Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried these wheels out?My truck has the painted wheels ans I really like the chrome look.TIA.Dave

·
Premium Member
9,355 Posts
Has anyone tried these wheels out?My truck has the painted wheels ans I really like the chrome look.TIA.Dave
Do you have a link to the EBay item? I'm not familiar with PVD. Generally, a coating will be a pain to work with, as is chrome plating.

Any bruising to a chrome wheel is terminal, and can only be dealt with by a complete rechrome. A painted wheel can be repaired and repainted, and an uncoated aluminum wheel is easiest to re-work. A coating over polished aluminum needs to be removed to get the wheel to have an even finish if you are repairing a bruise.

I'm doomed to having dirty hands from cleaning uncoated aluminum - and I have it on my wheels as well as most everything in the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't post a link.Notenough posts yet.
Not a bad price and has good feedback.Just a steep core charge until they get your old rims back.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are $799.00 plus a $2,000 refundable core charge. Shipped they are just over a grand for 4 with shipping both ways.

·
Premium Member
9,355 Posts
One of PVD's claims is seriously over-reaching.

They claim PVD coated wheels are 80% lighter than chrome plated wheels, which is total BS. Almost all the weight is in the aluminum itself. The chrome plating process adds an extremely thin layer to the wheel, which sure as heck doesn't add more than a microscopic amount of weight to the wheel.

After that bit of absurdity, I wouldn't believe anything else they claim.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
I had my wheels PVD plated about four years ago. Haven’t had any issues with them until recently. I dropped one in sharp gravel and knocked a huge chunk of plating off. Took it to the plater and had the wheel stripped and redone...$350...good to go.
Take a look at my “garage.” The last photo is of a PVD plated front wheel with a satin center cap.

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
The Chrome Shop in Rock Island IL says for PVD:
Standard car and truck rims:
Bright finish: $170 ea.
Black finish: $185 ea.
There will be an additional charge of $100 per rim to strip previously chrome plated wheels.
Please Note:
Time frame on these is 4-8 weeks no exceptions, no expediting.
We have to have the rims for the duration.
Tires must already be off the rims when they come to us.
And from Second Chance Garage:

Dick Niborski of Winona PVD Coatings—a company based in Warsaw, Ind.—gave a seminar about PVD coatings at The Shop Show in Indianapolis. Winona PVD Coatings built a factory to do PVD work for automakers like Ford. It has done tens of thousands of wheels for Ford Mustangs and F-150 trucks. Wheels coated using the PVD process look even shinier than chrome wheels. And after testing, manufacturers have determined that they can warrantee a PVD coated wheel up to five times longer than they will warrantee conventional chrome plated wheels.
Auto Anything and a couple other sites say:

A Breakdown of PVD Rims
There’s a lot to like about PVD wheels. For one, they can weigh as much as 2-3 lbs less than their chrome counterparts. This is because the actual media used to coat the wheels weighs far less than traditional chrome plating. Because PVD doesn’t add extra weight to your wheels, this helps decrease rotating mass. This reduction in weight is always good to boost your ability to get up and go.
However it might be a case of one guy makes a claim and others parrot it. I don't know.

But it sure sounds like a viable option to chrome, especially is you don't want to spend every Saturday polishing wheels.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I bit the bullet and ordered these today.Won't ship until the end of August. Will let everyone kno when they get installed.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,941 Posts
Well I bit the bullet and ordered these today.Won't ship until the end of August. Will let everyone kno when they get installed.
Chrome wheels on new Cars are all PVD now, not chrome. The process deposits a thin layer of metal over a coated substrate that is very close to chrome. Then the part is clearcoated. So the finish is just as durable as the OEM paint on the car and needs to be waxed like a car finish to maintain. They can deposit other metals to for a different look or tint the clear with color over the chrome coating.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will post when they get here.Not going to ship until the 21st of August.Again like a kid waiting on CHRISTmas.

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Yes, cant wait for the report on these. What about center caps? do they provide them in pvd? or are chrome ones used? PVD looks like the future of chroming for sure. Was wondering mostly about the center caps, and if chrome ones are used, do they match good? I need chrome wheels bad!!!!

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All I was told was they supplied the caps. I would think they would be PVD coated to match the rims. Come on August.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
I recommend you call Phii Levine at Wheel Concepts in Camarillo, CA. Both PVD and “standard” chrome have different strengths and weaknesses. Phil is a really good guy and is a great resource. Stripping and rechroming both types are similarly priced.

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
I talked to them last week. Talked to Mike not Phil. He was very knowledgeable also. PVD seems to be the new wave of the future.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Forgot,I received a email yesterday,the wheels are supposed to ship this Tuesday or Wednesday.MAN O MAN O MAN

Reactions: Jersey red

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tracking number says delivering on Monday. If they come early,they will be on that afternoon. HOPE I HOPE I HOPE.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts