Chevy SSR Forum banner

Tips and cautions on a two-tone paint job?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  xoxoxoBruce 
#1 ·
My '05 black SSR is long overdue for a paint job. I'm wanting to keep the bottom area black and paint the hood, mirrors, deck lid, roof and top area ("above the belt") a different color (dark red similar to candy apple red). Any tips, concerns, dos and don'ts?
Many thanks!

#2 ·
Be sure to take the trim off the top of the doors and around the base of the windshield. You will also need to paint the waterfall and console.

I highly recommend painting the underside of the hood, both roof storage compartment planets and the cargo cover.

The upper color also needs to wrap inside the door jambs.

My two cents.....

Mike

#4 ·
I, also, am considering a full repaint of my recently acquired 2004 R. I think the two tone will probably add $1000. +/- to your total painting cost due to the additional labor involved. I'm open to other ideas of customizing that might be more cost effective.

"SJA" Steve

#5 ·
====================================

Steve, if $$$$ is a concern ((and when is it not?!?)), you might want to look into a total or partial WRAP. Initial cost is lower and when//if you want to change it just peel it off.

===============
David :black:
Child Face Facial expression Nose Baby
- Earl Schieb..."I will paint your car for $99!!!"

#6 ·
Much cheaper to change the color of the bottom half if the paint on the top half is in reasonable condition. Even if it's not, repainting the top half the same color would probably mean only the sheet metal on the outside would have to be done and not interior parts.

Customizing other than paint, the sky... er wallet, is the limit. Wheels, running boards(tuck, recoat, etc), trim, wing, ground effects, mud flaps, and pretty women.

Reactions: SJA
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.