Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need recommendations on a good tire pressure monitoring system.(preferably Chrome).

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
:|
Since you mention (chrome), that suggests you're looking into an "external" type of sensor versus an (internal) inside the wheel type sensor.

I have the FOBO system on my Harley, mine are black but I think they may have a chrome option as well.

Problem is they are kinda big in size and not all that attractive hanging on the outside of your wheels on the valve stem. Not a big deal on the Harley..........but I don't like that look on a nice set of wheels/tires on a car/truck.:nerd:

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
Mine are black. NBD when you are driving of course.

If you want to show the R then carry a nice set of chrome regular set and switch out. They are very simple and is just screw on and screw off.

IMO

Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,196 Posts
Just bought and had installed new tires on the Silverado and they reset all the internal sensors on the factory mag wheels. Next day dash light was on that tires needed checking. Went back and they determined left front Wheel the sensor would not reset. Took it all apart and replaced sensor for $79. All works fine now. They were 10 years old and I asked if I should replace them all and they said only the bad one so that is what I did. Don't know the brand name. Just throwing that out there for information.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
No need to break down.

That is one thing I like about the external (valve cap) ones such as I have on my SSR. They can be moved from wheel to wheel and the battery (watch type) can be replaced without taking the tire down. Mine displays through the radio (Kenwood) and shows the pressure in each tire when you start and also has a button that you can push to display.

I have a Silverado and Prius V that have two sets of wheels/tires for each. When the wheels/tires are changed in the fall and spring I have to have the TPMS system reset. That is about $25 and the Prius is specific to the point that each sending unit has its own numerical code. If a battery goes down then the tire needs broke down and the unit is removed via the inside of the wheel.

Just my two cents.

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is one thing I like about the external (valve cap) ones such as I have on my SSR. They can be moved from wheel to wheel and the battery (watch type) can be replaced without taking the tire down. Mine displays through the radio (Kenwood) and shows the pressure in each tire when you start and also has a button that you can push to display.

I have a Silverado and Prius V that have two sets of wheels/tires for each. When the wheels/tires are changed in the fall and spring I have to have the TPMS system reset. That is about $25 and the Prius is specific to the point that each sending unit has its own numerical code. If a battery goes down then the tire needs broke down and the unit is removed via the inside of the wheel.

Just my two cents.

Dave
Dave, how low does pressure have to get before the warning comes on?

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
:|
My setup is able to vary the "warning" psi setpoint. I believe most systems (at least the external ones) would be cause they don't know what wheel/tire size you are installing on and what the recommended pressures might be.

·
Premium Member
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
/forum/images/SSRFanatic_2016/smilies/tango_face_plain.png
My setup is able to vary the "warning" psi setpoint. I believe most systems (at least the external ones) would be cause they don't know what wheel/tire size you are installing on and what the recommended pressures might be.
Good point there Mo. The old brain don't click in as fast as it used to.

·
Premium Member
3,370 Posts
Idk

I have mine set to 1.8 bar. It can be adjusted.

I purchased mine a few years back from a seller on E-bay. I looked at the unit now and I do not see a brand name.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,941 Posts
Is that preset or can you adjust it? What brand you have?
PreSet, No Name Ebay Purchase. Had them several years replaced the batteries once.
They are much smaller than most and I have to point out they are TPMS sensors. Has a small display that plugs into 12V outlet that I have mounted in the center of my custom gauge pod powered off a Ign. On source.
Greg

Attachments

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,196 Posts
I have mine set to 1.8 bar. It can be adjusted.

I purchased mine a few years back from a seller on E-bay. I looked at the unit now and I do not see a brand name.

Dave
What does 1.8 bar mean? No measurement I have heard of or ever saw on an air gauge?

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,466 Posts

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,196 Posts
What Is One Bar of Pressure? | Reference.com
http://www.reference.com/science/one...15001367c5db9c
One bar is a measure of atmospheric pressure that is equal to the pressure felt at sea level on Earth. It has largely replaced the older unit of one atmosphere, which is equal to 1.013 bar.
https://www.convertunits.com/from/bar/to/pound/square+inch
Thanks but not much help there. Just tells you how to covert it to pounds which air gauges are in the first place.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,466 Posts
Thanks but not much help there. Just tells you how to covert it to pounds which air gauges are in the first place.
I was editing my post as you were answering it so I did the edit to your post as well..

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
:banghead

For sure. Going back into last year or so, I challenged Dave, (From my home state of Nebraska)...........to explain why he chooses to use that ..............PRETTY MUCH UNKNOWN TO ANYONE ELSE......method of extracting the amount of air in his tires.

I can only conclude that it gives him some sense of (fun/humor) knowing that 99% of us are mostly clueless as to how to translate that method.:crazy

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,196 Posts
My tires are set at 2.757902911999965 bar then according to the conversion device.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I bought a set from China, $45. free shipping.. They're black I think the weight was 5 grams.. The receiver is about the size of a 50 cent piece and dived for each tire.. I plug the receiver into the ash tray 12v plug.. It gives me tire presser for each tire and can be changed to read tire temp.. I've had it for about 8 months , it's easy to read and starts flashing on any one of tires that drops 5# below the rest.......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts