Chevy SSR Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
xo...

The external link or attachment with all tips and tricks at the beginning of this thread is gone...that's the info I'm hoping to retrive for the benefit of all members.
I see what you were talking about.
It seems the picture was posted on villagephotos(dot)com and it looks like it doesn't exist anymore.

So unless someone was smart enough to save off a copy, it's gone.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Little tip I learned. Everyone knows the ssr didnt come with overhead lighting and sometimes gets hard to see stuff when you need to. Well I found this out by accident but the Sun visors have awesome bright lighting and you can tilt them to whatever angle you need. I don't know if everyone knows this or not

·
Registered
13 Posts
gauges

Hi I was wondering will a set of gauges from 2005 work in a 2004? I have the factory wiring from gm and all the data lines are the same and the connector is the same, the wire color on 1 wire is different that's it. I really don't see why they wont work. Has any body tried to do this ? :yellow:

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Does anyone have a copy of Tips & Tricks that they could scan in and re-post? Sure would be nice to have.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Windshield wiper linkage fix

Passing a fix along. The wiper transmission uses nylon bushings to hold the various links together. Over time these bushing wear out or dry and crack. The transmission assembly is discontinued and the used market is getting a premium for the transmissions. If you find that the links come loose, fall off or bind try replacing just the bushings. The bushings are not available from GM, but you can get Dorman part 49448. They are off a 2001 Toyota Camry. I have done this easy repair and it works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hood strut fix

Try replacing worn/broken hood struts with "Mighty Lift" part B95373. A warning though, they have a lot more tension than the original struts and could eventually bend a bracket or something. BUT it beats paying $300+ from a dismantler and the struts may fail a couple months after you get them since they are already old.

·
BlueStreak
26,745 Posts
Try replacing worn/broken hood struts with "Mighty Lift" part B95373. A warning though, they have a lot more tension than the original struts and could eventually bend a bracket or something. BUT it beats paying $300+ from a dismantler and the struts may fail a couple months after you get them since they are already old.
Try Simple Engineering for replacement struts.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Great job Buffy! Wonderful to have a place where owners can provide tips to those less handy to give them ways to keep the vehicles moving. Thanks, Kevin & Dorothy Sherry/RI

·
Registered
3 Posts
But the mighty lift sturts are $23.00 at your local Autozone vs $134.00 from Simple so for some owners could be a money thing or not wanting to wait for shipping time.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
But the mighty lift sturts are $23.00 at your local Autozone vs $134.00 from Simple so for some owners could be a money thing or not wanting to wait for shipping time.
:|

We all love to save money, but do you know that the struts you ref. at the local Autozone are the same as the struts offered by Simple............in terms of quality and gas power/strength.

I'm thinking there just might be a significant variance. My experience with Mike at Simple Engineering suggests he is NOT out to gouge anybody on his available parts/mods.

I'm curious to know if you have determined that the two sets of struts are indeed just alike.:|

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,368 Posts
:|

We all love to save money, but do you know that the struts you ref. at the local Autozone are the same as the struts offered by Simple............in terms of quality and gas power/strength.

I'm curious to know if you have determined that the two sets of struts are indeed just alike.:|
The specs on the B95373 struts from Autozone are not good for the SSR hood. I would recommend finding a lower pressure unit if you are going to use this brand. You will need to have significantly less than the 63.5 to 78.5 pounds listed. We have found that too high of a pressure on the hood struts will cause the back corners of the hood to pop up or sit “too high” when closed. I have also seen struts with too much pressure actually bend the OEM mounts on the 05-06 models.

My two cents,

Mike

·
Registered
805 Posts
Everybody wants to save money where they can and I am sure Mike from Simple engineering did and does a lot of research in the things he has for sale to improve our trucks and keep them going. Thinking your saving a little on the hood struts might end up causing you to spend a lot more down the road to fix anything the heavy duty struts might cause. Why take a chance go with something that's been tested and used by a lot of Fanatics over the years.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,368 Posts
Good to see more support....

Everybody wants to save money where they can and I am sure Mike from Simple engineering did and does a lot of research in the things he has for sale to improve our trucks and keep them going. Thinking your saving a little on the hood struts might end up causing you to spend a lot more down the road to fix anything the heavy duty struts might cause. Why take a chance go with something that's been tested and used by a lot of Fanatics over the years.
Moscooter, Bruce and Haze........

Don’t be too hard on GMtech. He clearly has the best intentions. I’m always open to new suggestions for solutions and appreciate the interest of others in the support of the SSR family. We all have a similar objective.

I’m happy to openly discuss the hood struts from LST that I have been selling for the last 12 years. These are custom gas springs that are carefully pressurized to provide just enough muscle to properly lift the hood, without overstresssing the hinges or mounts. I import them from LS Technologies in Canada. Simple Engineering provides a very liberal warranty (up to 5 years) that is rarely needed. Please be aware that the $135 price tag is for a PAIR of LST hood struts.

For Bruce, here’s the link to the AutoZone spec sheet:
https://www.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/lift-support/mighty-lift-lift-support/43116_10187_0

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
!2V.com

https://www.the12volt.com/
This is a great place to go if you are adding accessories, new radio, alarm, remote start, etc.
They have hundreds of 12V circuits, Auto wiring diagram database for radio, cruise control and security systems. Great educational explanations of basic circuits and relays.
I found this looking for a circuit to add cornering lamps providing a steady 12V to the lamps from the turn signal pulse output.
Greg

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Worlds best Penetrating fluid

Many years ago a crusty old mechanic (neighbor) showed me this and I have been using it ever since. If you Google this formula you will find several tests of commercial penetrants vs this formula and this always comes out on top. I personally used this to free up rusted in cylinder sleeves in a Triumph TR4 engine I rebuilt. Soaked them down for weeks and they all broke loose with a wood block and big hammer. The guy I bought it from said the block was junk , said he tried everything.

Easy:
50/50 mix of 100% Acetone and ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid).
Pour in small spray bottle. Liquids will separate so need to shake well before spraying on rusty parts.
Spray on let it soak and repeat as needed.
There is nothing better.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Folloow what Texasbaehr said about the mixture. Just make sure to mix the amount you want to use and don't use a plastic bottle for
storage. After a few days mine scrunched up and later on developed a leak. It might store better in a glass bottle. LAZY ONE

·
Trygodfirst
492 Posts
81 - 100 of 104 Posts