Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Looking to replace the tires on my 05....still has the original tires. Just replaced the tires on my 2000 Vette (been a long time since I have purchased tires) and noticed load ratings listed on the tires when shopping for tires for the Vette (they probably have always been there just never noticed before....LOL). Anyway brings up a question about tire load ratings for the SSR tires. Now an SSR is "basically" a truck...Michigan has them listed as Pick-Up's. Did some quick figuring (a base SSR weighs approx 4700 lbs...not sure what a fully loaded SSR like mine weighs). Add the fuel (6 lbs a gallon), two passengers, bunch of "stuph" in the rear bed and I came up around 5350 lbs. Divided by four and you get a 1337 lb. load on each tire. So should the tires be high performance truck tires? I guess when I start searching around I will be taking a close look at the load ratings. When I did a quick search on this forum for posts on replacement tires I did not see any mention of load ratings on any of the posts.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
Looking to replace the tires on my 05....still has the original tires. Just replaced the tires on my 2000 Vette (been a long time since I have purchased tires) and noticed load ratings listed on the tires when shopping for tires for the Vette (they probably have always been there just never noticed before....LOL). Anyway brings up a question about tire load ratings for the SSR tires. Now an SSR is "basically" a truck...Michigan has them listed as Pick-Up's. Did some quick figuring (a base SSR weighs approx 4700 lbs...not sure what a fully loaded SSR like mine weighs). Add the fuel (6 lbs a gallon), two passengers, bunch of "stuph" in the rear bed and I came up around 5350 lbs. Divided by four and you get a 1337 lb. load on each tire. So should the tires be high performance truck tires? I guess when I start searching around I will be taking a close look at the load ratings. When I did a quick search on this forum for posts on replacement tires I did not see any mention of load ratings on any of the posts.
GVW is 6050lb cargo capacity 1000lbs That's just under 1800lbs per wheel. you need to get tire with an XL load rating.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
Mike in Az and I have mentioned this in older threads. We who tend to load more towards the limit of the stock tires have to pay more attention. Those of you who don't choose to run your loads to the LIMIT, can run it down to a lower rating and be perfectly fine. I ran 6 years as a daily driver until I retired. Mileage and All Weather came into play there, more so than Load. Don'y forget, Cheap tires are.... afterall, Cheap Tires. 255x50/19 Front tires will work just Fine and have a wider selection for you, money wise, too. Hope this helps.

Reactions: USASSR

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,062 Posts
Since the SSR has an official GVW of 6050, you should probably consider the OEM tire load rating numbers as the minimum certified value for the SSR.

The OEM front tires are rated as a “100” and the rear as a “106”. 100 rating is 1764lbs and 106 is 2094lbs.

Here’s a link to an example of the chart......
https://www.tiresplus.com/tires/tire-buying-guide/tire-load-index-chart/

As a side note, most tire shops will not mount a tire on a vehicle that does not meet the minimum load and speed ratings of the OEM tires for that vehicle.

Regards,

Mike

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
From James (“Jim G”) Gnitecki's SSR Experience...

At some point, you will need to replace the original tires, and at that time, you have an
opportunity to look for a tire that includes a rim protector and also perhaps a higher speed
rating (“just in case” you ever get the chance to legally and safely exceed 130 mph!).

One other factor often overlooked by tire buyers is the weight of the tire. Because the tire is
the outermost component in the wheel and tire assembly, and because that assembly rotates
at very high speeds (about 900 rpm at 80 mph on the SSR) and is heavy (62 lb per tire/wheel
assembly on the SSR), it has tremendous moment of inertia. Any reduction in tire weight –
even a very small one – has a big positive influence on handling.
The stock Goodyear front tires weigh 28 pounds each, and the rear tires weigh 32 pounds
each. Any saving you can obtain will be very beneficial.

There are many technical factors that go into tire safety and suitability for each specific
proposed use. Be sure to consult with a qualified tire professional to ensure that such factors
as tire type, size, aspect ratio, weight capacity, load range, speed rating, clearance from
vehicle components, vehicle ground clearance, etc. are all properly considered. Lest you
underestimate the importance of this, remember that the SSR weighs about 4725 pounds
empty, and with a full tank of fuel, driver, and passenger, could weigh as much as 5400 lb.
before placing any cargo in the back. This loading would exceed the manufacturer’s rating for
a number of otherwise seemingly suitable tires. Furthermore, when cornering, the weight on
the outside tires increases dramatically! You must not simply consider static weight alone!

·
Premium Member
9,312 Posts
GVW is 6050lb cargo capacity 1000lbs That's just under 1800lbs per wheel. you need to get tire with an XL load rating.
GVW includes cargo capacity and fuel load, so 1515 lbs per corner - but that is static weight. There should be an allowance beyond that for somewhat aggressive cornering.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,062 Posts
GVW includes cargo capacity and fuel load, so 1515 lbs per corner - but that is static weight. There should be an allowance beyond that for somewhat aggressive cornering.
Yes... correct. That's why GM installed 1764lb tires (load rating 100) on the front and 2094lb tires (load rating 106) on the back.

When replacing tires on the SSR, I would choose to have equal or better load and speed rated tires.....

My 2 cents,

Mike

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,039 Posts
Another reason to run what came on it from the factory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts