Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question... Are the struts supposed to push the cover all the way open when you hit the release button? Or, are they just to hold up the cover once you manually lift it?

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,921 Posts
Question... Are the struts supposed to push the cover all the way open when you hit the release button? Or, are they just to hold up the cover once you manually lift it?
Stock 13 yr old struts only pop the cover enough to get fingernails under it to lift it then hold it open.
Order replacement struts from Simple Engineering and the lid will pop all the way open when you hit the button but you'll need two hands to close it.

Greg

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I bought mine new in 06 and the factory struts would pop open the cover all the way open. After two years would only open enough to get your finger under the edge. Steve from LST changed mine in Maggie Valley in 08 and they open it all the way still to this day. So yes they should open it all the way. The ones simple engineering sell are made by LST

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,723 Posts
Great point . . .

For the first couple of years after adopting The Doophus the Rear Deck Lid would pop all the way up. Then slowly the pop became more like a "poop" and barely opened the lid. Since still under warranty, the Chevy Dealer replaced the struts. The new struts lasted for another couple of years before "pooping out" just like the originals.

A quick trip to Mike Moro's Garage to have a set of Mike's better than original replacement struts installed and VOILA . . . to this day the lid is still popping up just like new, more than likely even better than new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts