Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Bad is Good
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
OK--coming from a person with little to no experience with this specific topic--BUT---I have to ask --How do you paint letters on rubber?-- what paint is used--how long does it last--so many questions--
BTW--for what its worth--If your going black --I would do yellow letters to go with the yellow calipers--I take it those are caliper covers--if they are--again so many questions-- how long do they last? --cheaper to remove present calipers and paint them?
and now the ideas start building up--

Thanks

Great weather here in Canada now--Perma grin started
painting letters, key is to clean letters with acetone till the cloth is clean. lots of work put will give the best job
Paint pens i use sharpie oil base paint pens, fine point to outline letters and medium point to fill in
if proper prep and a few coats will last quite awhile and just redo when needed
calipers are just mgp covers and seems to be the most popular among us, simple and easy and works very well
i have no experience with painting calipers

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
82 Posts
Thanks..I would have never thought of either of these options...love this site for ideas..and easy fixes.

·
Bad is Good
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well did the permanent letter stickers. Was able to send them tracings of the existing letters to make them. What really sucks is the prep for these letters. Area needs to be as clean as possible. Took about a hour a wheel to get the rubber area from black to almost a light grey for this adhesive to really bond and the glue is no joke . Almost glued my fingers to the tire a couple of times.
Lot of work but i love how it came out. Have a nascar race truck feel.

Attachments

·
Bad is Good
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Installed the yellow mgp caliper covers but the yellow was different than the truck and letters. To many different yellows in a small area. So removed the one i installed to see what it looked liked and will be putting them up for sale

Attachments

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
734 Posts
Looking for some opinions to help me decide if this is the path i want to follow....
Thanks
BennyB
How did you do the samples for the colors? Looks intruqing, might wanna try white or silver lettering on my Aqua Blur with stock chrome wheels. o_O

Oh, and what was the cost from the company to makes the letters?

Reactions: richsadams

·
Bad is Good
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
How did you do the samples for the colors? Looks intruqing, might wanna try white or silver lettering on my Aqua Blur with stock chrome wheels. o_O

Oh, and what was the cost from the company to makes the letters?
The sample i made with white and yellow craft paper rubbing with a pencil to make a template. Scotch taped them on.

From tiresticker.com with a coupon was $130 including 2 day fedex with a 5 day turnaround. And comes with the special adhesive for the permanent install of rubber letters

·
Bad is Good
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
LOOKS GREAT, BennyBad @bennybad . . .

If you are ever out this way . . . I'll "let" you do The Doophus's Tires.

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !
Installing letters no problem, the cleaning of the rubber really sucked. Even bribed my daughter to help put only got two letters out of her before she said the money is not worth it. LOL

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
Premium Member 2004 Smokin' Asphalt
50,385 Posts
That looks real nice I like it !!!!!!!! (y)

41 - 50 of 50 Posts