Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was trying to strap down the hood I delivered to a fellow fanatic, I had a problem that the length of the strap was leaving my ratchet section under the hood and I couldn't reach it to tighten it down. I figured out a little trick that others might find useful. I used a short piece of PVC and looped the end of the strap with the ratchet and looped it through the PVC twice and that shortened it up. Now I could get to the ratchet. With the strap looped through it won't slide off like if you just wrapped it around something. When I released the strap it came apart easily and I simply pulled it back out of the piece of PVC.

·
Perfectionist
05 Redline, 06 Pac Blue, Spfld, Illinois
603 Posts
Its these little things that guys think of that are some time very valuable! good idea!

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,143 Posts
And to think you could have probably made a million bucks off that idea at the patent office. lol

Dave

·
Daily Driver
8,967 Posts
I'm old and befuddled. A short piece of PVC tubing?
Then made a couple wraps around it to shorten the distance between the hook and ratchet.
I'm obviously missing something because pulling on what I think I'm seeing the PVC would turn 90° and the strap would slip off both ends. Can you give a clue for an old dummkopf. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
I'm old and befuddled. A short piece of PVC tubing?
Then made a couple wraps around it to shorten the distance between the hook and ratchet.
I'm obviously missing something because pulling on what I think I'm seeing the PVC would turn 90° and the strap would slip off both ends. Can you give a clue for an old dummkopf. :unsure:
(y)

DITTO.............in the pic shown, I come to the same conclusion. Appears strap just goes around a short piece of PVC but NOT thru it........thus is could slip off either side easily.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I wrapped it through it there by shortening the strap length on the end by the ratchet. In my instance I had a hood I was moving and the ratchet was ending up under the hood so I couldn't reach the ratchet. So by looping it through the piece of PVC it shortened it and had the ratchet closer to the tie down point so I could tighten it down. Each loop made the length shorter. I looped it through twice.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
:unsure:

" I looped it through twice." What is perfectly obvious to you is NOT SO for myself and Bruce.

To be specific, the plastic coated strap "hook" has the strap enclosed in it. The other end of the strap is sewn to the ratchet bracket. It's fairly clear you did not pry open the hook so as to then thread the strap THROUGH the short piece of pvc. LIkewise, you did not un-sew the other end to do the same.

In the provided picture, Two things to point out. #1. The size of the "hook" appears to be too large to pass thru the pvc pipe. #2. Your (top down) view of the pvc pipe does not enable one to actually see that the strap went THRU the pvc pipe as the appearance is that the strap is merely wrapped AROUND the pvc. pipe.

Therefore we remain confused as always.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The hooks are about 1 1/2 inches wide. The PVC is 2 inches inside diameter so it went through easily. With the two loops around it shortened up the length from about 15" down to about 7 1/2 inches. Here are some more pictures. Sorry for the confusion. This was just a little trick / tip so if someone else is confused then it isn't going to help them. I hope this clarifies and will help others.

I am actually going to expand on this and make me a couple of pieces of the PVC and keep with the straps in the bag. I used what I had and it was not smooth on the cuts on the ends. I am going to make 4 pieces each cut about 1 1/2 long and polish the cut ends so there are no edges. I keep my straps in one of those cheap tool bags so they are all together. And it helps me from losing one of them that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts