Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Jim-n-Tanya
1,354 Posts
Cleaning and polishing tips

I have been in the detail business since I moved to Texas. Time and time again nothing works better than Maguires detail products. When I was a High School punk I used to work on all types of colors and body style vehicles. I have found that NOTHING works better on new vehicles like Maguires #7 for polishing and cleaning. Protecting is done with Maguires #26. Get it, Use it, and you WILL LOVE IT!

Just though everyone should know................ :seeya

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Hi, James

Also used Meguiars for many years - the whole claybar, clean, polish, wax combo and always happy with the results.

Posts on this site last fall raving about Zainos got me curious, so I tried it. Do a search for Zaino, or go to the zainobros.com site and check it out for yourself.

Nothing I've ever used even comes close for ease of application, and as far as staying power - WOW!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
center cap removal

An earlier post mentioned a plastic bar from a bike shop to remove the center cap. I found it easier to rotate the cap until you can get your finger under the raised parts of it and pop it right off.

Jason

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Action said:
An earlier post mentioned a plastic bar from a bike shop to remove the center cap. I found it easier to rotate the cap until you can get your finger under the raised parts of it and pop it right off.

Jason
I'd love that. Unfortunatly there is a variation in how tightly the cover fit the wheel. Mine are so tight, if I press it in past even, it stays stuck there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Drivers Information Center

Had my trucks computer "re-flashed" yesterday. Seemed the display on the dash worked when it wanted to. The service manager found a TSB on it. So if your DIC is not working, or showing a false reading, this is probably the fix for it. :flag

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Tire Pressure Tip

Improperly inflated tires are bad. I think everyone knows that.

But did you know that when the left and right tires have unequal pressure in them, it will cause your truck to drift (pull) to the side with the lower pressure?

It only takes a difference of a pound or two. You can't really get the pressure equal using the typical gas station popup gauge. Use a good digital gauge, one that reads in 1/2 pound increments. :ssr

·
Registered
62 Posts
Spare tire

Use 17" Trailblazer spare wheel and a 226 60 X 17 tire (I used Goodyear Integrity) for a diameter of 27". Get trolly jack in a nice case from SEARS for $39.00 and throw in a lug wrench....walla!! Spare tire.

Fits in bed with lots of room to spare. Use in emergency to get to tire store for permanent fix or replacement.

Rick

·
Premium Member
958 Posts
The White Stuff on the engine blanket

TO remove this , I power washed at a carwash and let it dry.Next got some water repllent for shoes or fabric and sprayed it on.Make sure to not get any on the hood itself.I used a piece of carboard to put under the blanket and just moved it around or take it off.Use two (2) light coats.I,ve had this done for about 4 months know and it's not came back.
jgssr:ssr :ssr 04 Redine

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Jim Prendergast said:
I ordered a set----absolute junk I would not put them on a Texas outhouse wall !!!!

I trashed them.
I cant use mine either - I wear glasses with bifocals and the lens is out of range of the bifocal and I bought the 57 chevy lens from Ecklers 57 chevy catalog and it works and looks great and is really cool looking on the dash.:)

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,800 Posts
Collapsing Radiator Hose

Your hose is not bad.......

The reason it is collapsing is that the radiator cap is plugged up. There are two functions in the cap... a 15psi regulator for pressurizing the system and a reverse flow "vacuum breaker" to let the air into the tank when the system cools. The vacuum breaker function can get clogged up with Dexcool residue and doesn't let the air back in. The big issue with this... is that your system will probably not pressurize fully when it gets hot next time and your coolant boiling temperature will be lowered.

Most of the time, you should be able to clean the cap with a brush under running water in the kitchen sink. Just don't get caught.

This is a maintenance item that is often overlooked.

Regards,

Mike

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Mike in AZ said:
Your hose is not bad.......

The reason it is collapsing is that the radiator cap is plugged up. There are two functions in the cap... a 15psi regulator for pressurizing the system and a reverse flow "vacuum breaker" to let the air into the tank when the system cools. The vacuum breaker function can get clogged up with Dexcool residue and doesn't let the air back in. The big issue with this... is that your system will probably not pressurize fully when it gets hot next time and your coolant boiling temperature will be lowered.

Most of the time, you should be able to clean the cap with a brush under running water in the kitchen sink. Just don't get caught.

This is a maintenance item that is often overlooked.

Regards,

Mike
As always, another great tip from Mike!

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Posting here for alex05ssr

Kiss Those Warped Saddle Bags Goodbye - Done Cheap!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone:

I'm so elated to post this information. My SSR soft side saddle bags were INCREDIBLY warped. My pal, "XSELER8" (Frank) and I have been kicking this issue and possible fixes around, and he mentioned the use of a rigid type channel that could slip over by force fit, and thereby stiffen/reinforce the free edge of the bag. Well, last weekend I turned the Home Depot and Lowe's stores upside down looking for a candidate. No luck, and very frustrating because I new what I was looking for, but just could't find the right item.

Well, late this week I was in my garage and looked up at my favorite 24"x36" poster called "Haulin' Ass". After finally drawing my attention away from the subject of the poster, my eyes were drawn to the 4 rigid plastic channel shaped trim pieces that are used to form the poster frame. I took off one of the 24" wide pieces and....and realized, oh my God, THIS IS IT! Not wanting to mess up my treasured poster, yesterday evening I went to Wal-Mart and bought a smaller, new 18"x24" poster frame, at a cost of $6.97, then set off to fix my softside saddle bags.

I slipped on as much of the 24" piece as I could as a trial run, then made a mark where I needed to cut off the excess. Actually, I first cut off the angle-cut end on one end to get a straight edge before I started. In the end, I needed to trim about 1" off of the 24" long pieces, for a length of 23".

Pretty amazing isn't it! You do not have to glue these pieces on, and the best scenario would be to reinforce the edges of your bags even before they become as warped as mine were. I've heard of other more elaborate ideas on how to correct this problem, but how can you beat the simplicity and cost of this fix, as well as the finished look....it looks stock and takes up no room in the bag.

So I must say, thanks SO MUCH Frank for starting the wheels turning in my head, to come up with a cure for the warped saddle bags.....couldn't have done it without you! This was a perfect end to a situation that was really bugging me, really bad.

Below are, from left to right, photos of the purchased poster frame with the trim pieces removed, the before right side bag, the after right side bag, the before left side bag, and the after left side bag.

Alex

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Dash storage

I am going to replace my dash tray by the steering wheel with another in dash cup holder. Any tricks to removing the existing?

Bruce
:yellow: tub

·
Registered
195 Posts
Windscreen

Just installed my windscreen and found the bolt was not long enough if you remove the nut completely before putting the windscreen on.

I had to put the nut on a turn or two on the bolt and then pry the back piece out a little and then slip the windscreen in.

bronco

·
Registered
86 Posts
Removing sun visor stickers

It took about 10 minutes to pull each of the visors off. I then used "Crown Paint and Varnish Remover" from Lowe's or Home Depot. Use paper towels to soak the solvent onto the visors and then rub it off. Works great and doesn't hurt the visors in any way.

21 - 40 of 106 Posts