Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 05 put K&N filter system headers and msd coils on. Can I install 102mm throlttle body on it or is that too big. If so what size would you suggest

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,625 Posts
Just a few mods and a super dyno tune should get you about 40 to 50 horsepower gain from factory settings.

Intake and exhaust work together if you are trying to improve performance you need to do both. More air in and more exhaust out. By simply opening both up and doing a super tune you can pick up around 50 horsepower without tampering with the motor and changing it's reliability. Need to figure out why you are doing things and then do them.

Not expensive things folks can do and gain over 50 horsepower and gobs of off the line torque.

Had my Throttle Body done by Faster Proms in Florida, Jeremy tune. Took it off myself and sent it UPS. They did it and returned it very promptly. They shaved off all the edges inside and took as much material off as possible to enlarge the opening to match the intake. Very responsive and much faster off the line. I also did the throttle body spacer, K&N cold air package, Jet High Performance Mass Air Flo Sensor, true dual exhaust, and super Dyno tune. The whole thing is like night and day.

The Dyno read 362 horsepower and 369 torque at the rear wheels after the work he and I did. He used some kind of fancy formula and figured 452.5 horsepower and 461.25 torque at the crank. Pretty good increase from stock plus very smooth and more responsive. Reset cooling fans, shift points and firmness and overall adjusted everything. This was all done after the K&N Cold air package, the throttle body port and polish done by Faster Proms in Florida, the Taylor Helix throttle body spacer, the Jet high performance mass air flo sensor, and the Magnaflow true duals exhaust. Split the header pipe and am running two pipes into the special muffler and two pipes out. There is an X pipe in the muffler.

One more thing I would add is rearend gear change. Guys say there is a world of difference then.

Got all the stuff from Auto Anything. K&N Cold air package is $433 and makes a world of difference in sound and low end torque.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a few mods and a super dyno tune should get you about 40 to 50 horsepower gain from factory settings.

Intake and exhaust work together if you are trying to improve performance you need to do both. More air in and more exhaust out. By simply opening both up and doing a super tune you can pick up around 50 horsepower without tampering with the motor and changing it's reliability. Need to figure out why you are doing things and then do them.

Not expensive things folks can do and gain over 50 horsepower and gobs of off the line torque.

Had my Throttle Body done by Faster Proms in Florida, Jeremy tune. Took it off myself and sent it UPS. They did it and returned it very promptly. They shaved off all the edges inside and took as much material off as possible to enlarge the opening to match the intake. Very responsive and much faster off the line. I also did the throttle body spacer, K&N cold air package, Jet High Performance Mass Air Flo Sensor, true dual exhaust, and super Dyno tune. The whole thing is like night and day.

The Dyno read 362 horsepower and 369 torque at the rear wheels after the work he and I did. He used some kind of fancy formula and figured 452.5 horsepower and 461.25 torque at the crank. Pretty good increase from stock plus very smooth and more responsive. Reset cooling fans, shift points and firmness and overall adjusted everything. This was all done after the K&N Cold air package, the throttle body port and polish done by Faster Proms in Florida, the Taylor Helix throttle body spacer, the Jet high performance mass air flo sensor, and the Magnaflow true duals exhaust. Split the header pipe and am running two pipes into the special muffler and two pipes out. There is an X pipe in the muffler.

One more thing I would add is rearend gear change. Guys say there is a world of difference then.

Got all the stuff from Auto Anything. K&N Cold air package is $433 and makes a world of difference in sound and low end torque.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Last night I changed the exghaust on my 05 and can tell you the muffler on the SSR is the restrictive place in the system. The pipe from the converter to the muffler is a 2 1/2 outside diameter pipe but if you look at the muffler inlet it necks down to about a 2 inch inlet and the same on the outlet side. I think you will see a bigger gain working on that area then you will on the intake . The SSR has a pretty good inlet with a very straight shot for the air into the throttle body. Keep in mind where ever the restriction is at will be the point that makes the difference and in our case the throttle body blade is the restriction, polishing the inlet to it and after it will make such a small amount of improvement because you are dealing with air here not air and fuel. The throttle body spacers also only are adding plenum volume and there is already enough air going in that volume increase is not going to make huge horse power changes. Opening the exhaust will get you the most advantage as far as engine air flow in and out. There are other modification like gear changes and torque converters that will change the manners of the truck with out changing the horse power of the engine and how it drives.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts