Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
1,357 Posts
Yes, try tirebuyer.com They have quite a selection of TOYOs, and per @Dicktator 's note, most of the TOYOs in sizes for our truck carry the XL, or extra load classification. That is what you must look for in procuring tires for such a heavy vehicle. That is where I got my TOYO Proxes 4Plus a few years ago, but it looks like that tire has been replaced by a newer design. It looks like Tire Rack is into TOYO as well, probably others. Discount Tire lists TOYO and they may have a retail store in your area. Pick the sizes you want front and rear when you have decided which tire and size you like to make sure that the same tire is available front and rear, such that they match.

· BAD BOW TIE
12,172 Posts
For my daily drivers, next time I purchase tires.
I will be looking for some that I can dismount and rotate.
I want more Bang for my Buckeroos 💵

FYI
Front and back not the same size. Cannot rotate.

· Premium Member
04 SSR
4,659 Posts
If the tires are non - directional tires then they can be dismounted and rotated from driver side to passenger side.
There might be a problem with terminology. The term dismount refers to the process of taking the tire off the wheel. It is not used to describe the process of taking tire and wheel assembly off of the car.
You would need to dismount if tires (or wheels) were directional. Asymmetrical tires can be moved side to side without being dismounted.

So probably just say "rotate tires side to side"

· Registered
2003 & 2004 Black SSR
273 Posts
There might be a problem with terminology. The term dismount refers to the process of taking the tire off the wheel. It is not used to describe the process of taking tire and wheel assembly off of the car.
You would need to dismount if tires (or wheels) were directional. Asymmetrical tires can be moved side to side without being dismounted.

I meant dismount the tires off the wheels because, some will still have uneven tire wear on the inside of their tires even after a wheel alignment. This way we hopefully get a few more miles on our investments.

· Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
1,357 Posts

And from my time at a tire store that was into radials, I have always read & been told never to change the direction of rotation of a radial tire once driven on, thus front to rear rather than the old X-rotation scheme for bias-ply tires. Has that warning been changed with the construction process of modern radial tires. Same rule for serpentine belts.

· Registered
2003 & 2004 Black SSR
273 Posts
It is ideal for some of us, the majority prefer the staggered stock wheels and unfortunately for some of us. We will still have uneven wear on the front tires irregardless of alignment. If we can sneak in a few more miles, why not utilize this option.

My daily drivers will get this treatment.

· Premium Member
6,167 Posts
And from my time at a tire store that was into radials, I have always read & been told never to change the direction of rotation of a radial tire once driven on, thus front to rear rather than the old X-rotation scheme for bias-ply tires. Has that warning been changed with the construction process of modern radial tires. Same rule for serpentine belts.
My Michelins are not directional so according to the owner of our tire jobber they can go side to side, or if same size front to back. I am not an expert, but I have been doing it on my other vehicles including 4wd, awd and front wheel drive. But, I get the alignment check every 20K and rotate at 5K.

Just my experience.

I have been looking for some stuff that I forgot I had. I can't decide who I should get to look for it. I am serious here.

· Premium Member
6,167 Posts
I priced new tires for the Silverado since I am approaching 80K on them. $250 plus per. I have about $180 in alignment checks. Only once did I need an adjustment. I drive on trails and dirt roads a bit, so I have more stress on the alignment so I don't know that I may only do it every 40K if it were always on good roads.

· BAD BOW TIE
12,172 Posts
On the SSR most tires have to be replaced way before they are worn out because of age. Too much expense switching them around if you have to pay for it. Like Moscooter said run them down and replace them.

Reactions: tuckerred1948

· Registered
2006 ssr
187 Posts
AD. That is me on the R. Except I use my 10 year old RSA's on my worst rims in the winter. Very limited miles there.

We have put on 5K to 6K every summer except for Covid year. Even the Michelin SS's have not worn down and probably won't before they age out.
If you want to talk about tire wear I only got 4000 miles on my 2017 Z06 with no burn outs $$*$

1 - 20 of 22 Posts