Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fellow owner ask me about tinted windows. He wants darker then what came with the vehicle. Don't want window tinting wants darker window glass. Has anybody gone this route.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The last time( October 2017 ) I had NY Inspection, they metered the tint and said it was too dark. New York has changed the law for tint on windows. Had to have it removed. Hope that helps
Vince

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,369 Posts
Not sure why you would not want to do removeable tint. If done correctly ti will last many many years. The last truck I did it to I owned for 8 years and it held up great. There was some discussion awhile back about attempting to get actual tinted glass but due to the cost it did not go anywhere.

To get it done you would need to have a company that makes glass develop a template with the proper curvature and shape of both the OEM door glass panels and then cast the new tinted glass into the forms.

·
Registered
201 Posts
We did tinted windows today & it has made a different with the scorching Texas heat. Wasn't crazy about the $$$ but it helps the car stay cooler and provides a bit of protection for the interior as well.

·
Premium Member
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure why you would not want to do removeable tint. If done correctly ti will last many many years. The last truck I did it to I owned for 8 years and it held up great. There was some discussion awhile back about attempting to get actual tinted glass but due to the cost it did not go anywhere.

To get it done you would need to have a company that makes glass develop a template with the proper curvature and shape of both the OEM door glass panels and then cast the new tinted glass into the forms.
That's what I suggested but he was wandering if anyone has done the actual glass replacement only darker.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
A fellow owner ask me about tinted windows. He wants darker then what came with the vehicle. Don't want window tinting wants darker window glass. Has anybody gone this route.
:|
He needs to consider what State he resides in and what their "tint" level parameters are if indeed the annual inspection includes a test of that. It would be much more expensive to replace (overly) tinted glass than to remove the tinting film if it indeed were over the "limit".

Obviously, at some point.....selling the SSR to someone out of state could also create a "push back" on the selling price as an alert buyer just might recognize the dark windows would never pass inspection in his home state.:surprise:

So, bottom line in my opinion is going with a tint that will pass the inspection in your state or (as many of us have to do).............put whatever level of tint you want on the side windows (after) your annual inspection............knowing that about a year later, you gotta have it stripped off before going in for the next years inspection.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
He needs to consider what State he resides in and what their "tint" level parameters are if indeed the annual inspection includes a test of that. It would be much more expensive to replace (overly) tinted glass than to remove the tinting film if it indeed were over the "limit".

Obviously, at some point.....selling the SSR to someone out of state could also create a "push back" on the selling price as an alert buyer just might recognize the dark windows would never pass inspection in his home state.:surprise:

So, bottom line in my opinion is going with a tint that will pass the inspection in your state or (as many of us have to do).............put whatever level of tint you want on the side windows (after) your annual inspection............knowing that about a year later, you gotta have it stripped off before going in for the next years inspection.:wink2:
We're in Florida, we don't need no stinkin inspections, flashing brake lights, dark tint, bald tires, it doesn't matter. :surprise::smile2:

Reactions: Guzzi Guy

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Top of window.

I found that the contour of the roof allowed more sun light than I was comfortable with. I had the upper part of the windows tinted darker than the lower part. It passed my state vehicle inspection and gave me more protection from the sun. :sunce: They make a "Ceramic" tint now that has much more protection from the Heat. I added this to the factory tinted glass of my T- Top Camaro and the difference is amazing.

"Long may you run" :thumbs

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just for info, I had the very dark tint on my El Camino when I bought it. It drove me crazy, especially driving at night. Reflections from the instrument panel made me think I was about to get hit all the time. Glancing left or right, like you would when thinking about a lane change, made me jump every time, as I thought there was another car right there. Couldn't really see out at night very well. Took it off after a week, and went with 35%.

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Yup, I think our tint level in No. Carolina is 35%. I see plenty of cars/trucks with No. Carolina plates that clearly (or not so cleary:wink2:) have tint that is way over the limit.

What really jacks my jaws are the local cops and State Highway Patrol Cars.........most all of them have more than what the State law allows. Whats up with that????

On the subject of cops, it is always to your advantage to follow the "drill" if/when you get pulled over. Zip down your drivers and passenger side windows before the cop gets up to the door. He/she will appreciate that gesture for sure.:|

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I just had 30% out on mine a couple of weeks ago. Just right and close to the 35% state legal. My 11 Ram dually has much darker and really have a hard time see the mirrors when backing up in the dark. The SSR windows are just right. The back glass has 5% on it and it's good also. No eye brow on the wind shield.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,614 Posts
Sooo, then the question is, How do know the percentage of what's ALREADY on one??
John???

Nick

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,012 Posts
Getting darker Glass windows is a non starter. It's getting difficult to find the clear side glass now. As far as I know no one ever made tinted glass side windows.
If he goes to a professional window tinter that has been around a long time and has good reviews he can get the best LEGAL tint film available that will last longer than he will probably own the vehicle.
Just let him know he needs to remove the door panels and add moleskin to the rubber wipers on the panels or they will scratch the tint immediately.
Here's an eBay link for the moleskin. Tell him to pull one door panel to see if he has one or two wipers so he can let the seller know to send him the correct amount.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-SSR-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Greg

·
Spirited driver!
1,659 Posts
Cops carry a gauge to determine if it meets local laws. There are electronic tint meters available if they want an accurate measurement.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,048 Posts
Sooo, then the question is, How do know the percentage of what's ALREADY on one??
Joe???

Nick
That's a good question and one that some police wouldn't know. I saw an episode of Live PD and an Az. trooper pulled over a car and used a meter that was pressed against the glass which then displayed the percentage of tint. The Tulsa police sgt. on the program stated he never heard of it.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,446 Posts
Getting darker Glass windows is a non starter. It's getting difficult to find the clear side glass now. As far as I know no one ever made tinted glass side windows.
If he goes to a professional window tinter that has been around a long time and has good reviews he can get the best LEGAL tint film available that will last longer than he will probably own the vehicle.
Just let him know he needs to remove the door panels and add moleskin to the rubber wipers on the panels or they will scratch the tint immediately.
Here's an eBay link for the moleskin. Tell him to pull one door panel to see if he has one or two wipers so he can let the seller know to send him the correct amount.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-SSR-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Greg

Last time I spoke with Dicktator, he seemed to recommend using the fuzzy side of Velcro strips instead of Moleskin to protect the tint film.:wink2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts