Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused :ssr Could someone please tell me in detail the 'tinking' sound that alot of people refer to? I'm sure I have it but I'll explain what happens to me... When I park my '05' and turn off the engine, for about 10 minutes or so a loud cracking or tinking sound comes from under the truck.... I know what a catalitic (spelling?) converter sounds like as it cools after shutting the engine down, but this sounds as if the frame is breaking, or metal snapping. I took it to the dealer knowing that he would tell me that it was the exhaust system cooling off, because he does't know any better, and sure enough he said just that. This is not a normal sound that a truck should make.
So my question is, How are you reproducing this sound? With the engine off? I also told him to check service bullitons, but he said no luck....
If it' s any consequence, I too posted a thread about the 1-2 upshift and downshift squeel on my trans. or somewhere under the truck under full throttle, and everyone told me it was the tires chirpping. Sorry guys but I think I know the sound of tires spinning....It definately sounds like a belt slipping. Thanks for any help you can give me.....Batwings 05

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
The sounds you are hearing sounds like the ehaust system cooling. It is not the dreaded "Tink" that some of us are getting. The "Tink" can be most noticed when you first get in the truck. You start the engine, put the truck into reverse and "Tink". It sounds similar to what you would hear with a bad u-joint. Some have also noticed it when slowing down, accelerating quickly, making turns.

Hope that clears things up a little.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
When I first got my truck (almost 2 years ago), I had a lot of creaking and tinking after shutting the truck down. I did attribute it to things cooling off. After a couple of weeks it did not do it any more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts