Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had an intermittent problem with the tonneau cover opening on its own with the truck off, key out and locked. So far hasn’t happened in the rain, but I have come out to the parking lot at work to find it open. I have heard the lock mechanism making noise as if I had pushed the button on the key fob without having the key fob with me ( keys in the house ). This is what I found yesterday morning as I was about to leave for work. Any ideas are much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,403 Posts
doc, I don't have an answer except---when I first read your post, tonneau cover, we think of the Roof compartment cover. I thought, no way!! But further reading I saw you were talking about the "Bed Cover". Not trying to be picky just confusing terms sometimes.

Nick

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
I have had an intermittent problem with the tonneau cover opening on its own with the truck off, key out and locked. So far hasn’t happened in the rain, but I have come out to the parking lot at work to find it open. I have heard the lock mechanism making noise as if I had pushed the button on the key fob without having the key fob with me ( keys in the house ). This is what I found yesterday morning as I was about to leave for work. Any ideas are much appreciated.
Could you elaborate as to the sequence that you describe here. I was thinking you had Butt Dialed the trunk button, but, how are you around the truck to Hear, without a remote on you? Need some more 411 to help... Hate to think someone parked close to you have sync to your trunk with their keyfob.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cargo cover trouble

Thanks for the clarification in nomenclature. I have at times locked the truck and as I am walking away I hear the mechanism unlatching the cargo cover. The release cable has already been checked and no slack or kinks found and the cable works fine. To add more the release button next to the glove compartment has stopped working but I don’t know when.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,403 Posts
Moved to Technical Discussion.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Key Fab

How old is the battery in the fab, also, cargo lid button on the fab may be weak, or going bad, etc. Easy place to start lookin for problem.

"Long may you run":grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
If the relay does not prove to be faulty, as @river rat suggested, or if you cannot get it to act up by removing and reinstalling the relay, you could always swap with another relay in the box with the exact same part # and see if problem acts up again.

If problem still occurs, I would suggest a look at the switch in the glove box.
Does it feel like it has a "hair trigger"
If so - try to unplug the switch's electrical connection for a few days to see if problem goes away.

Just some more things to consider. Intermittent electrical issues can be the toughest to find.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
You could also carry the other fob for awhile to see if the one your using is going off accidentally.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Battery in the key fob is the original so I put a new one in both 1 and 2 fob and they work fine

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Removed and reinstalled relay, several times. Was not hot nor made any noise. The release button at the glove box doesn’t activate the cargo cover to open but also it doesn’t have any resistance or spring back. Maybe a bad release button. More curious is that it hasn’t done it again so I will monitor and keep all posted on what the outcome is.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,403 Posts
Hummmmm, seems that something you did might have corrected it!!?? Cross your fingers!!

Nick

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
Have you tried unplugging the button and Shorting across the contacts to see if you could Isolate the Button as the problem ? Working when shorting the wires says the rest of the system is working, less the button. Anything Could Happen....

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,085 Posts
Just curious. Do you close the bed cover first and latch it and then the tail gate last? If you don't do it in that order it doesn't latch properly and may pop open. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have struggled to get the connection loose but will do so and try to activate by shorting across connections

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have used the proper sequence in closing the cargo cover. So far the problem has not come back. Will post when I have another update.

·
Premium Member
19,739 Posts
Brings me back to when Lloyd was trying to open his bed cover , finally discovered it was not his truck but mine Lloyd and I laughed k

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,680 Posts
Removed and reinstalled relay, several times. Was not hot nor made any noise. The release button at the glove box doesn’t activate the cargo cover to open but also it doesn’t have any resistance or spring back. Maybe a bad release button. More curious is that it hasn’t done it again so I will monitor and keep all posted on what the outcome is.
Doc, You haven't mentioned that we changed Bed Struts from 350N to 330N because of to much pressure on hinge locks.

That was at Florida Hands on Tech Day and NO CHARGE!

Dicktator

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,085 Posts
I have used the proper sequence in closing the cargo cover. So far the problem has not come back. Will post when I have another update.
Sounds like that might have fixed it. Ride On!!!

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Doc, You haven't mentioned that we changed Bed Struts from 350N to 330N because of to much pressure on hinge locks.

That was at Florida Hands on Tech Day and NO CHARGE!

Dicktator
That is true the struts were changed out and also got the window switches working like new at the tech day. Since I could here the cover release mechanism when I was close and it opened I didn’t think much of the struts but it hasn’t opened on its own since the Monday after the tech day I don’t know what to think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts