Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My tire inflator kit has never been used. The 700 ml sealant bottle indicates the contents are best before 2008. Is this sealant still available through GM? Is there a substitute? Thanks.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,400 Posts
Hi. My tire inflator kit has never been used. The 700 ml sealant bottle indicates the contents are best before 2008. Is this sealant still available through GM? Is there a substitute? Thanks.
Lennie,
Welcome from one of the SoCal Nuts. You have come to the right place to get answers to you questions. You might find that there is more than one answer and you will have to figure out which is the best for you.

I believe there is sealant still available but... I have always been told that sealant is a long term problem if you use it. It is nearly impossible to get off the inside of the wheel and it makes the tire not repairable. It is usually possible to get the repairable tire blown up to high enough pressure to run at slower speed and stop again, when the pressure goes down, to pump it up again. I do not carry the sealant and I prefer to use the pump over putting on the spare, from simple-engineering.com, which I also have mounted under the bed.
Hope this is helpful

Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
Spirited driver!
1,545 Posts
Hi Lennie and welcome. I too carry a mounted spare tire but I wanted to warn you that the air compressor unit has sealant pre-loaded into it and you need to make sure that it is disconnected at the bottom of the compressor that if you want to use it just to inflate your tire without using the sealant. I only know this because I accidentally used sealant on my wife's Cadillac that had a slow leak. When I saw that there was a bit of sealant leaking out of the valve stem, I yanked it off real quick and proceeded to squirt sealant all over the wheel and parking lot. On the positive side, even a little bit of the 12 year-old sealant still works and the tire now longer has a leak!

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
I too carry a mounted spare tire but I wanted to warn you that the air compressor unit has sealant pre-loaded into it and you need to make sure that it is disconnected at the bottom of the compressor that if you want to use it just to inflate your tire without using the sealant.
Some do, some don't, it depends on which pump you have. ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I recommend you replace the sealant can and have one that isn't expired on hand if needed. While traveling I had a flat and had to use the sealant to get me to a shop. I let them plug the tire as a short term fix. After returning home I had a patch put on after they had taken the wheel and tire off. If I remember correctly it took them a couple of hours to do the work including cleaning all of the sealant out of the tire. They said if you leave the sealant inside the tire will be harder to balance.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I recommend you replace the sealant can and have one that isn't expired on hand if needed. While traveling I had a flat and had to use the sealant to get me to a shop. I let them plug the tire as a short term fix. After returning home I had a patch put on after they had taken the wheel and tire off. If I remember correctly it took them a couple of hours to do the work including cleaning all of the sealant out of the tire. They said if you leave the sealant inside the tire will be harder to balance.
Very true "WM" when I worked at Bud's Tire ... the Shop guys hated and I mean hated to see a tire come in with Sealant in it. Had to get all the "slime" outa' there before it could be patched. I do carry a can of it in my Cargo area ... hope I don't ever have to use it. Gettin' a 17 X 7 rim with 6 on 5 lug pattern shortly I hope. tennesseecozydog & Red Molly :ssr

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
I purchased an ultra small but capable jack. I do repairs on all my cars with a tire plug found at Wal-marts. Jack car up enough to find the leak and plug it while still on the car. Apply air from compressor and away I go. I personally would never use the bottled slime to repair a flat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts