Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the most popular?
Do most stick with the stock sizes?
Leaning toward Toyo's since they're so much less expensive.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,365 Posts
Billy, this is a subject the SSR community has been dealing with for at least 10 years. It is certainly worth looking into. -- :nerd:

Since there has been loads of info and comments on it your best bet would be to do a SEARCH on the subject and decide on the best choice for you. -- :smile2:

★★ -- Good luck!

==============
David :black:

·
Registered
446 Posts
I am planning on the Nitto NT05. Rears at 315/35r20. Not as wide as Michelin, but considerably more economical.

Mine is not a daily driver, only nice weather unless I somehow get caught in an unexpected instance of rain.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I remember reading about someone talking about the Atturo AZ800. Size 315/35R20 106W. They retail for $129.00. At discounttirezone.com I hope this helps

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,006 Posts
What's the most popular?
Do most stick with the stock sizes?
Leaning toward Toyo's since they're so much less expensive.
I agree with David. Search and see what you turn up, there are tons of posts with opinions on sizes, brands, etc.

Regarding your question, I’ll say this...
Many maintain the stock tires, others don’t. It is a matter of preference and what you plan to do with your R.

For the record: I’m a Michelin guy, and they are wider than stock.
-Robert
:silver:

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks
I did. Most returns are from 2006. Mind boggling choices.

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
It depends IMO on how you are driving your SSR and in what kind of weather.

If you are a "spirited" driver and only drive in 40 and above weather then I would definitely go with the Michelins. They are higher priced, but it isn't a Yugo.

If you are a "normal" driver then go with what turns your crank. This also applies with an all season driver.

I have a set of RSA's on that I use in the off months. They go down the road straight and are adequate for that. I have not run the Continentals, but there are people on here that I greatly respect their opinion that do and they recommend them.

I am not familiar with the other brands. BUT, TIRES ARE NOT JUST TIRES. Research them. Tire Rack has reviews on tires that they sell.

Have fun.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
It depends IMO on how you are driving your SSR and in what kind of weather.

If you are a "spirited" driver and only drive in 40 and above weather then I would definitely go with the Michelins. They are higher priced, but it isn't a Yugo.

If you are a "normal" driver then go with what turns your crank. This also applies with an all season driver.

I have a set of RSA's on that I use in the off months. They go down the road straight and are adequate for that. I have not run the Continentals, but there are people on here that I greatly respect their opinion that do and they recommend them.

I am not familiar with the other brands. BUT, TIRES ARE NOT JUST TIRES. Research them. Tire Rack has reviews on tires that they sell.

Have fun.

Dave
Totally agree. Also if you order from Tire Rack, they will say 315/35ZR20 won’t fit. However they do, and many of us are running them from different manufacturers.
-Robert

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,505 Posts
For what it's worth . . .

The Doophus is now on his second set of General Grabbers UHPs and could not be happier.

Years ago when shopping for the first set . . . Fresh Tires and Made In The United States were the primary requirements.

When time for the third set pops up . . . General Grabbers.

! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: !

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,048 Posts
My 2 cents. Said it before and will say it again.
Why re-invent the wheel so to speak. Buy the tires that it came with. Good year RSA"S. Good Year sponsors Nascar and they go over 200 miles per hour. They fit and Good year still makes them. The State Trooper cars come with them and I see them driving hard and fast. They don't mess up the speedometer reading and they don't rub. Look good and have a good stance. Did some reasearch and Troopers and local tire shop recommends run 40 pounds of air. Operate flawlessly. Some important things to remember are the date codes. You don't want brand new tires that are old. Don't buy mail order tires. After you have them mounted it is a nightmare if one fails. Mail order place blames the mounting shop and mounting shop blames the mail order tire place. Mean while you don't get your new tire. Check with a high end tire shop that will work with you and order your tires with a current date on them. Then when they get them in take your center caps off yourself before you take it to the shop or they may brake them. Make sure they have a "Touchless" mounting machine so they don't scratch your chrome rims and have them road force balanced. Might be a good Idea to get a front end alignment and use the Dictators specs for setting the front end. Last but not least put 50 miles on them, set the air at 40 pounds, and re-torque the lug nuts and put on you caps yourself. You should be good for another 6 or 8 years. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Because the GoodYear RSAs are treacherous on wet roads, dangerously so.
Totally agree.
Elsie is a driver. It dumps buckets of rain in Houston, 1-2 inches an hour is pretty common. The RSAs felt like a “summer tire” to me, but they aren’t. I’ve mistakenly done that before on an SS Camaro. After Elsie got up on top of the water a few times, I was researching here and on Tire Rack.

Auggie, I agree with many of your points:

... Check with a high end tire shop that will work with you and order your tires with a current date on them. Then when they get them in take your center caps off yourself before you take it to the shop or they may brake them. Make sure they have a "Touchless" mounting machine so they don't scratch your chrome rims and have them road force balanced.

...get a front end alignment and use the Dictators specs for setting the front end. Last but not least put 50 miles on them... (40lbs is too much when it gets warm down here) ...and re-torque the lug nuts and put on you caps yourself...
Others like Auggie Doggie and a fair number of Rs around here run the RSAs and they like them, to which I respond “fair enough”.

YMMV
-Robert

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
tires

I agree that the RSA'a are a good tire. I put 99,515 miles on a set that were on my 08 TBSS. The tires were old on my SSR or I would not have changed them
Just remember that Goodyear tires are stock cars going 200 MPH, but they are on all stock cars and crash and burn as well. Just sayin' with a grin about their sponsor advertising.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I know they are pricey, but, my truck came from the dealer with a brand new set of Pireiil P-Zero tires. I've never had them before, but I gotta say, after running them for almost a year, they are awesome. They're quiet, smooth, grippy in wet and dry and they are wearing better then I thought they would.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
Totally agree. Also if you order from Tire Rack, they will say 315/35ZR20 won’t fit. However they do, and many of us are running them from different manufacturers.
-Robert
:|

I'm still hanging out on any "issues" (or lack of) with the larger tire sizes on the stock wheels when the SSR has been lowered. Mine is down maybe an 1 1/2" to 2" in the front.....any "rubbing" when turning into a raised driveway, etc.?????????????????????

My '39 Chevy streetrod with 2" dropped spindles and 14" front wheels had this problem. A right hand turn into a steep driveway would rip the bra snap off that was tucked just inside the fender well.:frown2: On the other hand, at other times...a ripped bra snap is an OK thing.>:)

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
:|

I'm still hanging out on any "issues" (or lack of) with the larger tire sizes on the stock wheels when the SSR has been lowered. Mine is down maybe an 1 1/2" to 2" in the front.....any "rubbing" when turning into a raised driveway, etc.?????????????????????

My '39 Chevy streetrod with 2" dropped spindles and 14" front wheels had this problem. A right hand turn into a steep driveway would rip the bra snap off that was tucked just inside the fender well.:frown2: On the other hand, at other times...a ripped bra snap is an OK thing.>:)
Zero issues. Will snap a pic or two and post later tonight, once I figure out how to keep the “outside” of the tires on the outside. That’s gonna take me all day to work out. :smash :wink2: (I’m still laughing at myself).

-Robert

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,596 Posts
I still have my original OEM tires. I am now starting to think about age of my 2004 Goodyear tires, even though I only have 8,800 miles on them, and was thinking about replacing them perhaps this year? I have garaged the SSR the whole time so I don't have any issues with excessive exposure to the sun and all the other elements etc.

I would definitely want to try and get some of the OEM Goodyear tires or the closest to the OEMs that I can find.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Auggie says..."Good Year sponsors Nascar and they go over 200 miles per hour."

Yes, but not on RSA's. That's kinda like comparing apples to oranges.

Also, I've bought tires from Tire Rack a number of times. Always had excellent service from them. One time I did have a bad tire and they stepped right up to the plate and made it right. No qestions asked.

just sayin'

1 - 20 of 55 Posts