Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I've been dancing with the devil ever since I had my first FLIP HALL SWITCH FAULT in May 2015 while the R was in Germany. It's been intermittent ever since. When it came on, I would release the switch, hit it again and the roof would continue to open or close. I hadn't open the roof in at least 6 months. When I was done detailing the truck today I decided to cycle the roof. FLIP HALL SWITCH FAULT was displayed just after roof unlatched from the header. Released switch and hit open again. Top came down, stowed and cover came down.

When I rocked switch to close, top came up, it latched, tonneau extender came down, tonneau cover did not come down and ROOF CYCLE TIMEOUT was declared. Put roof down again without any problem, it stowed and tonneau worked as advertised. Tried going back up with the top. Same thing, ROOF CYCLE TIMEOUT displayed just after tonneau extender had flipped down.

I downloaded Ed Borland's Roof Switch Failure Symptoms PowerPoint. My problem is similar to Symptom 5. I think its a little different being that the extender is flipping down.

I guess its time to give my roof some TLC. I'm the original owner and nothing has been done to the roof hardware. At the very least I need to get two struts from Simple Engineering, change them out and probably change the fluid.

Will let you you what's driving current ROOF CYCLE TIMEOUT event.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,119 Posts
Have a close look at the wires that transition across the tonneau cover hinge on the passenger side. There are two clamps that hold the hoses and wiring onto the hinge. The three wires that are in that small bundle are from the flipper panel hydraulic actuator hall effect sensor. I have seen those wires compromised by the edge of the forward metal clip, right where the wires bend.

You may also have a gremlin in the electrical connector that is farther down that same bundle in the roof storage compartment. It carries the same three wires through to the computer system.

Regards, brother.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the inputs. I've seen those pics before Yellow Bear. I downloaded them and inspected wiring while I was in Germany. No defects noted. Maybe its time to put a meter to them.

When the wife came home I had her actuate roof while I was in the back watching the moving pieces. After the extender was flipped down I waited a second to see what the cover would do. I bumped it and down it went with no fault code. I had her bring the top down again. Went down without FLIP HALL SW error. When she brought it back up I waited to see if cover would go up on its own. It seemed to lag. I bumped it again and it went down and closed with no error code. I was doing this from the passenger side of the vehicle.

Will t-shoot more when I replace the struts.

Bagger

Reactions: yellow bear

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,933 Posts
I'm going to "assume" that your Hydraulic fluid level is in the OK zone.... If the Pump is running All the Time, and the cylinder operation is dependent on a slight TAP.... maybe...

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,802 Posts
I'm going to "assume" that your Hydraulic fluid level is in the OK zone.... If the Pump is running All the Time, and the cylinder operation is dependent on a slight TAP.... maybe...
Yes!

Roof is 14yrs old, designed for 10 years, dam good I would say.

It's like us or at least me, I go to Doctor more at 82 years old than I did when I was 20.

Time to rebuild cylinders, which changes oil by removing cylinders. Replace Pneumatic Cylinders and good for any 10 + years!

Expensive!! Same as a set of tires!!

Dicktator

1 - 6 of 6 Posts