Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This message "TLAT Hall Switch Fault" is displayed when I raise or lower the top. The process stpos, then I get the message, but I'm still able to continue to lower or raise the tops.

Any advce or idea's what this means?
Thanks for your help.
Terry

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
look in your owners manual think it will tell you there
Thanks, hadn't thought about the obvious. Couldn't find anything with a search here, thought someone else must have seen it before. I'll check out the manual.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
This message "TLAT Hall Switch Fault" is displayed when I raise or lower the top. The process stpos, then I get the message, but I'm still able to continue to lower or raise the tops.

Any advce or idea's what this means?
Thanks for your help.
Terry
Searching for the following words: 'FAULT HALL SWITCH'

Airbag Systems
Airbag Off Switch

Instrument Panel Overview
Center Console Switchbank

This is what came up on a search of Owner's Manual. Don't make much sense to me.
Greg & Grimm:yellow:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Roof Hall Switch Fault

Read a number of items on the forums concerning the problems of not being able to lower roof and getting Hall switch fault. My question (since I had this happen today) is anyone have experience with a particular dealer(s) in the Portland Oregon area and these items that plague the SSR. Mines a 2003 (#141), not sure if the year makes any difference but since this is a new vehicle to us (9000 miles and never registered-GM truck).:ssr Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Found this in the manual

TLAT (tonneau Latch) Hall Switch Fault

This message will be displayed when trying to raise or lower the convertible top and there is a problem with this switch. If the message persists, see your GM dealer for service

I would check the cable connector on the tonneau cover on the drivers side.. could be broken or disconnected.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
28,992 Posts
try a PM to Umpire13. He was talking about this switch at Coco's a couple weeks ago. i would not want to try and relay due to the confusion I could create.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hall Effect Switches

Well, I am in a similar boat......need some expert help.....
After fixing numerous brackets/tonneau latch assembly......
Here is the summary:
Top runs up OK
Top runs down OK
Same problem with both sequences
Tonneau latches will not engage
So I get ROOF AJAR message
Of course with roof ajar message-your bed cover will not electronically
open
Tech II says tonneau position not known
I can force the tonneau cylinders to lock with Tech II (so that lock
mechanisim seems to function OK)
The hall switches appear to be working on the tonneau & filler panel
watching the Tech II I can seem them actuating
Once you force the tonneau to lock, the roof status shows Locked, no
roof ajar dinging, and bed cover controls back in action..OK
All the header latches/dowl pin show locked/good
So what is really controlling the position of the tonneau???
What is the reason the tonneau is not latching?
I put a magnet on each switch......and I got a DTC ?1310&1311 it said
the top was in process up and down.....so it seems logical that one
or both of these switches are working....??

DOOR 1 - is it the passenger side cylinder hall switch on tonneau?
DOOR 2 - is it the magnetic switches on the left & right? or maybe
only one swtch is not working??
DOOR 3 - is it something else - my breath?

I GET NO DTCs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2004 model 10300 miles

Even with a tech II.....this has been a challenge.....as an owner of an XLR, you must have a tech II.......

Need help...thanks Tom 9377506921 :cry

·
Florida SSR Fanatic
632 Posts
I had the same problem!! It is either part number (88980425) or (88980422) latch Assy.. I had to get them from a Salvage Yard as GM does NOT make them any more.. These switches/sensors are located behind each plate in the roof storage compartment. There are one on the drivers side & one on the pax side.. Hope this helps!!

Attachments

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,976 Posts
Here's a quote from the service manual.

"There is a network of Hall effect sensors and limit switches that tell the RDM where the top is and its components are at any given time. Wsing magnetism, Hall effect sensors on the sylinders "sense" the piston as it passes, much like a crankshaft position sensor. This information is used to determine the piston's position.
The stowage compartment lid latches also have a Hall effect sensor to determine if the latch has engaged the striker. There is a magnet on the striker that passes over
the sensor on the latch."

I do not remember the exact number of sequences the system checks to ensure the completion of ONE roof cycle, but it is a numerical "butt load" ! If even one of the Hall sensors does not check in, you get a default message, even if it is an isolated event. If you get a repeated error message, you have a problem, but if it is a one-time occurance, I wouldn't worry... until it sets up a pattern.

·
Registered
28,760 Posts
I had the same problem!! It is either part number (88980425) or (88980422) latch Assy.. I had to get them from a Salvage Yard as GM does NOT make them any more.. These switches/sensors are located behind each plate in the roof storage compartment. There are one on the drivers side & one on the pax side.. Hope this helps!!
Just a thought.... have you PM Marc NY & provide him with the part number & maybe he can get some information directly from the SPO organization.
After all ... it was Bob Walczyk who said "So unless you are hearing of a specific part's unavailability, I don't think there are any worries."

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I had fault codes displayed and had to stop and restart to finish the cycle...up or down. Dealer replaced the wiring harness under warranty. No problem since then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem. Which harness did GM replace? My local dealer had no clue as to how to trouble shoot and the parts are no longer available.

·
Florida SSR Fanatic
632 Posts

See Above!! This will fix it, but you need to find out which side is bad.. If GM had these parts, they are aprov $325. each.. Mine was under warrenty & GM payed for the parts I got from the Salvage yard.. It took over six months to find them.. PM me if you have any ? The dealer was great, but GM was no help & would give me lip service when they called me once a week!!

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,976 Posts
Oh yeah, Don't forget the statement that the system was designed for optimum performance on a FLAT surface. If you are on an irregular surface or moving v/s Stopped, the operation is a one-time deal, unless it's done in the exact same spot. I've learned a lot about the top operation since I realized I could save 30 seconds by NOT holding my foot on the brake pedal and waiting for the roof to retract BEFORE putting it in Drive and letting OFF the brake.... OH Yeah...

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Oh yeah, Don't forget the statement that the system was designed for optimum performance on a FLAT surface. If you are on an irregular surface or moving v/s Stopped, the operation is a one-time deal, unless it's done in the exact same spot. I've learned a lot about the top operation since I realized I could save 30 seconds by NOT holding my foot on the brake pedal and waiting for the roof to retract BEFORE putting it in Drive and letting OFF the brake.... OH Yeah...
I may have had to replace my hinges because of using the top on unlevel places and maybe moving while the top was in motion.....just saying :cry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Called GM customer service, they said they were going to refabricate the latches for me and deliver them to my deale by September! I will believe it when I see it, but if this works, you guys should all jump on this while they are still fabricating these hard to find latches!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts