Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,900 Posts
The thing about speed:
1. We are never satisfied.
2. You can spend a ton of money.
3. Always run up against someone faster.
4. Spend more money.

My final answer was to do about 5 simple things to mine and then draw it all together with a Super Dyno tune. That way I did not tear into the motor and lose it's reliability and I know that everything is working together and it runs great. That is when number 4 above sunk in and I realized It Is What It Is!!! By the way I gained gobs of horsepower and way lots of low end torque in the process which is what I wanted. That is my 2 cents.

Reactions: richsadams

·
R Gang
30 Posts
Wizzr, thanks. I just moved from Cedar Crest to VA last month. I tried to sell the 04 out there but too many low ball offers so I brought it w me out East. Sure do miss NM! Thanks for the advice. Think I'll try to look for a lower mileage red 05/06 instead. Also I noticed some engine shrouds on 05/06s on line are colored (red, yellow) was this an option or just likely individuals who have painted or dipped their shrouds to match?

They're painted.

·
SSR Believer
1,566 Posts
The thing about speed:
1. We are never satisfied.
2. You can spend a ton of money.
3. Always run up against someone faster.
4. Spend more money.

My final answer was to do about 5 simple things to mine and then draw it all together with a Super Dyno tune. That way I did not tear into the motor and lose it's reliability and I know that everything is working together and it runs great. That is when number 4 above sunk in and I realized It Is What It Is!!! By the way I gained gobs of horsepower and way lots of low end torque in the process which is what I wanted. That is my 2 cents.
For me, it's the last part of what you said, "...way lots of low end torque...". We've had a few cars that were very fast and I've driven them in the 140MPH range. That gets your heart going for sure, but what I really enjoy is stepping into it from a standing start, hearing the tires sing/chirp and being pushed back in my seat until I let up, which for me is probably somewhere near freeway speeds these days, not pegging the speedometer. Handling through the curves is great too and I've had those cars as well (some were one in the same) and with Mike's parts and pieces our R does pretty well. However I don't expect a 4700 lb truck to be a mean slalom machine any more than a race car.

As I get older "quick" is more fun than "fast". Like you say, someone will always be faster. But if I can jump on it and get that feeling of power, not to mention hear it, I'm a happy camper. Call me crazy. :p

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
SELL, people are selling SSR way below what they should go for a 2006 they have the best paint and chrome but make sure all the SSR`s problem have been corrected before buying. Their are a lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
SELL, people are selling SSR way below what they should go for a 2006 they have the best paint and chrome but make sure all the SSR`s problem have been corrected before buying. Their are a lot.
Harley... i have found a low miles stock 05 I'm eyeballing. I'm your opinion what are the big ticket items to be wary of for 05-06's? Very curious.

·
SSR Believer
1,566 Posts
@Kaiser7lichter, you can edit your post by clicking on the three little vertical dots on the right-hand side of the post itself and then click on "Edit". :)

SSR Fanatic Edit 1.JPG

Never have figured out why "Report" is included in our own posts. Who would report their own post? :unsure:

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Well, it sounds like you've made up your mind. And the good news... there was no wrong decision! I bet you'll do well selling you 04. It looks like a very nice truck. And I bet you'll enjoy the 6.0.

·
Spirited driver!
1,413 Posts
Harley... i have found a low miles stock 05 I'm eyeballing. I'm your opinion what are the big ticket items to be wary of for 05-06's? Very curious.
The biggest issues I have seen is to make sure the roof operates correctly. Replacing the hydraulics is a pain and expensive. The other big ticket items are the carpet package for the rear and if it has chrome vs satin. It costs a lot to covert all those pieces to chrome if that is what you want.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
The one big known issue that hits some of but not all of the 05's is the problem of the broken wire in the fuse box. Other than that its like the rest of them. Enjoy the ride.

·
Super Moderator
13,908 Posts
I got tired of reading comments and advice, not that mine is any better, but my advice is not to spend more money on a MY 2004 5.3 Litre w/90k on it to get more power
Start over with the 6L if you can get decent money for the 5.3, but that may be tough given the mileage

Keep the hood liner!

Even the 6L SSR needs a gear swap. I did 456 w/6sp but might do something in the 430 range had I do it again, but I think the 456 works great with the Auto,
Opinions have been the 456 do not work well with S/C so probably back off to 410 or so if that is your intent - regardless, the 373 do not work well for anything with our wheel size - cruiser I suppose, but even the 5.3 auto should have 411 or so

·
Registered
26 Posts
So if you change the engine, then you need to change the computer, the fuse boxes are different. Heck even the floor mats are different between 03-04 and 05-06. With the bigger engine you need to upgrade from 4L60 tranny to the 4L65 ? If you have the console gauges, they will be different from 03-04 and 05-06. Money better spent to buy an 05-06.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,900 Posts
I think you mis-understood. I don't think he was changing engines. He was asking if he should sell the whole SSR and get one with the 6Liter LS2 motor. That is a tough decision only he can make. Changing his to a 6 liter is almost impossible. When Chevy did that everything including the floor had to be changed. Maybe I am wrong. Have a good day.

Reactions: richsadams

·
Super Moderator
13,908 Posts
Not so tough a decision IMO
A 2004 is a 2004 - won't be worth any more with a 6L in it - possibly less once it has been screwed with
If desperate for more HP, modify the 5.3 or sell it and buy an 05/06 with the 6L
Like Auggie said, I do not believe swapping engines was a consideration and should not be

#300 - the Bonneville Salt Flat Push Truck had the 6L swap done at the factory (actually at ASC) so it is possible
#2052 had it done privately at his dealership and had nothing but trouble with it - now has a Rebuilt title and resides in the UAE

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
I think you mis-understood. I don't think he was changing engines. He was asking if he should sell the whole SSR and get one with the 6Liter LS2 motor. That is a tough decision only he can make. Changing his to a 6 liter is almost impossible. When Chevy did that everything including the floor had to be changed. Maybe I am wrong. Have a good day.
Actually, the LS2 is identical to the 5.3, dimensionally. It's a swap that's easily done with a few wiring adapters required. Then, of course, re-tuning the ECM is needed.

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,426 Posts
I wrote a long comment about this awhile ago, but I can't find it here. Basically, I upgraded in steps that went through the Magnuson 120 supercharger, rebuilt the 5.3 with forged internals and performance cam and heads (after burning a piston on a track), lowering, stronger sway bars, headers and who knows what else. The best piece of advice that I could give you would be: If you really want a lot of horsepower from the 5.3 and a tune just isn't enough, go for the 120 supercharger and STAY THERE. Every time that I did a horsepower upgrade, I thought it was the last step, but I was too weak to let it stay there. After the engine rebuild, I felt that the engine could handle significantly more horsepower than it was getting from the maxed-out 120, so after lots of conversations with Joe D., I replaced the 120 with a 2300 supercharger. The bad part of this decision is that there are no ready-made tunes for a 2300 on a 5.3 because it is too big for the stock 5.3. We only put it on Ilsa because of her rebuilt engine. So if an additional 100 horsepower from the 5.3 isn't enough for you (I do some minor racing with Ilsa, so horsepower is a thing with me), then get the 120 (It may have been replaced by the 1900 by now). If for some reason you think that 400 (or so) horses will not be enough, Either upgrade to a newer SSR with the LS engine and go from there, or replace the engine in your present truck. The overall cost will be similar. I've been asked many times why I didn't do that, and the reason is because I never thought I'd be going this far with horsepower upgrades. If I weren't racing, the 120 (or 1900) supercharger would be more than enough of an upgrade in horsepower. I also changed the differential to a 456 as recommended on this list. Recently, I realized that it was too tall of a gearing for this truck and switched to a 410 which is what I would recommend. I have also heard from a few gearheads that the original 383 is fine, even with a supercharger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
All great replies gents....I'm neck deep in moving boxes in VA.but reading everyone's war stories I'm leaning towards not throwing good money after bad and finding an 05/06 than do some mild upgrades on it. We'll see what the market will get me up here. I'll probably put a note in the forum as well when I sell my 04. Even at over 90K it's a solid Western truck and always a crowd pleaser. Sounds like the consensus is even a 6.0 out of the box could use a rear end gearing upgrade, high flow exhaust, cold air upgrade plus maybe cam and of course professional tune....I'll keep that in mind. Great advice from a lot of different angles. Thanks Gents!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts