1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good news:

Tirerack.com is running a special on our rear tires - $139 each

Bad news:

I needed one because of a sidewall blowout (guess I hit a curb - not sure- big bang all I heard/felt). Dealers in town had them on hand, wanted $249-$389 for the exact same (Goodyear) tire! For the price difference, I can wait!

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Good Luck

I hope your luck is better than mine. Ordered a set of tires Sept 5, UPS 'delvered' them to a residence somewhere.. # weeks later I still have no tires and no refund. Am I pissed :cuss - of course.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just Tires

Hmmmmmmmmmmm my buddy owns a JUST TIRES any price on the net Tire Rack etc he will give me that price...and its 3 blocks from the house old time networking of sources will always prevail

B

·
0 Posts
Curb Protection

If you are going to get spares I woud suggest getting some that has curb protection. It will help from scratching wheels, espeicially the painted ones. I learned the hard way. thats why I changed them out on mine right after I bought it. :thumbs

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you want curb protection, get a bigger size! On two of my trucks I took 275 /45 x 20's off and put on 305/50 x 20's on the rears and the bigger size and moving to 50 series raised the wheels up off the concrete further and stuck some rubber out to protect the wheels AND looked good! On the 3rd truck I replaced the 265/70 x 17's with 315's and they fit, look good and give protection. For rearwheel drive vehicles, it works very well on the rears. 305/50's would not be much bigger than SSR stock but I bought them at TireRack for $130 something and that would give you protection without buying some funny brand with "protection.".

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Danko said:
If you want curb protection, get a bigger size! On two of my trucks I took 275 /45 x 20's off and put on 305/50 x 20's on the rears and the bigger size and moving to 50 series raised the wheels up off the concrete further and stuck some rubber out to protect the wheels AND looked good! On the 3rd truck I replaced the 265/70 x 17's with 315's and they fit, look good and give protection. For rearwheel drive vehicles, it works very well on the rears. 305/50's would not be much bigger than SSR stock but I bought them at TireRack for $130 something and that would give you protection without buying some funny brand with "protection.".

Thanks for the idea, I had not thought of that. :thumbs

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Danko I don't have a calculator handy, but going from a 275/45 to a 305/50 may look amd protect good, but it may adversly affect handling with the higher sidewall, even with the increased traction,. The larger circimference would act like a numerically higher final drive ratio and adversly affect torque multplication and thus acceleration feel, and throw off your speedo and odometer. Just my $.o2 Also depending on the tire chosen, you may be increasing unsprung weight.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I went to several local tire specialty shops that all promised to match tire racks prices, but where they nail ya is on the mounting costs! They wanted around 65 bucks apiece to mount the tires! I ordered from tire rack, got em in two days and my dealer put em on for $15 each. :thumbs

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
sorry to hear that - I got lucky

hdflstf said:
I hope your luck is better than mine. Ordered a set of tires Sept 5, UPS 'delvered' them to a residence somewhere.. # weeks later I still have no tires and no refund. Am I pissed :cuss - of course.

i can't complain - ordered at 2 pm THURSDAY tires were at my local Big O at 2 pm Friday! Big O mounted it for $30.

I like the price-match idea - I will try that next time.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I buy both from Tire rack and local guys. I have found that many of the local guys would match tire rack prices but some do not. If you buy from TR, you still have to pay to get it installed. Firestone matched the price on my Wife's Range Rover and charged me $65 for installation. In return, I get free tire rotation for the life of the tires.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
The 305/50s are not such a good idea.

If you do the math, you find they are 32.0 inches in diameter versus 29.3 for the stock 295/40s.

Thus, thyey raise the vehicle by 1.35" ((32 - 29.3)/2). This not only doesn't look too good (most SSR owners want to LOWER their vehicles!), but also makes the vehicle handle worse because of the higher center of gravity and higher tire sidewall.

They also make the overall gearing TALLER by 9.2%, which is a VERY bad idea. The SSR desperately needs SHORTER gearing, not taller.

Putiing on 305/50s is like changing the 3.73 axle to a 3.4 axle. Bad.

Jim G

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
KySSR: Not only stock sizes, but as you would see from chapters 12 and 14 of my book, if you or your tire dealer do your analysis WELL, you will probably end up with EXACTLY the same Goodyear tires the SSR came with. The technical reasons are too lengthy for a thread like this, but they are compelling. Chevy enginerrs made a GREAT choice.

Jim G

·
Registered
615 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
KySSR: Not only stock sizes, but as you would see from chapters 12 and 14 of my book, if you or your tire dealer do your analysis WELL, you will probably end up with EXACTLY the same Goodyear tires the SSR came with. The technical reasons are too lengthy for a thread like this, but they are compelling. Chevy enginerrs made a GREAT choice.

Jim G
Everyone has there opinion about tires and makers of them. I have always found that Goodyear makes inferior tires compared to many others. From there trailer tires to their "Supercar" tires. For more than 12 years, I traveled all over the U.S.A., pulling a trailer 60 to 75 thousand miles a year. Running BF Goodrich and General tires and never had a blowout, until switched to Goodyears. The Supercar Goodyear tires would float my Z06 like a boat in the rain. Anything over 55 MPH was taking your life in your hands in the rain. Finally, my Cobra Mustang came with Goodyears. The Ford dealer found my vibration in the Cobra above 65 MPH, three of the goodyears were out of round (brand new from the factory). So, I switched to Toyo's, which was like night and day. Great ride, traction and handling in rain or dry. Just for me, Goodyear tires are an overrated P.O.S. I will take Toyo's any day over Goodyear.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I have never had the Goodyears on my SSR slip in rain. They corner well too.

But what is really interesting is checking out the WEIGHT of the tires on Tirerack.com. :)

Tire weight has a profound effect on vehicle handling, accelertion, and feel.

Jim G

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Tires

I have now had 2 sets of Goodyear tires on my SSR. I thought the first set were fantastic...I'm thinking that the second set sticks less. I get screeching on take off (even if not WOT) in places I didn't get it before. On my Camaro's I've always had to replace the tires before the tread wore out because they wouldn't stick any more....I tried Goodyear, Pirrelli, Firestone and others none really held up and I was repacing tires every year.

My guess is that the original set I had were just "freshly" made and that my new set had been sitting around a while....

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
WOWFCTR: You raise a good point. Tire age (freshness) IS a big factor.

A FEW more are:

- Composition and condition of local roads (concrete versus asphalt, and different types of asphalt too)

- Season ( in construction season a lot more dust and dirt on the roads which makes them slippery, summer heat brings out slippery oils, winter cold reduce traction)

- Appropriateness or inappropiateness of the target air pressure specified by the manufacturer of the vehicle or of the tires

- Amount of temperature variation (if a lot, air pressure varies a lot from morning (cold) to afternoon (hotter) and thus affects traction)

- Driver's driving style / needs /expectations

Jim G

1 - 20 of 20 Posts