Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the BBK 80mm electronic throttle body for some time now and am still wondering if 5mm and a little porting is going to make a difference at all in the performance of my 03 SSR.
I've already done some mods which include Supermaxx headers and magnaflow exhaust, 1.85-1 ratio crane roller rockers, Granatelli MAF and a Crane Cams Powertuner.
Anyone have an opinion? My SSR has experienced a large gain in performance already with the current mods and a little more can't hurt.
Craig

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
It makes a very little diffrence on a vehicle that is not forced air. i,e Turbo or Supercharger. $ vs power..Not worth it. If you open the heads up some and put a bigger injector in it I think you will gain more but that is just my opinion.

A radix supercharger will help it allot..LOL

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hp

Thanks for the "opinion" but I don't think I could Slip a supercharger by the boss lady.I hadn't heard any positive info on the throttle body upgrade and mechanicly, it didn't make good sense to me<but I don't know everything yet and thought I'd ask.
Craig

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been looking at the BBK 80mm electronic throttle body for some time now and am still wondering if 5mm and a little porting is going to make a difference at all in the performance of my 03 SSR.
I've already done some mods which include Supermaxx headers and magnaflow exhaust, 1.85-1 ratio crane roller rockers, Granatelli MAF and a Crane Cams Powertuner.
Anyone have an opinion? My SSR has experienced a large gain in performance already with the current mods and a little more can't hurt.
Craig
I'm in your similar situation. Want more power on a daily driver but wondering if adding mods nickel and dime on a 5.3 is worth it...and should I just "pull the bandage off" to go get a 6.0. What kind of power gains did you get through your mods to date?

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,715 Posts
I have an 05 so it is different but I removed my throttle body and sent it via UPS to Jeremy at Faster Proms in Florida. They do a full port and polish and remove all edges and extra metal and clean it all up for about $125. I had it back in about 5 days. Did all the info stuff on the phone with them and they were waiting for it to arrive and notified me when it was on the way back. Like I said I have the LS2 6.0 Liter and it made a difference on response and low end. They said gained maybe 5 horse power.

My advice is first decide which Vehicle and Motor you are going to settle on first. Then make a complete list of what you are going to do to it including rear end gears if applicable, and check off each Item as you can afford them. Once all the intake and exhaust is completed then top it off and pull it all together with the Dyno Super tune if available.

Good luck.

Reactions: richsadams

·
Premium Member
4,768 Posts
I have an 05 so it is different but I removed my throttle body and sent it via UPS to Jeremy at Faster Proms in Florida. They do a full port and polish and remove all edges and extra metal and clean it all up for about $125. I had it back in about 5 days. Did all the info stuff on the phone with them and they were waiting for it to arrive and notified me when it was on the way back. Like I said I have the LS2 6.0 Liter and it made a difference on response and low end. They said gained maybe 5 horse power.

My advice is first decide which Vehicle and Motor you are going to settle on first. Then make a complete list of what you are going to do to it including rear end gears if applicable, and check off each Item as you can afford them. Once all the intake and exhaust is completed then top it off and pull it all together with the Dyno Super tune if available.

Good luck.
I did the same by the same with the same results.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts