Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tires on my 2005 are the original tires. That means they are 13 years old now. Even with only 22,000+ miles on the tires probably should look into replacing them this year or next at the latest. Just wondering what brands & models any of you have used with the plus and minus's of each after the purchase. Also what about the tire pressure sensors? Are they the Schrader brand? If so is there a model number and are they the same as used on the later C5 & C6 Corvettes? I just ordered new tires for my 2000 Corvette C5 and the older Gen 1 Schrader senors are not made anymore so had to go with the Gen 2's, same as on the C6 Corvettes. 1300 bucks for everything....not cheap..:surprise:..LOL

thanks

·
Premium Member
6,841 Posts
Several different threads on tire size's and manufacturer. I just replaced my frt. Same problem good tread, but old. I don't believe our SSR'S have sensors for air pressure.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,092 Posts
The SSR did not come with TPMS . You can add an aftermarket system with internal sensors like OEM when you have the tires mounted or use aftermarket external sensors that screw into the valve stem.
I installed the external ones I found on EBay and they work great. Readout plugs into cigarette lighter.
Greg

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
The SSR did not come with TPMS . You can add an aftermarket system with internal sensors like OEM when you have the tires mounted or use aftermarket external sensors that screw into the valve stem.
I installed the external ones I found on EBay and they work great. Readout plugs into cigarette lighter.
Greg
:smile2:
Do you have a pic of your tire/wheel with those external sensors showing? I've got a set of FOBO sensors on my Harley bagger, they come in handy and the readout is available on my smart phone.

While they are not at all noticeable on the back tire of the bike, the front one is visible and doesn't look too out of place. Not so sure that a set on the SSR would look as well unless your set is smaller than those offered via FOBO.:|

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,092 Posts
Do you have a pic of your tire/wheel with those external sensors showing? I've got a set of FOBO sensors on my Harley bagger, they come in handy and the readout is available on my smart phone.

While they are not at all noticeable on the back tire of the bike, the front one is visible and doesn't look too out of place. Not so sure that a set on the SSR would look as well unless your set is smaller than those offered via FOBO.:|
Pics attached. I found these on Ebay over a year ago. No brand name. Batteries lasted a year were easy and cheap to change. They work great. Display is a small LCD screen 1.25" and plugs into the cig lighter and the ashtray will close with it in there. These I found were the smallest ones and are almost unnoticeable. would be even better if they were silver. They go to sleep if the vehicle is not moving for a while to save batteries, wake up and display after a minute of the tire moving again. These have already saved me once when I picked up a drywall screw in a rear tire that slowly leaked. The display flashes and beeps if the tire is below 28psi, I was able to stop and air up the tire to get to a tire shop and get it repaired. this was before I installed Mikes Spare Tire kit and I would have been stuck on the side of the road. I think these cost about $40. A lot cheaper than a tow!
Greg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Thank goodness our SSR's DO NOT have OEM tire pressure sensors. I despise them, they are nothin' but additional extra junk !!! tennesseecozydog :ssr
T Dog....Now you should realize that this response (begs) further explanation.

One is left wondering..........Gee, he doesn't give a rip about how much air is in all the tires or in fact really does but prefers to unscrew each valve stem cap and stick a gauge on it (hopefully the gauge is accurate) and of course you have an air compressor handy too.

I've got all those things, and wouldn't mind having sensors on the SSR so as not to hassle with the manual checking scenario.

I can tell ya for certain, it's one LARGE PAIN IN THE AZZ to check and/or add air to the back tire on a bagger harley. Checking the psi before taking off via a look at an app on your smart phone is hands down a superior choice for me.:wink2:

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,638 Posts

One is left wondering..........Gee, he doesn't give a rip about how much air is in all the tires or in fact really does but prefers to unscrew each valve stem cap and stick a gauge on it (hopefully the gauge is accurate) and of course you have an air compressor handy too.

I've got all those things, and wouldn't mind having sensors on the SSR so as not to hassle with the manual checking scenario.

I can tell ya for certain, it's one LARGE PAIN IN THE AZZ to check and/or add air to the back tire on a bagger harley. Checking the psi before taking off via a look at an app on your smart phone is hands down a superior choice for me.:wink2:

You are assuming we have a smart phone. Ha! Ha! Remember most of us oldies are cave people as my kids call me. Just saying. Had a few flats on my Harley's over the years and it is not fun. Nothing to do but ride her out and hope you don't go down. Then change your underwear. Have a good one.

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
Two Tone Owner
2,796 Posts
After getting stuck on the highway with a flat tire, I installed a Shrader aftermarket TPMS.
I’ve had it about 4 years and works great.
Nexen tires, work great and cheap.
:yellow:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm an idiot.....LOL Thanks for the update on the sensors......sometimes all the vehicles sort of get all mashed together with the different options on each...........

Several different threads on tire size's and manufacturer. I just replaced my frt. Same problem good tread, but old. I don't believe our SSR'S have sensors for air pressure.

·
Premium Member
7,432 Posts

I've been checking my tires manually since 1955 scooter boy and I do give a rip how much air is in my tires. Wow, that is really a pain to bend over and remove 4 valve caps and gauge the tires. The SSR oil dipstick is really a pain to get to but I still check it. Just good preventive maintenance that I was taught back in the 50's

In addition your 2nd paragraph is a stupid remark and now please refer to your 4th paragraph ... we're talkin' about SSR's not Harley's !!! By the way, Harley is supposed to be capitalized. I rest my case. tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
9,414 Posts
Thank goodness our SSR's DO NOT have OEM tire pressure sensors. I despise them, they are nothin' but additional extra junk !!! tennesseecozydog :ssr
I think you're out to lunch on this one.

It's unfortunate that GM did not see fit to put a TPMS system on a truck that does not come with a spare. I dont know when they started putting it in their vehicles, but my 2007 Caddy SRX has it.

I installed a Dakota Digital TPMS system on my 03 in early 05, replacing one of the auxiliary gauges. I transferred it to my 06, and I consider it the most valuable gauge on my truck, one that I check constantly.

Twice, the system has saved a tire and possibly a $1000 billet wheel. Sure, you can check each wheel with a tire gauge, but I can do the same thing on all four within seconds of my truck moving. If all are up to correct pressure, all is good. If not, easy to deal with.

Where the system becomes very valuable is when you get a slow leak or flat while you're moving or while you're parked somewhere other than home. I don't think even you would re-check tire pressure when you're leaving a restaurant late at night. If you don't check them, and don't have a TPMS system, you don't have an alarm going off to let you know one tire is down. I do, and damned glad to have it. It has saved me a tire and possibly a $1000 billet wheel on two occasions.

Even a great driver is unlikely to notice a rear tire is going down until it is too late to save the tire. Hit a bump in that situation, and the wheel is likely gone too.

I have factory TPMS systems on my two other vehicles, and very happy to have them.

Reactions: James Dean

·
Premium Member
7,432 Posts
I think you're out to lunch on this one.

It's unfortunate that GM did not see fit to put a TPMS system on a truck that does not come with a spare. I dont know when they started putting it in their vehicles, but my 2007 Caddy SRX has it.

I installed a Dakota Digital TPMS system on my 03 in early 05, replacing one of the auxiliary gauges. I transferred it to my 06, and I consider it the most valuable gauge on my truck, one that I check constantly.

Twice, the system has saved a tire and possibly a $1000 billet wheel. Sure, you can check each wheel with a tire gauge, but I can do the same thing on all four within seconds of my truck moving. If all are up to correct pressure, all is good. If not, easy to deal with.

Where the system becomes very valuable is when you get a slow leak or flat while you're moving or while you're parked somewhere other than home. I don't think even you would re-check tire pressure when you're leaving a restaurant late at night. If you don't check them, and don't have a TPMS system, you don't have an alarm going off to let you know one tire is down. I do, and damned glad to have it. It has saved me a tire and possibly a $1000 billet wheel on two occasions.

Even a great driver is unlikely to notice a rear tire is going down until it is too late to save the tire. Hit a bump in that situation, and the wheel is likely gone too.

I have factory TPMS systems on my two other vehicles, and very happy to have them.[/QUOTE/

Flassh, thanks for your "story" which is very well put but ... I still do NOT like tire sensors. Some of you guy & gals like 'em, I'm just one that doesn't care for them ole buddy. At least it's been a lively discussion thanks to "Mo" and I appreciate his feedback. What do ya' say, let's put it to rest !!! :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
"At least it's been a lively discussion thanks to "Mo" and I appreciate his feedback. What do ya' say, let's put it to rest !!! tennesseecozydog "

OK, it was just starting to get fun, but we can let it go and two be sur, I'll wurk on improvin my spelin to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts