Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are looking for an inexpensive scan tool that lets you scan all the modules in your car and has bi-directional capabilities, then the Thinkcar ThinkDiag scan tool might just be for you.

I walk you through the various options to purchase the device, what the software subscriptions are for this product and I show you a few examples of the ThinkDiag performing some bi-directional testing of two of my cars.

I'm currently investigating a couple of issues with this tool when using it with the Chevy SSR.
  • Adding Key FOBs - Doesn't work, but should work
    • ThinkDiag function listing claims it supports adding key fobs
    • Two issues
      • Their "maintenance module" named RESETIMMO for the immobilizer functionality for multiple car brands is reported to support this feature
        • I tested it, but it doesn't actually work
        • I've supplied info to Thinkcar tech support to diagnose the problem
      • If a maintenance module (in this case RESETIMMO) provide a feature for a specific vehicle, the ThinkDiag diagnostic module should have the same feature
        • The GM/BUICK/CADILLAC/CHEVROLET diagnostic module does not present the "Add Key Remote" feature when it should be there since the RESETIMMO has that feature
        • I've reported that issue to Thinkcar support
  • Android phone used with ThinkDiag device does display an error when first starting one of the ThinkDiag software modules when retrieving info from the SSR
    • Seems to only occur when starting one of the software modules when it first interacts with the SSR (VIN retrieval).
    • If you attempt the exact same thing after the error occurred, it will always succeed and you never see the error while in the diagnostic module, maintenance module or their OBD-II software module.
    • I updated the firmware on the ThinkDiag per Thinkcar support's request once again on 8-Jun-2021, after that update the error condition occurs far less (like 90% less).
The ThinkDiag GM/BUICK/CADILLAC/CHEVROLET diagnostic module can scan and work with all of the various subsystems in the Chevy SSR including the Roof and Door Module (RDM). It does provide bi-directional tests for the RDM and so far the ones I've tested "work" as well as most non OEM tests work. You can also view live data from the RDM as well.

In the video, I use the ThinkDiag to test the SSR cooling fan by having the powertrain control module exercise "Relay 1" (low speed) and "Relay 2" high speed for the radiator cooling fan. I also test the RDM by having the RDM move the driver's door window down/up (although it does not go all the way down nor all of the way up).

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Key FOB Programming Info Update 17-Jun-2021

While testing the ThinkDiag scan tool with my 2004 SSR, I found that key FOB programming was a supported feature in the maintenance module named RESETIMMO. I tested their add a key FOB logic and it did not work. I've spent the past couple of weeks working with Thinkcar Support over email (mostly late at night) to get them to acknowledge the problem. On 16-Jun-2021, they acknowledged that a problem does exist in their current implementation of the add a key FOB for the Chevy SSR. Thinkcar Support stated that they will fix it in the next release of the RESETIMMO module.

I reminded them of two other issues directly related to this same feature.

The model year range listed for the Chevy SSR when attempting to add a key FOB was 2004-2006. I asked them to correct that to be 2003-2006.

The second issue is that any functionality that appears in a maintenance module (like RESETIMMO module to add a key FOB), should also be in the diagnostic module (in the case of the SSR in the GM/BUICK/CADILLAC/CHEVROLET diagnostic module). Last night, they asked me for proof of these two issues (again). I sent them the same info (video link) for these two issues. They're now looking into those two issues as well.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to say that working with Thinkcar's support group over email, is a bit challenging. It would appear that a different person responds to each email you send them (on the same issue/problem). It has made for some frustrating evenings when they ask to me to do the same thing I've already done and provided to them......🤬

Thinkcar has acknowledged the that RESETIMMO maintenance module's implementation of the add a key FOB to the SSR is broken. They've stated it will be fixed in the "next release".

Thinkcar has finally acknowledged that the add key FOB functionality is missing from the GM diagnostic module when it should be there. It will be included in the next release of the GM/BUICK/CADILLAC/CHEVROLET diagnostic module. The next update release for that diagnostic module is scheduled for September 2021.

I've done everything I can on that front (for now) and we'll have to wait for them to release the updates to those two modules (RESETIMMO maintenance module and GM/BUICK/CADILLAC/CHEVROLET diagnostic module).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts