Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SSR
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I performed this procedure from Dicktator on my 2004 SSR.

Questions:

Is the sole purpose of this hose to warm the Throttle Body ?
Can I plug each end (short hoses) and maintain effective cooling ?

What are the inside and outside dimensions of this hose ?

May want to connect a single hose since connections under throttle body are prone to leaking.
Would do this if the answer to question 1 is no.

Thanks in advance
Bill
Pics attached

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,002 Posts
No, don't plug the line.

The line that feeds the throttle body is the "steam vent line" from the cylinder heads. The throttle body is kept heated by this on the 2003-04, but it bypasses the throttle body on the 2005-06. Heating the throttle body is not high on my list......

The line is absolutely critical to the cooling system, though. It vents off the steam pockets created in the cylinder heads in certain conditions and keeps the air bubbles out of the engine. Air does not transfer heat worth a crap. You will also note that there is a similar line coming from the top of the radiator to the surge tank. It too is used to eliminate air bubbles out of the system.

Mike

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,222 Posts
So you already did the mod but are having leaks or just want to prevent issues in the future?

As Mike mentioned, there should be no ill effects bypassing the throttle body and do not simply plug it!!! Some people say it was for emissions and other say it is for icing issues in the northern areas where the fast rush of air over a cold metal surface could create icing issues. Either way, I have not heard of anyone having issues doing the bypass no matter where they reside.

In Dicks procedure he uses 1/4 barbs on both sides to connect the hoses. I believe (could be wrong) the true inside sizes for the hoses on our trucks are 1/4 and the other 5/16. When I did my truck I think I bought an adapter that had 2 different sizes. The outside diameter really doesn't mean much and varies by manufacturer, all hoses are referenced from inside diameter. When you look at the photos in Dicks procedure, it seems like the one on the left that goes to the radiator tank is slightly larger that the other, but using a simple 1/4 barb on both sides should not be an issue when using the clamps and you should not have any leaks.

I think the bottom line is if you want to keep the stock sizes you need 2 different size hoses, if you want to replace it with one you will need to either make it smaller than one side and force it on or larger than one side and clamp it a little tighter. Others that have done this more recently might have better insight.

Does it really help or do anything positive or negative? Jury is still out on that......

·
Registered
2004 SSR
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike and Dragon2U for the fast replies

I was not sure of the purpose of this hose.
Thanks to both for an explanation.

Note: I used a 5/16 brass barb connector instead of 1/4 as suggested.
The hoses are just barely long enough to connect with the 5/16 barb.

Will inspect and ensure hose clamps are tight so no more leaks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts