Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about a new 05 SSR. Questions. Do you think the problems will be gone from the 05's? Should I buy from a local dealer for service reasons? Should I trade a reliable Toyota Landcruiser for this truck. I really love the look of the SSR and have since I saw the first commercial on TV. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
About purchasing from a local dealer

There is no need to purchase from a local dealer. I bought mine from a dealer 1/2 away from me and take my truck to the dealer 10 mins from me. The only thing that they balked at was fixing the leak in the cargo area (which still isn't completely fixed), because they said that it would end up costing them money because GM would only pay for 1 hour of time to fix it. I told them that they had a chance to sell me an SSR, but didn't come through with I wanted. I also told them I would never bring any of my vehicles back for any reason if they didn't work on the leak. They don't complain now.

Get your best deal!!!!

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,541 Posts
Trade in

Only you can make that decession... most all of us here love our SSRs. Where do you live? North or South and are you looking for a main everyday run vehicle or are you looking for a fun driver?

1) Will the problems be gone in the 05s? Every car and truck made will have some problems and or issues. The SSR 05 will have some resolved issues and some new issues that will develop for sure. (review a few of the threads and you will get a good handle on old and new issues)

2) Should I buy from a local dealer for service reasons? Normally I would say yes, but with prices varing so much I would look for your best deal first. Most dealers will still give you good service even if you buy from another dealer. However it is always good to take back to the original buying dealer unless you buy out of your local area.

3) Should I trade a reliable Toyota Landcruiser for this truck? Since you are asking... I will give you my two cents worth. I have to snicker a little here (sorry) the two trucks are totally different in their functions and certainly in their passenger and comfort levels. I don't know your situation but sounds to me that you are looking for an every day driver. The SSR is more of a "TOY" and fun fair weather vehicle. It isn't really an all season or all terrain vehicle. For me, in the northeast, it is seasonal vehicle at best, and it compares to like owning a boat, bike or Corvette. Store it when the season is over (certainly warmer weather and southern SSR owners will differ on those opinions)

All I can say is that owning an SSR is probably the most unigue, fun, wild and exciting vehicle anyone could ever want to own. Love it, drive it and never look back!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everyday driver

Thanks for the comments. I am currently looking for an everyday driver. since I have 2 children that are driving ( one wiuth a car and the other fixing to get one soon) and my wife who drives a Lexus LS430 I wanted to get a fun car for me. I also have two touring motorcycles and a custom chopper so I know all about the fun factor. I was wondering if the SSr was reliable enough to have as an everday driver around town maybe on short trips pulling a motorcycle trailer etc. I live in Arkansas so the weather is generally not that bad in the winter. we may get one or two snows a year and they don't last longer than a couple of days etc... I have read alot of the threads that are on this site and they remind me alot of the 1800 goldwing site. There seems to be several problems with them but the owners really enjoy them. I also noticed that this site, like the 1800 site has very knowledgeable participants and they each try to help the other owners. That is a BIG plus, since most of the times the fixes that the manufacturers deny are can't seem to admit to are solved by the owners. One of the main concerns I am having is all the talk about the top and the scuffing and retracting problems. Do you see this as a chronic problem are something that will eventually be fixed. Thanks again
Robert

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Mine is my daily driver and it fits my needs nicely. It has been reliable and all of the top issues were fixed with no probs. now. Priority Chevrolet in Chesapeake, VA. is offering 5K cash back on all their new SSR! I would say that is quite a deal. Shop around. I have mine serviced a good distance from where I live because the mechanic is very good. Finding someone knowledgable about the SSR at a dealeship is essential.

·
Registered
45 Posts
rarledge

If you're a chopper guy, you'll love this thing. This is the only car i've ever seen bikers look at w/ any lust. Mine is a daily, though I have another car. I just love driving the thing. It's been unbelievably reliable, w/no major problems. At 10k miles, it is rattle free. Great for long distance due to long wheelbase and strong V8. Highly recommend a leftover 2004,, more than adequate power, beautiful sound, and at present, can probably be had at $39K. Most of us are still content having paid 42-47K.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,541 Posts
rarledge said:
Thanks for the comments. I am currently looking for an everyday driver....

One of the main concerns I am having is all the talk about the top and the scuffing and retracting problems. Do you see this as a chronic problem are something that will eventually be fixed. Thanks again
Robert
I hope that I didn't deter you from the thought of the SSR as being an everyday driver. It sure can be that and much more. Living up North in the Snow Belt area it is more of a fair weather vehicle and not an all season driver. I have an 04 #9684 and I have not experienced any of those problems about top time outs, brackets that need to be replaced and scuffing of paint that some of the 03s perhaps early 04s might have issues with. So I would safely say that problem has been corrected.

On another note, I agree with the wow factor or fun factor of the SSRs. I have many hard core bikers give me the thumbs up while driving. (getting their looks and approval is probably one of the "hardest" tests of any vehicles wow factor lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
About those teens...

rarl,

It sounds like you are a good candidate for this fun truck. Your questions about reliability indicate you are mainly concerned about whether it'll get you there...no problem. Notice the vast majority of the issues with the top still didn't keep people from using their SSR. In this area, I would say yes, most (if not all) of the problems have been addressed. I think the General learned to use heat treated hinges early in production and adjustments are not near the mystery they once were.

