Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just passed the 9000 mile mark on my factory tires and was wondering what kind of mileage I can expect. Just purchased a set of 4 wheels from a member and trying to decide weather to purchase 2 tires, have them mounted in case of emergency or purchase 4 tires and get ready for a tire swap in the near future when my present tires wear. Then I would have 2 used spare tires mounted and could sell the remaining 2.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

bcbear

·
Registered
178 Posts
bcbear10 said:
Just passed the 9000 mile mark on my factory tires and was wondering what kind of mileage I can expect. Just purchased a set of 4 wheels from a member and trying to decide weather to purchase 2 tires, have them mounted in case of emergency or purchase 4 tires and get ready for a tire swap in the near future when my present tires wear. Then I would have 2 used spare tires mounted and could sell the remaining 2.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

bcbear

I have about 22000 miles on my 04 ssr and the tires are still in pretty good shape. should be able to get about 40000 miles out of the factory tires. I even break traction a lot on the back tires and they have held up pretty good. :flag

·
Registered
374 Posts
comley said:
I have about 22000 miles on my 04 ssr and the tires are still in pretty good shape. should be able to get about 40000 miles out of the factory tires. I even break traction a lot on the back tires and they have held up pretty good. :flag
If I get anywhere near that mileage, I will be one happy dude.

I have no experience with Goodyears on my SSR, but I do know that high performance tires tend to have horrible mileage life. I was looking at the Volvo V70R, for example, and right in the advertising they say 20,000 tops for the tires.

I can believe it. My Marauder was on its 4th set of tires when I traded her at 58,000 miles. The OEM's were BF Goodrich KDWS/KDW2 tires, 18", and the car could not be properly aligned to prevent premature inner tire wear on the fronts due to it being lowered, and the design of the front end was such that even factory settings and OEM suspension caused premature wear. I got 15,000 on the fronts, maybe 18,000 on the rears. And they were wore slap out at those numbers.

The rears would wear out in the centers prematurely, partly due to spinning the tires on takeoff (no traction control). BF Goodrich engineers later explained that increasing tire pressure to around 40 PSI would help rear tire wear, something about the pressure holding the side walls and preventing the tread from bulging.

I never went in for that, kept everything at 32-34 PSI. Still had to replace the buggers more often than I wanted to.

Bright side was the tries weren't horiibly expensive. (About $130 each from Tire Rack)

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
I have almost 24000 miles, and mine still look good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts