Chevy SSR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
303 PROTECTANT - NEW ADVOCATE!!

I sent off my check for $5 and got the samples; just used it on my running boards and IT IS FANTASTIC STUFF!! (Got sample offer from 303 web site)

Also used it on my Harley on all plastic and rubber and it appears to be fully restored. UNBELIEVABLE!!

There's only one place in our area that sells it, but I'm driving over there next week to pick up a GALLON for sure!!

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Dura-Gloss Products

I forgot how good of a prodcut Dura Gloss is. I used it all the time when we lived in NC. Could not get it in Vegas. Even though the Dura Gloss site said NAPA and Car Quest carry it. When I moved back east I stopped by a local parts store and there was two shelves of their products. I think their polish, window and leather cleaner along with the car wash soap is "sierra hotel"

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Adhesive eraser

Here's a tip to remove the double back tape adhesive after removing emblems or wheel weights.

Go to your local auto paint supplier and get an adhesive eraser. It's a disc about 4 inch diameter and a half inch thick. It has a shaft attached to chuck it in a variable speed drill. This will take off all kinds of old adhesives without harming the paint. Just run it at low rpm and it will "erase" the glue easily. I use these all the time to get adhesive off motorcycle parts when I'm prepping them for paint. Just used one today to take the adhesive off my wheels where old wheel weights had been. If you don't have a local supplier you can find them at some auto parts stores or at www.eastwood.com

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts

I sent off my check for $5 and got the samples; just used it on my running boards and IT IS FANTASTIC STUFF!! (Got sample offer from 303 web site)

Also used it on my Harley on all plastic and rubber and it appears to be fully restored. UNBELIEVABLE!!

There's only one place in our area that sells it, but I'm driving over there next week to pick up a GALLON for sure!!
I used some of this for the first time the other day and loved it to.

Here is how I found a retailer. Go to this website and punch in your zip. I found one about 2 miles down the road much to my surprise. Figured I would have to go to Asheville.

http://www.wheretobuy303.com/locator/us-index.php

·
Registered
49 Posts
Drying After Washing

Some of you may already do this for those of you that don't and want to try it be prepared to get strange looks from your neighbors.
When done washing any vehicle I own I use a leaf blower to remove that water. It gets all the water out of the nooks and crannies.
One important tip, it works better if your vehicle has a good coat of wax on it. I learned this trick when I had my Vette. I've been doing it this was ever since.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts

CURIOUS????? DOES IT MAKE THE RUNNING BOARD SLIPPERY????:yellow:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Re: Forum Tips

SSR Fanatic Usage Tip...

Some of the threads can get rather lengthly - with multiple posts and graphics and all. To read the threads more quickly, you can reverse the order of the thread - to show the newest posts first within a thread. (Rather than scroll down thru all the posts you have already read.)

To do this,

1) Go to User CP,
2) Click on "edit Options" in left column,
3) Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"
4) In the Thread Display Mode, make your change... set to: Linear - Newest First, to see the new posts at the top of the thread page.

ALSO - If you right click - oh say the User CP link in the orange line above - and select Open In New Window, you'll have this page still open to look at the instructions.

Hope this helps...
!

Thanks for the tips above....I learned something!

·
Registered
398 Posts
TO remove this , I power washed at a carwash and let it dry.Next got some water repllent for shoes or fabric and sprayed it on.Make sure to not get any on the hood itself.I used a piece of carboard to put under the blanket and just moved it around or take it off.Use two (2) light coats.I,ve had this done for about 4 months know and it's not came back.
jgssr:ssr :ssr 04 Redine
What white stuff? Do you know what it was? Where it came from?

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Use Orange Plus from Walmart to get road grime and buggs off. Can be used any where on ext. let set for 5 to 10 min, then wash with car wash sprayer.No rubbing or scrubbing. Been using it on new 02 chevy with no harm and been using it on my 06 SSR sence new also.

·
Great Canadian SSR Crew
772 Posts
Kiss Those Warped Saddle Bags Goodbye - Done Cheap!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone:

I'm so elated to post this information. My SSR soft side saddle bags were INCREDIBLY warped. My pal, "XSELER8" (Frank) and I have been kicking this issue and possible fixes around, and he mentioned the use of a rigid type channel that could slip over by force fit, and thereby stiffen/reinforce the free edge of the bag. Well, last weekend I turned the Home Depot and Lowe's stores upside down looking for a candidate. No luck, and very frustrating because I new what I was looking for, but just could't find the right item.

Well, late this week I was in my garage and looked up at my favorite 24"x36" poster called "Haulin' Ass". After finally drawing my attention away from the subject of the poster, my eyes were drawn to the 4 rigid plastic channel shaped trim pieces that are used to form the poster frame. I took off one of the 24" wide pieces and....and realized, oh my God, THIS IS IT! Not wanting to mess up my treasured poster, yesterday evening I went to Wal-Mart and bought a smaller, new 18"x24" poster frame, at a cost of $6.97, then set off to fix my softside saddle bags.

I slipped on as much of the 24" piece as I could as a trial run, then made a mark where I needed to cut off the excess. Actually, I first cut off the angle-cut end on one end to get a straight edge before I started. In the end, I needed to trim about 1" off of the 24" long pieces, for a length of 23".

Pretty amazing isn't it! You do not have to glue these pieces on, and the best scenario would be to reinforce the edges of your bags even before they become as warped as mine were. I've heard of other more elaborate ideas on how to correct this problem, but how can you beat the simplicity and cost of this fix, as well as the finished look....it looks stock and takes up no room in the bag.

So I must say, thanks SO MUCH Frank for starting the wheels turning in my head, to come up with a cure for the warped saddle bags.....couldn't have done it without you! This was a perfect end to a situation that was really bugging me, really bad.

Below are, from left to right, photos of the purchased poster frame with the trim pieces removed, the before right side bag, the after right side bag, the before left side bag, and the after left side bag.

Alex

Used this tip and it worked great. Thanks for the tip. But here is an idea to get more value from your $6.97.

Just got new personalized plates and wanted to protect them from bug splatters and rock chips. After market plate covers don't fit the stock front license holder, as it is designed to slip the plate under a narrow lip. Pondering what to do, I saw the plastic left over from the poster frame. Cut it to fit the plate, drilled some holes and voila, plate protection.

Don't know how long it will hold up, but I have enough plastic for many more. Should last until I find a better solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel saving Tips

Turn off that A/C.
Despite what studies may have you believe, running the air-conditioner is not better for fuel economy versus opening a window or sunroof. While the latter two do disrupt airflow, the loss of mileage is minimal in comparison to the A/C’s drain on the engine while running. But if you absolutely insist on running the A/C, park your truck in the shade as much as possible so that your engine won’t have to work as hard to cool the cab as well as your temper.
------------------
Sarah

·
Registered
11 Posts
fuse block under hood

I had problems with my under hood fuse block the dealer said none available.I could not use my Air Conditioner.I waited two weeks with no car.I spoke to a friend,he suggested to remove the fuse block and repair.I guess our mechanics today dont know how.I phoned the Chevy dealer and told him to do it and they had the car done in 3hours only because I told him to_Our mechanics of today cant think or repair anything.They are exchange professionals.Paul:

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,236 Posts
Remove Direction Module

This may help you SSR Fanatics who are upgrading their brake lights and others with LED.

This is how to remove the module.

1. Light/Mirror/small flat screw driver, push up on tab.
2. Module moves forward toward engine
3. Reach up and pull module down.
4. Black module is removed and replaced with LM487 for LED lights.

Reverse procedure. NOTE: Two tabs on case are off set, be patient it will go back.

Dicktaotor

Attachments

41 - 60 of 106 Posts