Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished doing the underside of the tonneau cover. Hope the picture comes out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
kits

Thanks Rick. I didn't save all the templates I made but they weren't to hard to make. Total cost was about $10.00 and 2 days work. I used a scrap piece of 1/4" aluminum to make the SSR emblem.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks Machell. I'm kinda proud of it. The back one, where the SSR logo is, has a key lock and is a swing down storage compartment for my manual and 2 micro fiber cleaning towels.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looks great

...but you gotta give me more info. I love the storage bin.

When I ordered my ssr No one yet knew what the rear carpet kit was all about. The dealer was supposed to call me as the time got closer so I could confirm my options. To make a long story short, I did not get the carpet kit and want to finish out the bed area.

Could you give details on how you made it, materials etc.

Once again, looks great.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree

llog,

I am not into a lot of customization, since my SSR is already such an attention-getter, but your tonneau cover really looks great. I might just give it a try. Did you Velcro the pieces in place?

Good job!

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Cover Details

This modification is much more interesting to look at than the standard GM installed product. Mine includes a light. Completed this project in April.

Next project is to install the hood struts and probably a Windbreak.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tonneau cover details

I'm glad you guys like it. I used light cardboard to make templates and then transferred them to 1/4" foam board. You can pick that up a craft store, hobby shop or office supply. I sprayed the foam board with a spray adhesive and put on one layer of batting trimmed 1/4" larger than the foam board. I used black craft felt to cover the batting and wrapped it about 1" onto the back of the foam board. You can get the felt, batting and spray adhesive at a fabric store. You spray a strip about 1" wide along one edge of the foam board and pull the felt over and stick it down. Then spray along another edge and pull the felt over and stick it down. At the corners you have to cut little pie shaped wedges out of the felt so it lays down flat. I used the black industrial strength stick-on velcro to attach them to the cover. I put the two pieces of velcro together, exposed the adhesive on one side and stuck them to the back of the foam board. I cut mine into 1" squares and put one in each corner of the foam board. Then I exposed the adhesive on all three velcro pieces, layed on my back in the back of the SSR and pushed them into place.
For the storage door I used 1/4" oak plywood instead of foam board. I will take some more pictures tomorrow of the door and try to show how that was done with the hinges and the latch. If after I post the pics tomorrow you have any more questions feel free to e-mail me, private message me or just post back on this thread. I'll do my best to help all I can.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Tonneau cover pics and details

Here are the pics I promised yesterday. I hope they help. Depending on the length of the lock you get, you may have to adjust the thickness of the plywood piece shown in pic 5. Please excuse the explanation on pic 3. I had a senior moment and screwed up the part about filing off the tips of the screws.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts