Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have maintained good pressure in my tires and now have 27K on them. The rear tires have worn in the center like they are over inflated. The front tires eat off the inside corner. I had it alligned but the shop found it barely out of allignment. Anyone else have this kind of tire wear? :cool :cool

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
yes

Even the posted 30psi will cause the centers to wear.

Wear on the inside edges is indicative of too much toe out.

Have you either, hit a pothole, ran off the edge of the pavement at speed or hit a curb hard, or, or, or...

Any of the above can knock a wheel out of alignment.

The SSR's steering is so finely tuned from the factory that small misalignments can be easily felt. Toe out makes it hard to steer a straight path. The truck wants to go either right or left. As you correct, and the truck starts coming to center, it will jump from pulling one way to pulling the other. With radical toe out this will be a very sharp transition. Even with mild toe out, the truck just will not go straight down the road.

BTW: Once tires have been worn unequally, even fixing the alignment won't make the truck drive properly. It will take replacing the tires too.

OOoo: If a wheel did take a hard knock. Have the inside of the rim checked to see that it didn't get warped. Warped or bent, it will feel like the wheel is out of balance.

PS: It seems that all shops now routinely put 40psi in all tires. I suspect that is fallout from all the SUV tire blowout rollovers. Even the oil change shops will put 40psi in your tires as a courtesy.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Heat is where its at!

Tyre wear? I have been using an Infra Red temperature gun (Raytech). This reads heat at a spot without contact.
First got it for diagnosing fuel problems on my blown pontiac - will spot 0.1 degree differences in temperature so spottign the exhaust headers really works fo rthe engine.

I use it for checking the temperature o my snake enclosures - and you guessed it.

Its great for checking the temperatur of the tyres from one side to the other - you dont need to get fancy about the actual running temperature - just check the temperature across each of the tyres afetr running at normal speeds (but be quick!)

Its a quick way to spot a tyre heating more in the middle and adjusting the temperatures / pressures - also to balance out the tyres from side to side. Just now I got 32psi on one side at rear and 31 in the other (drivers side) and they are running happily with no uneven tread wear.

Just a thought

·
Registered
2 Posts
Allignment

I have maintained good pressure in my tires and now have 27K on them. The rear tires have worn in the center like they are over inflated. The front tires eat off the inside corner. I had it alligned but the shop found it barely out of allignment. Anyone else have this kind of tire wear? :cool :cool
I have the same issue with the front tires and the shop found it was toed out too much and camber was out of spec.
I took it back in to them again after a week to try to get the steering wheel straightened. The told me the wheel is straight and that the rear end is out of allignment and the truck is actually going down the road somewhat sideways.

·
2,421 Posts
BENT FRAME? FROM A ACCIDENT.BODY SHOPS AROUND HER CALL THEM DOG WALKERS. MY 2 CENTS:silver:

·
2,421 Posts
:bangheadSorry Above 2 Cents Directed At Almeier

1 - 8 of 8 Posts