Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been almost 2 years since I traded my '05 Asphalt Black SSR in on a new Corvette. It seemed like a good idea at the time and don't get me wrong, I do love my 'Vette but I don't quite have the same degree of passion and fondness (close but not quite equal) for it that I had and still have for my SSR. Even though the Corvette in terms of performance and features will blow the doors off the SSR, there is just something about the looks, feel and uniqueness of the SSR that as the saying goes just puts a grin on your face.
So now I find myself on the hunt for another SSR to restore the passion. Have my heart set on a 05/06 Silver with 6 speed. There are none available here in Canada but have found a few in the US. Have initiated contact with the sellers so we will see what happens.
Now that having been said I also have my eye on a 17 Camaro SS with the 2SS package with 6 speed which is available locally. The features and amenities and power are pretty cool and it lands for a lot less money than an SSR and parts/mods are a whole lot easier to come by.
If I go the SSR route I trust and hope that Mike and Simple Engineering are and will continue to be around for some time to come.
My wife prefers that I go with the SSR because it is unique and as she rightly points out (don't tell her I said that) if I want terrifying acceleration and speed I will still have the Corvette. Dang,don't you hate it when the ladies are always so logical.
Decisions, decisions. Which way to go!? Thank you all for your patience and letting me rant.
If you have any illuminating words of wisdom, I would love to hear them.
ByronF

·
Slingshot Rules!
75,299 Posts

Absolutely amazing, Byron . . . How many times have I heard the same "song" from guys that are looking to buy an SSR after having owned and then sold their previous SSR. Also applies to my 1986 Jeep CJ-7.

SELLER'S REMORSE?

Good Luck on your search.

! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: ! :mad: !

·
Registered
79 Posts
Corvette...,
nice for sure but lack originality
the wife calls them “DAD’s “ ( dime a dozen )
My brother is / was a Vette guy until his business took off
he switched up to Ferrari, (his daily is a 2016 Vette )
I need to pay him a Visit😎

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
It has been almost 2 years since I traded my '05 Asphalt Black SSR in on a new Corvette. It seemed like a good idea at the time and don't get me wrong, I do love my 'Vette but I don't quite have the same degree of passion and fondness (close but not quite equal) for it that I had and still have for my SSR. Even though the Corvette in terms of performance and features will blow the doors off the SSR, there is just something about the looks, feel and uniqueness of the SSR that as the saying goes just puts a grin on your face.
So now I find myself on the hunt for another SSR to restore the passion. Have my heart set on a 05/06 Silver with 6 speed. There are none available here in Canada but have found a few in the US. Have initiated contact with the sellers so we will see what happens.
Now that having been said I also have my eye on a 17 Camaro SS with the 2SS package with 6 speed which is available locally. The features and amenities and power are pretty cool and it lands for a lot less money than an SSR and parts/mods are a whole lot easier to come by.
If I go the SSR route I trust and hope that Mike and Simple Engineering are and will continue to be around for some time to come.
My wife prefers that I go with the SSR because it is unique and as she rightly points out (don't tell her I said that) if I want terrifying acceleration and speed I will still have the Corvette. Dang,don't you hate it when the ladies are always so logical.
Decisions, decisions. Which way to go!? Thank you all for your patience and letting me rant.
If you have any illuminating words of wisdom, I would love to hear them.
ByronF
:rolleyes:
If one filters thru all of your commentary..........you've already made and/or should know the outcome.

There is really no argument here............go find the SSR that winds your watch and then you'll be good to go.;)

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I have found the SSR that "winds my watch" but it appears that my return to the SSR world may have come to a grinding halt over a front licence plate bracket. Front plates are a legal requirement here, in fact because it is a truck the renewal sticker has to be applied to the front plate.
Nothing available in for sale section here, can't find one on the Simple Engineering site. The only thing I can find is something called a sh-n-go but no indications that it works nor how to install one on an SSR.
Any ideas on how to overcome this problem.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Go ahead and get he Camaro. Get it out of your system. Then you'll know where your heart lies. I'm betting we'll see you back here soon. Although there are lots of better vehicles, there's nothing quite like an SSR.

·
Premium Member
38,445 Posts
Well I have found the SSR that "winds my watch" but it appears that my return to the SSR world may have come to a grinding halt over a front licence plate bracket. Front plates are a legal requirement here, in fact because it is a truck the renewal sticker has to be applied to the front plate.
Nothing available in for sale section here, can't find one on the Simple Engineering site. The only thing I can find is something called a sh-n-go but no indications that it works nor how to install one on an SSR.
Welcome back Byron, I have a new front license plate holder I bought some years ago. I'll have to look for it but I know I have one. I bought it for when I got a 2nd SSR, just in case it didn't one.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ed, it is really great to hear from you. I tried to search for you on this site with no luck and of course I couldn't find your card.
So how are you doing, how is Marg? Really hope you guys are doing well!
That would be great if you have one of those front plate holders. Means I can carry on with sorting out the details for my new beast. I have found what looks to be a beauty in silver with a stick. I can't stop drooling over it.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,657 Posts
Welcome back! Get you new truck squared away and join us in Cincinnati for the 2021 international rally!

·
Premium Member
38,445 Posts
Ed, it is really great to hear from you. I tried to search for you on this site with no luck and of course I couldn't find your card.
So how are you doing, how is Marg? Really hope you guys are doing well!
That would be great if you have one of those front plate holders. Means I can carry on with sorting out the details for my new beast. I have found what looks to be a beauty in silver with a stick. I can't stop drooling over it.
I will look for it tomorrow, when I find it will send you a PM/conversation.

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
I have bought and sold 4 SSR's and guess what, I'm looking again. You really never get it out of your system. There is just a "something" attraction that gets you. Go get the SSR and keep this one. :)

Reactions: DOOPHUS

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,552 Posts
Send a Conversation to @Mike in AZ and ask. They may be on back order or just out of stock.

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
Drove a new Camaro SS/6 speed. Serious horsepower and performance, and would be a great track car, but I found it claustrophobic. I'm only 5'10", but the difference in headroom with the SSR is significant.

Love my truck.

We're down to 3 provinces that still require a front plate. Hopefully that will come to an end soon, and I can stop driving illegally.

Reactions: Marc NY and nj6969
1 - 20 of 60 Posts