Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious now that the spring swells are starting to come in about putting my long board in the back of my SSR. I had planned on keeping the tailgate down and the tonu closed and just using a bungie cord or two to secure the rest of my surfboard to the tailgate. I was just a bit concerned about the exhaust heating up the paint at long stops and such since the tail gate would be in the down position. What exactly does it hurt to have the tailgate closed first and the tonu left open, but bungied to a couple of D Rings and around the surfboard. It just makes more sense to have the tailgate up and the tonu partially open with the boards hanging out but resting on the tailgate, yet the "INstructions" on the tonu say not to close the tail gate first! What harm will that do anyway? Any guesses?

C

·
0 Posts
I would just take the cover off. GM offers a protective cover for it so you can hang it on a garage wall. The reason you dont close the tailgate first is because it creates a large volume of air trapped in the bed and that results in an improper seal. Then you end up with water in the bed. By closing the lid first, then the gate, the air has a way to get out as the gate closes.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
You can leave the bed cover open and the tailgate closed, but you cannot cycle the top when the bed cover is open. You can close the bed cover with the tailgate closed, but it is very difficult because of the bed cover seals. The recommended closure procedure is the easiest way to shut both panels.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, this is getting interesting! I definately will want to be able to lower the top so I guess the best method to fit a 9'2" surfboard in the 4' bed is to close the tonu, leave the tail gate open, bungie the board to the tailgate, leaving about half the board hanging off the tailgate, and then I should be able to put the top down and cruise to the beach right? In other words, the tailgate will be laying down in the open position, with the board bungied to it while I cruise.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Exhaust

Ed,

Don't forget that you still didn't get an answer to whether the exhaust will affect the paint on the tailgate when it's open...

I'm glad to hear why we were supposed to close the tonnaeu cover first, because the mechanics at the dealership were closing it the wrong way. I was wondering if any damage could have been done.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard some very good things recently about Priority Chev. service in Chesapeake so I just may give them a shot at my next service or prob. It's a shame they can't read the tag and close the tailgate and hood properly at a chevy dealership of all places. They should be ashamed!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:grouphug Thanks guys! Now all I have to do is get over this bronchial infection my students gave me and I can go surfing again! With the tailgate down!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:D If the swell holds, I plan on taking my SSR surfin in the AM! Can't wait to load it up in the Black Beauty! Water temp. is a tropical 34 degrees!!!! Brrrr.....

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Sickness

One week you have a bronchial infection, the next week your swimming in 34 degree water ????? That kind of activity will cause you to do weird things like paint skulls on your SSR :) . Oh wait, you were already planning that weren't you?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:DActually I have worked up some drawings of a skull like image that is part animal and part human skull with a flaming mohawk. Pretty cool actually. Now I have to make some templates and airbrush them on a variety of surfaces to practice what I want to do. I also airbrushed an aerial view of a skull looking down with malicious eyes and plan on doing some wild pinstrip work around him. I think after a few months of this sketch and practice and hooking up with a good clear coat guy I may just get up enough nerve to actually paint my SSR. I just hate to be without it for a day!!!!! Will have to wait till summer. By the way, the new wet suits are sooooo toasty, that even old surf rats like me can stay comfy.....adios bronchitis!!!!!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the way...those dreaded roof cycle time outs are back and I watched it open and close a gazillion times and can't seem to recognize why it is catching on the wires! The ones on the driver's side do seem to whip quite a bit during the open/close process but I don't really see how I can secure them with a twist tie since they also need some flex. I am pretty sure the wires on the driver side are the culprits but the dealer, well, I don't really need to tell you what you already know. Next service I am taking it to Priority Chevrolet and seeing if they can't identify and correct the problem since the other chevy dealers in the area don' t have a clue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts