regards to paint, I'll interview him extensively before they touch it. Otherwise, I'll take it to a shop here in Dayton that is exceptional. Frank Z is supposed to have an excellent shop.

Thanks,

John
John,
Go up to the Search and type in Bumper Holes. :yesnod

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Mason - I'll look into this. I think that making sure that the do it properly with the right stuff is important. I think it will tuirn out OK.

Sincerely,

John

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Stray Cat: I have a Aqua Blur, beautiful aren't they. I also had my engine cover painted to match. Another nice job. Regarding your holes. If you get too demanding, (I know they drilled the holes) but you will get off to a bad start with this dealer. Let him repair (fill) the holes and paint to your satisification. That's better than removing the entire front of the vehicle and taking a chance of screwing up something else. Good luck from 'old dealer rat'!

·
Registered
2005 SSR
436 Posts
Had fascia on Vette "repaired and painted" four years ago after being hit by a 1 ton camper rig hard enough to knock it out of alignment in a parking lot.

Fix is still good to this day with a lot of hard use.

I'd fix it.

Washington is a (Hard) two plate state. I have the custom bracket on the SSR that comes up from the underside supports. Makes it look even lower than the Ground Force spring kit.

Not Yet
Skip

1 - 20 of 22 Posts