Like Marc, I cannot state you will have zero problems, but it's a low risk compared to the fun. You really will notice even more people envying you than with your chopper.

Now, the thing that concerns me most. Those kids! Are you going to set the rules up front? No dates in the SSR, no cruising with friends, and definitely no loaned rides to their buds! When you're gone for the weekend, it's gonna be a real temptation...can you deal with it? Maybe you should decide now that anytime you are gone from home the SSR is, too.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You sold me

Well ya'll have confirmed what I thought to be true!! Now I have to decide on if I want to wait on the 05 or go for the 04 on the showroom floor. Any thoughts on this besides being a better deal price wise?? I talked with a friend of mine who owns the local Chevy dealer... I told him that I was on the look out for a SSR but I was also looking for the "right deal". My Landcruiser is an 03 hard loaded and I am not going to take a beating. I also told him that the dealer that I bought it from also owns a Chevy dealership and is willing to give me a good deal. I will wait and see what everyone thinks is a "good deal". Thanks again for all of your input. By the way.... Do you think this SSR will pull an enclosed single axle motorcycle trailer with an 800lb motorcycle in it with no problems??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thinking About It

I have own lots of cars that were really neat, but the SSR has had more looks and comments than any of the rest of them. It sounds like you will be a regular on this site as soon as you get your new SSR. Good Luck!! :)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I would have to check my manual for sure, but I am pretty certain that a motorcycle is all you will be able to tow with the SSR. Too much weight and I would think it would overheat, but a motocycle trailer would be the perfect thing to tow! too cool...a chopper and an SSR! Now that sounds like a lot of fun!

·
Registered
152 Posts
GO For IT..... before the close of business on 09.30

My suggestion is to:

> make a great deal on an 04....
> take advantage of the 0% 72 monthi financing between now and the end of the month; and then
> enjoy the SSr as it is a wonderful experience despite a few warts.

:seeya

·
Registered
413 Posts
go for an 04 and a good deal you will never regret it

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Well said Marc for us northern climate folks about the SSR being our summer toy. That's all mine is and the best one I've ever owned!
Scott 0168 :thumbs

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,541 Posts
Buy very soon!

SSRGUY said:
My suggestion is to:

> make a great deal on an 04....
> take advantage of the 0% 72 monthi financing between now and the end of the month; and then
> enjoy the SSr as it is a wonderful experience despite a few warts.

:seeya
I would have to agree with Derek, SSRGUY... hope you can find the right one just for you and that you will have all the options that are looking for!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Help

I found a 04 Yellow SSr. It list for 48,650. It has the following options 1sb package, chrome wheels running boards, cargo compartment trim, and towing package. The dealer said he would sell it to me for 45,950. I told him that I would have to think about it. He called me at home and took another 500 off the price. I told him that I would want to trade straight across for it with my 03 Landcruiser. he said he would let me know something . I told him that I was going to a bike show this week with my chopper and I would talk with him when I got back. He said he needed to do something and may just drop it off at my house this weekend. I said what ever but I was not wanting to put any additional money out on an 04 and would wait for an 05 if I had to. I feel like he wants to get rid of this car since it has been there for a couple of months on the showroom floor. I told him that I had researched the new models and that they would probably be better. I also told him that I had read through this board how they were not selling as well as GM had hoped etc... I am anquish to see what he is willing to do. What do ya'll think about the price??? Thanks

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
test drove one today

I test drove a SSR today. I really enjoyed it. It is kind of like riding a motorcycle. It was all about the journey. The thing that really impressed me was the lack of wind with the top down at speed. I was going 75 with the top down and It was barely stirring my hair. I could also talk with the passenger with ease. I don't know why you would need a wind blocker. I guess that comes from riding motorcycles though. I did notice that it was a little sluggish and shifted funny. It did sound tough though!! It is a head turner. It was almost like I was on my custom Spiderman bike. Everywhere I went people were drawn to it. Kind of cool

·
Registered
601 Posts
Rarledge,

I am glad that you enjoyed the drive. The best thing is all the smile you get when you buy one. Good luck and hope you become a member of a great group of people who own one. SSR owners are so of the best freinds you can have.

:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
$6500

I bought a Redline Red that listed for $47,990. I had to do alot of shopping around here in the D/FW Texas area. Most dealers here are at GMS price-$1000 dealer cash back. That's usually around $5300 off MSRP. However 1 local dealer advertised in the Dallas newspaper $6500 off MSRP, it was a Silver one that they've had since March. They advertised that price 2 weeks in a row and didn't sell any of the 7 that they have. I told him if he would do that on a Redline Red I'd buy. So I got $6500 off MSRP plus 0% financing. With the savings on interest that's over $10,000 off MSRP. Funny Huh? It was only 10 months ago they were asking $10,000 over MSRP. :thumbs

1 - 20 of 24 Posts