Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gotten different tires than factory on the factory wheels. Other models, larger sizes etc? How did they work out . I would like a more agressive look on replacements.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
New tires.

I work for Michelin Tire Corp and plan on installing BF Goodrich g-force T/As KDWs as soon as I can get my vehicle registration and get them ordered internally. These tires are designed with a built in rim protector, which will protect the rims from curb scrubbing.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/catalog/tires/gforcetakdw.jsp
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/gforce_ta_kdw.pdf

Check out the PDF file above
The BFGs come with a treadwear rating of 300 which is better then the stock Goodyears.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jleas524 said:
I work for Michelin Tire Corp and plan on installing BF Goodrich g-force T/As KDWs as soon as I can get my vehicle registration and get them ordered internally. These tires are designed with a built in rim protector, which will protect the rims from curb scrubbing.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgapp/catalog/tires/gforcetakdw.jsp
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/gforce_ta_kdw.pdf

Check out the PDF file above
The BFGs come with a treadwear rating of 300 which is better then the stock Goodyears.

those are great looking tires. I will take a good look at these for replacements.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Front tire size question

I like the looks of the "new tread" design, but I don't see a 255/45R-19 size. What would you use for the front tires, instead?

R

·
0 Posts
I still want run flats

Guess I've been spoiled with a couple of C5's....If I could put run flats on my SSR...I'd do it.

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,208 Posts
check the spec list

On Tirerack.com, they have a list with specs for the tires. Look up the tire that is the closest match to the tire diameter you have. Mine measured 27.5" and the bfg g-force KDW2'S I ordered were supposed to be 27.5" tall, but were in fact 26.5" tall when intalled on the 18X8" rim. YES, MINE ARE CUSTOM WHEELS. It's been a while since I checked sizes, but one of the threads about tires with PUPRPLE PENELOPE has the tires I found for him in 19". I think it was dated around first of July to mid July.

B

·
0 Posts
Toyo

I have Toyo tires. Up there in Michigan they acted like they never heard of them.
Around here they are a dominant tire. Protect the rims because they set in also. (rub guard)
I used S/T high performance

Front; 275/45/R19 108Y They are .4 inches taller, .6 inches wider. They do not rub or any thing. very good handling I don't know about snow. I know several people that run them on their pickups and love them in the winter.

Back; 315/35/R20 106W they are .6 inches shorter, .6 inches wider. Again no rubbs or problems. they do have the stock size in the 20's.
The fronts call for a 8.5" rim. If you go to the site of our stock tires it says the same thing min 8.5 wide rim. Toyo's are harder to spin than the stock tires thou. I figure they are grabbin the pavement better. They have been on for over 12,000 mi now. still look new. It also gives your SSr a 1" shift overall. low as I want it. It is a truck. I would have kept the vette if I wanted my but to drag the ground. I still like one to be just a little nose down. Don't care for the flat look. Thats just me. You can see tread at their web site, toyo.com/tires
:thumbs :ssr :seeya

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
The only thing about putting run flats on the SSR is that we would have to have pressure sensors installed inside the tire and rim assemblies and a computer would be needed to monitor them.

I like the BFGs because they have that Rub Gaurd that will help prevent damage to the rims...

R

·
0 Posts
jleas524 said:
The only thing about putting run flats on the SSR is that we would have to have pressure sensors installed inside the tire and rim assemblies and a computer would be needed to monitor them.

I like the BFGs because they have that Rub Gaurd that will help prevent damage to the rims...
You say that like that's a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
RocDoc,
Run Flats are a great thing. They are a pain in the a$$ to make (trust me, I know about this well). I would love to retro-fit these on the SSR, but it isn't cost effective for me. I think GM should have incorporated them in with the SSR. The only thing is, is that Michelin does not make the size tire we need. BFG does, but it is not a run flat.
I guess I am biased to Michelin and BFG.

L8R,
John

·
Registered
286 Posts
What about michelin diamaris 4x4. W speed rated, oe on bmw X5 4.6 and Porsche Cayenne. 275/45x19 and 315/35x20. Haven't tried them yet, but they're on my short list.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I will have to check in to them. I just know what was readily available to me, as a Michelin employee. But I still favor the BFG g Force tires.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
FUZZY's right about the tire height being 27.5 on the fronts with the Eagle RSA's. I wanted the BFG g Force tires...when I called Tire Rack and told then what I was driving they said because the tire height in BFG's was 26.5 they wouldn't sell them to me. The magic seemed to be if the height difference from the recommended tire is greater than 3% they deem it an "unrecommended" sale in "my own best interest" Go figure. I believe it is CYA on behalf of Tire Rack. The rear 20's they have in stock.

Needing the tires before the trip to Homecoming I bought Eagle RSA's again. Not my 1st choice, and won't buy RSA's again.

P/P

Peace :flag

1 - 13 of 13 Posts