Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
It is the "uniqueness" of the SSR that is one of the attributes that makes our SSR's so very special. That Camero SS will never be unique and is simply a step down from the Vette. What do you really gain? That unique bug will sneak up on you again and the hunt will begin all over again! That silver 6 speed is calling your name! Front license plate holder issue has been addressed and if that falls through, I think I may have one for you! GO FOR IT!!! 馃槈
May your PermaGrin live forever! 馃榿

Reactions: Trygodfirst

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #22
Have to agree that the Camaro SS feels claustrophobic compared to the SSR and the sight lines are not as good, just have to use the mirrors more carefully. The Vette is kind of the same, you get down in it and strap it on. While the Camaro is a fast car it ain't as quick as my Corvette which does 0-60 mph in just over 3 seconds. Kind of like strapping yourself on to a rocket that usually requires a change of underwear every time I test it out - lol!
But the fond memories I have of my last SSR have led me to decision to get back into one.
That way I get the best of both worlds, an SSR that puts a grin on my face and I get to keep my Corvette for those days I want to scare the heck out of myself.
Just what I need, another car that will never the see rain or winter conditions.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Well today I pulled the trigger and bought my SSR. It is a 05 Silver with a 6 speed. It is coming out of the US to me here in Canada and hopefully will be loaded on the transport truck on Monday. The carrier tells me about 7-10days for delivery to my door. The carrier is arranging all the customs clearance for me. It needs to clear both US (export) and Canadian (import) customs. Must have signed about 30 documents so far. Now I just have to sit here and wait patiently for it to show up.
Here is a picture of it

Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
Congratulations!!! Nice.

Nick

Premium Member
Congratulations! It's a beauty and you'll LOVE that 6 speed! I sure do! Went from an auto to manual and couldn't be happier! Hope this next 7-10 days passes quickly for you! 馃槈

Premium Member
Well today I pulled the trigger and bought my SSR. It is a 05 Silver with a 6 speed. It is coming out of the US to me here in Canada and hopefully will be loaded on the transport truck on Monday. The carrier tells me about 7-10days for delivery to my door. The carrier is arranging all the customs clearance for me. It needs to clear both US (export) and Canadian (import) customs. Must have signed about 30 documents so far. Now I just have to sit here and wait patiently for it to show up.
Here is a picture of it
View attachment 589247
Congrats Byron 馃憤 very nice!

Registered
2005 Silver 6 speed
It has been almost 2 years since I traded my '05 Asphalt Black SSR in on a new Corvette. It seemed like a good idea at the time and don't get me wrong, I do love my 'Vette but I don't quite have the same degree of passion and fondness (close but not quite equal) for it that I had and still have for my SSR. Even though the Corvette in terms of performance and features will blow the doors off the SSR, there is just something about the looks, feel and uniqueness of the SSR that as the saying goes just puts a grin on your face.
So now I find myself on the hunt for another SSR to restore the passion. Have my heart set on a 05/06 Silver with 6 speed. There are none available here in Canada but have found a few in the US. Have initiated contact with the sellers so we will see what happens.
Now that having been said I also have my eye on a 17 Camaro SS with the 2SS package with 6 speed which is available locally. The features and amenities and power are pretty cool and it lands for a lot less money than an SSR and parts/mods are a whole lot easier to come by.
If I go the SSR route I trust and hope that Mike and Simple Engineering are and will continue to be around for some time to come.
My wife prefers that I go with the SSR because it is unique and as she rightly points out (don't tell her I said that) if I want terrifying acceleration and speed I will still have the Corvette. Dang,don't you hate it when the ladies are always so logical.
Decisions, decisions. Which way to go!? Thank you all for your patience and letting me rant.
If you have any illuminating words of wisdom, I would love to hear them.
ByronF
Byron, looks like you made a decision on which way to go 馃憤馃槉

Premium Member
It has been almost 2 years since I traded my '05 Asphalt Black SSR in on a new Corvette. It seemed like a good idea at the time and don't get me wrong, I do love my 'Vette but I don't quite have the same degree of passion and fondness (close but not quite equal) for it that I had and still have for my SSR. Even though the Corvette in terms of performance and features will blow the doors off the SSR, there is just something about the looks, feel and uniqueness of the SSR that as the saying goes just puts a grin on your face.
So now I find myself on the hunt for another SSR to restore the passion. Have my heart set on a 05/06 Silver with 6 speed. There are none available here in Canada but have found a few in the US. Have initiated contact with the sellers so we will see what happens.
Now that having been said I also have my eye on a 17 Camaro SS with the 2SS package with 6 speed which is available locally. The features and amenities and power are pretty cool and it lands for a lot less money than an SSR and parts/mods are a whole lot easier to come by.
If I go the SSR route I trust and hope that Mike and Simple Engineering are and will continue to be around for some time to come.
My wife prefers that I go with the SSR because it is unique and as she rightly points out (don't tell her I said that) if I want terrifying acceleration and speed I will still have the Corvette. Dang,don't you hate it when the ladies are always so logical.
Decisions, decisions. Which way to go!? Thank you all for your patience and letting me rant.
If you have any illuminating words of wisdom, I would love to hear them.
ByronF
I recently added a new member to our family, a 2004 Maserati Spyder Cambiocorsa. This car gives me the desired neck snap and it鈥檚 fun to drive. But it was never a question about would I offload my beloved SSR, Slick. He is so wonderfully unique that I would never, NEVER part with him. I realize that the day is coming that it will become unrealistic for me to drive. When that happens the Mazerati may have to go, but Slick will stay...even if all I get to do is enjoy looking. SSR forever.

Super Moderator
I drove my 05 Redline for 3 years w/o front plate without an issue.
I have also driven my 06 with Blue Dots (also stupidly illegal here) for 12 years without issue.

One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
I drove my 05 Redline for 3 years w/o front plate without an issue.
I have also driven my 06 with Blue Dots (also stupidly illegal here) for 12 years without issue.
Obviously you are a good driver and not suspicious looking. :LOL:

Reactions: VI Ken and HUAW

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #33
So my 05 Silver SSR 6 speed got loaded on the truck this afternoon. Yahhooooooo!!!

The next challenges are clearing US and Canadian customs and providing there are no hiccups it should get to me in 10 - 12 days.

Then the next hurdle is to get it safety certified and licenced locally. Not that there is any issue with the vehicle but rather the locally licensing authority makes you stand on your head when licensing an imported vehicle.

Premium Member
So my 05 Silver SSR 6 speed got loaded on the truck this afternoon. Yahhooooooo!!!

The next challenges are clearing US and Canadian customs and providing there are no hiccups it should get to me in 10 - 12 days.

Then the next hurdle is to get it safety certified and licenced locally. Not that there is any issue with the vehicle but rather the locally licensing authority makes you stand on your head when licensing an imported vehicle.
Getting excited EH! You do realize for it to take 10-12 days, they must be driving through Texas to get there.

Premium Member
Congratulations! I know the wait will be tough but it will certainly be worth it! PermaGrins are in your future again! 馃榿

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #37
Yeah the timeline would seem to indicate the vehicle is coming via Texas. However believe it or not it takes 3 days just to clear US customs on the export and then another 2 days to clear CDN customs for the import. And the paperwork required to satisfy both of them is amazing.
Then it has to change trucks at the border and have a load to continue the journey. Making me crazy!

Slingshot Rules!
Interesting, Byron (@ByronF)

Wouldn't coming down here and driving your new SSR back to its new home be SIMPLER, EASIER, CHEAPER and FASTER?

. . . not to mention SAFER?

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

Premium Member
Yeah the timeline would seem to indicate the vehicle is coming via Texas. However believe it or not it takes 3 days just to clear US customs on the export and then another 2 days to clear CDN customs for the import. And the paperwork required to satisfy both of them is amazing.
Then it has to change trucks at the border and have a load to continue the journey. Making me crazy!
When I brought mine back we did paperwork all that was needed was USA Export Department needed paperwork 72hrs before I X's border. Took me 15mins on US side and about 30mins on Canadian side, if paperwork is all done right, it shouldn't take 5 days, I think they're covering all the bases. Hopefully it arrives safe & sound with no problems.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #40
Seems they have some new additional rules now and then this covid thing adding to the timelines and cross trucking at the border. I have completed and signed some 30 different forms so far. One of the things I want/need from CDN customs is a RIV exemption stamp so that I won't need to go thru a RIV certification AND a safety certification when I get it here. Apparently CBSA doesn't always issue that certification at time of import and the broker then has to go back and get it applied to the import paperwork
Any other time it may have been easier to go down and drive it back but not in the winter with no snow tires.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts