Chevy SSR Forum banner

Tips & Tricks

5M views 110 replies 82 participants last post by  moscooter 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

Everyone! I wanted a place to put Tips & Tricks that most of us have found to be helpful under normal operation of our trucks. This is not to replace the "How to remove the radio" types of questions, just the everyday things that we've learned while owning our SSR's.

If you have a new Tip or Trick, just reply to this post and I will add it to the list.

As of 5/22/2013, here is a list of the current Tips & Tricks. Let's hear about yours!

[Unable to load Images or files]

#4 ·
Orrrrrr...

Just thinking out loud....

You get the flat black stickers like I posted and you PM QWKSSR so he can make you a couple of SSR stickers in the color of your choice for only a few dollars. The same ones that you would use on your door sills would work quite well on the visors.

Diggs

#100 ·
#6 ·
rust guard

First ride today since parking it over two months past. Took SSRGUY's recommendation and had Rust Check do their thing in order to preserve the girl's longevity. I was surprised at what I thought a very reasonable cost of $140 or $115 US currency.

I still question myself at times as to why I chose this vehicle. Most of all, I think its the uniqueness!!!!! BUT, with very much appeal.

#12 ·
Please Read!

FYI,

The lastest in Tips & Tricks will now (and always) be displayed on the FIRST post of this thread. (A date will be added to show you the version of the updated list) This will cut down on having to scroll down to view the new ones. However, I will keep some of the comments (in date order) that may help in your decisions in trying one Tip or another.

Happy Motoring!

#16 ·
rhughestx said:
For those SSR drivers who are tall and struggle to see the traffic signal - Please see my thread at the following link:

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2222

I've been using the product for weeks now - it works great!

SORRY HUGHESTX! :eek

Forgot your tip. I must have been :sleep

It's up there now!
:flag

#18 ·
Thanks BUFFY

Great job in setting up the tips. Easy to use and puruse. This is what I love about this site. Way to go!!
:thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

#20 ·
SSR Fanatic Usage Tip...

Some of the threads can get rather lengthly - with multiple posts and graphics and all. To read the threads more quickly, you can reverse the order of the thread - to show the newest posts first within a thread. (Rather than scroll down thru all the posts you have already read.)

To do this,

1) Go to User CP,
2) Click on "edit Options" in left column,
3) Scroll down to "Thread Display Options"
4) In the Thread Display Mode, make your change... set to: Linear - Newest First, to see the new posts at the top of the thread page.

ALSO - If you right click - oh say the User CP link in the orange line above - and select Open In New Window, you'll have this page still open to look at the instructions.

Hope this helps...

#21 ·
Cleaning and polishing tips

I have been in the detail business since I moved to Texas. Time and time again nothing works better than Maguires detail products. When I was a High School punk I used to work on all types of colors and body style vehicles. I have found that NOTHING works better on new vehicles like Maguires #7 for polishing and cleaning. Protecting is done with Maguires #26. Get it, Use it, and you WILL LOVE IT!

Just though everyone should know................ :seeya

#22 ·
Hi, James

Also used Meguiars for many years - the whole claybar, clean, polish, wax combo and always happy with the results.

Posts on this site last fall raving about Zainos got me curious, so I tried it. Do a search for Zaino, or go to the zainobros.com site and check it out for yourself.

Nothing I've ever used even comes close for ease of application, and as far as staying power - WOW!!!

#25 ·
Action said:
An earlier post mentioned a plastic bar from a bike shop to remove the center cap. I found it easier to rotate the cap until you can get your finger under the raised parts of it and pop it right off.

Jason
I'd love that. Unfortunatly there is a variation in how tightly the cover fit the wheel. Mine are so tight, if I press it in past even, it stays stuck there.

#26 ·
Drivers Information Center

Had my trucks computer "re-flashed" yesterday. Seemed the display on the dash worked when it wanted to. The service manager found a TSB on it. So if your DIC is not working, or showing a false reading, this is probably the fix for it. :flag