Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,950 Posts
I got more than 40k.....but now I'm halfway through another set :eek


(Anybody donating unwanted OEM tires can PM me :jester )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
One of the unexpected bennies that came along with the great buy I got on my left over '05 ($16K off the sticker) was free "tires for life". I hadn't heard about it until we were finishing the "deal" and the salesman mentioned it. As long as I get 25k miles on a set they will replace them free with OEM Goodyears.
Can it get any better? :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs
 

·
Machell
Joined
·
20,829 Posts
you better make sure you keep the pressure on the low side. Mine have over16k on them and showing wear in the middle (rear tires only)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
What pressure do you recommend? I have them at 32psi cold. Is that too high?
Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,950 Posts
Ron said:
One of the unexpected bennies that came along with the great buy I got on my left over '05 ($16K off the sticker) was free "tires for life". I hadn't heard about it until we were finishing the "deal" and the salesman mentioned it. As long as I get 25k miles on a set they will replace them free with OEM Goodyears.
Can it get any better? :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

Wow! I could have used that deal!
:smash
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
I couldn't get those OE Goodyears off fast enough. The difference between the OE tire and a good high performance tire like the Goodrich KDW2 is like night and day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,950 Posts
Wildcat69 said:
I couldn't get those OE Goodyears off fast enough. The difference between the OE tire and a good high performance tire like the Goodrich KDW2 is like night and day.
What did you do with them?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Wildcat69 said:
I couldn't get those OE Goodyears off fast enough. The difference between the OE tire and a good high performance tire like the Goodrich KDW2 is like night and day.
Tires are optimized for their intended use. High performance doesn't equate to long life. Dry grip doesn't equate to wet grip. A tire can not be good at all things.

I think it is a little unfair to say the OE tires are not good and then compare them to a tire like the KDW2 which is a tire in a different performance category altogether. The Goodyear Eagle RS-A is a High Performance All-season tire. The KDW2 is an Ultra High Performance Summer tire. I could just as easily say the KDW2 wears out too fast or doesn't work well in the snow. We would both be right. So the question really comes down to what is important to you?

The KDW2 ranks very highly in the Tirerack ratings for Ultra High Performance Summer tires. But, if max dry performance is your thing, the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 is the highest ranking tire in the Tirerack survey in the Max Performance Summer category. :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
All excellent points, Subdriver. It is an individual choice based upon need. I need a high performance tire with superior wet and dry traction (not much snow here in Florida). All tires are a compromise of some sort. BTW, thanks for all of the great Amsoil products. I am switching all of my fluids over after researching the info links that you have provided. Only the best for my SSR!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
I just hit 30,000 miles

And my tires still look pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
Wildcat69 said:
I couldn't get those OE Goodyears off fast enough. The difference between the OE tire and a good high performance tire like the Goodrich KDW2 is like night and day.
I will give you an Amen to that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
Subdriver said:
Tires are optimized for their intended use. High performance doesn't equate to long life. Dry grip doesn't equate to wet grip. A tire can not be good at all things.

I think it is a little unfair to say the OE tires are not good and then compare them to a tire like the KDW2 which is a tire in a different performance category altogether. The Goodyear Eagle RS-A is a High Performance All-season tire. The KDW2 is an Ultra High Performance Summer tire. I could just as easily say the KDW2 wears out too fast or doesn't work well in the snow. We would both be right. So the question really comes down to what is important to you?

The KDW2 ranks very highly in the Tirerack ratings for Ultra High Performance Summer tires. But, if max dry performance is your thing, the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 is the highest ranking tire in the Tirerack survey in the Max Performance Summer category. :cheers
Sort of like Drano, Oop's I mean Zanio. After switching the Goodyears for ToYo's on my Cobra Mustang, it was like going from Hell to Heaven. I firmly believe that ToYo makes the best "all around" tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Toyo tires

I just returned from a 1,000 mile trip, after switching to Toyo tires. Same size on rear and 275/45/19 on the front. Toyo Proxes S/T. The ride is excellent, the tire wear is almost double, and the Goodyear tires were shot after 10,000 miles. The only difference is the Toyo tires weigh more, and the front tires have approximately .35 bigger radius.
 

·
Enjoying life as it comes
Joined
·
5,208 Posts
If....

You believe that KDW2's are not good in wet weather, you've obviously never driven on a set. I have them on mine and been though torential down pours traveling 70-75 up and down hills and around corners, and I must say they work extremely well in wet weather too. I like them much better than the Goodyears.

Less tire noise, better traction wet or dry, and so far better wear capability (10,000 miles and barely any wear at all. MAYBE USED 1/10 OF TREAD).

I use the Goodyears for storage now.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top