Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Silver SSR 6 Speed
131 Posts
While I am not a fan of black wheel, if you really want togo that way I think it would look best with glossy black and the calipers should be yellow to match the body but with white (SS) and red (R) lettering. Nix any lettering on the tires

·
Premium Member
9,451 Posts
I don't like black wheels. Way too many new vehicles, inclluding Corvettes being ordered with black wheels. Chrome wheels can't be repaired if you curb scrape one. Painted wheels can at least be repaired and made to look decent again. Aftermarket billet wheels are the way to go. Minor scrapes can be sanded and polished. Major scrapes can be welded, then run on a lathe to smooth out the damage, prior to polishing.

Lettering should be in the rubber, rather than painted on, but I have a friend with new whitewalls on a classic car, and he is forever cleaning them, because they continually turn yellowish from chemicals bleeding through the white.

I guess if you go with yellow lettering, at least you'll be OK - no worries about them turning yellow. 😁

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
BennyB. With my UV Never quite liked "The Bling". I did Plasti Dip White with Pearl, "Nice"
Went back to chrome for a short while & back to Bright White Powder Coat..
PS Was looking into 6 Spoke American Mag Style wheel, special order our bolt pattern:unsure:

:cool:

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
734 Posts
@bennybad If you wanted to try different looks on the calipers go to Wal Mart and buy some different color Duct tape. Yellow and red maybe and put it on the caliper and see what you like.
Good idea for trying out a "new" look. Also one could try sample sheets of vinyl wrap, available on eBay, maybe WalMart too.

Reactions: richsadams

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
3,130 Posts
Yellow lettering looks cool, very Nascar.
I also went with opposite color caliper covers... Yellow with my red truck but I have the yellow flames to tie in the yellow as well.

·
Bad is Good
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thank you for all the opinions and suggestions.
Definitely going to keep rims black, so will leave plastidip on a little while till i figure if im going to sell the satin rims and just powder coat the chromes or visa versa
Im going to do the yellow lettering and listen to crap from wife but she will tire out (eventually)
Will probably do 2 weekends from now when im not scheduled to work and will post the photos.
Many Thanks my SSR family

BennyB

·
Slingshot Rules!
78,812 Posts

WAY TO GO, Benny . . .

I thought about this thread while out running errands this morning. On two separate occasions while parked, Lookie Lous approached me with a bunch of the usual questions PLUS very positive comments about the Slingshot Yellow Wheels. In fact, the wheels frequently bring more positive comments than anything else.

Good Luck with your project.

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
28,976 Posts
Thank you for all the opinions and suggestions.
Definitely going to keep rims black, so will leave plastidip on a little while till i figure if im going to sell the satin rims and just powder coat the chromes or visa versa
Im going to do the yellow lettering and listen to crap from wife but she will tire out (eventually)
Will probably do 2 weekends from now when im not scheduled to work and will post the photos.
Many Thanks my SSR family

BennyB
If you are going to powdercoat the rims do the satin rims. You can sell the chrome for more than you can get for the satins.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,156 Posts
I don't think you can powder coat over chrome. It would probably add quite a bit of cost to strip the chrome off then powder coat the chrome. The painted would be much easier I would think.

·
Slingshot Rules!
78,812 Posts
I don't think you can powder coat over chrome. It would probably add quite a bit of cost to strip the chrome off then powder coat the chrome. The painted would be much easier I would think.

Good point, Bruce . . .

Way back when I was researching Slingshot Yellow Wheels . . . I quickly learned that having The Doophus's OEM Chromes either Powdercoated or Painted would cost me considerably more than the Satins. If I remember correctly, about six times more.

Also, the Chromes would net me at least twice, possibly even more than the Satins if and when I decided to sell them.

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !

·
Bad is Good
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Wow did not know that about powder coating chromes. Guess satins will be done and transfer tires from chromes to satins.
And some nice chromes will be for sale soon
Thanks guys

BennyB

·
SSR Believer
2,099 Posts
FWIW satin wheels can be chromed too. I bought a replacement - satin wheel that had been professionally chrome plated - to replace one of our rear wheels that had a bit of curb rash. The replacement looks terrific. Our other rear wheel only has a tiny bit of curb rash but I'd like to replace it one of these days too so all four will be rash-free. Waiting for a "clean" chrome rear wheel to pop up for sale. Hoping to sell our two chrome rear wheels to someone with a daily driver to recoup a bit of the cost.

So Benny, if one of your rear chrome wheels becomes available give a shout! ;)

·
Registered
2004 SSR 5.3 L V8 Slingshot Yellow
5 Posts
I pa
More traffic over here
Looking for some opinions to help me decide if this is the path i want to follow.
Wanting to powder coat rims black and have done plastidip barrells and face which is cheaper to convince myself that black is the way to go.
Which it is
Second step is now with all the black in the wheel wells seems to need something else.
MGP Calipers are ordered in yellow with black studs, black SS with the red R
Deciding now if i paint the lettering on tires
Opinions needed
All black
White lettering
Yellow lettering
I have thick skin so dont be shy

Thanks
BennyB
inted h
More traffic over here
Looking for some opinions to help me decide if this is the path i want to follow.
Wanting to powder coat rims black and have done plastidip barrells and face which is cheaper to convince myself that black is the way to go.
Which it is
Second step is now with all the black in the wheel wells seems to need something else.
Opinions needed
All black
White lettering
Yellow lettering

Thanks
BennyB
Here is a picture of my 2004 with yellow calipers and lettering.

·
Registered
2004 SSR 5.3 L V8 Slingshot Yellow
5 Posts
I pa
More traffic over here
Which it is
Opinions needed
All black
White lettering
Yellow lettering

Thanks
BennyB
inted h
More traffic over here
Which it is
Opinions needed
All black
White lettering
Yellow lettering

Thanks
BennyB
More traffic over here
Which it is
Opinions needed
All black
White lettering
Yellow lettering

Thanks
BennyB

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
More traffic over here
Which it is
Opinions needed
All black
White lettering
Yellow lettering

Thanks
BennyB
More traffic over here
Which it is
Opinions needed
All black
White lettering
Yellow lettering

Thanks
BennyB
Just my honest opinion, but as an Artist, but more as a Car Fanatic, if you use Matt Black instead of a shiny black to set off the idea you are trying to display, all MATT BLACK IS NOT PROBABLY WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, especially with MATT BLACK TIRES! TOO DULL, PERHAPS! Could you use GLOSSY on the outside of the rims?
Sue 💗💗💗

·
Registered
59 Posts
It’s your truck, but color says a lot. As you already know, here comes the school bus. Too much May say “The circus is in town”. Color is an enhancement as is chrome, copper, and other metallics. Be subtle, but please your self.

·
Bad is Good
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I pa

inted h

can see in your picture in your profile avatar but no picture is attached
but if i squint it looks like you have done what im going for
thanks
BennyB

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
82 Posts
More traffic over here
Which it is
Opinions needed
All black
White lettering
Yellow lettering

Thanks
BennyB

OK--coming from a person with little to no experience with this specific topic--BUT---I have to ask --How do you paint letters on rubber?-- what paint is used--how long does it last--so many questions--
BTW--for what its worth--If your going black --I would do yellow letters to go with the yellow calipers--I take it those are caliper covers--if they are--again so many questions-- how long do they last? --cheaper to remove present calipers and paint them?
and now the ideas start building up--

Thanks

Great weather here in Canada now--Perma grin started

21 - 40 of 50 Posts