Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SSR Enthusiast
2004 Chevrolet SSR #10111 Ricochet Silver
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in Mikes fan Sunday and have been enjoying my R again. For the heck of it, I had some time and I disassembled the dead OEM fan to see how it looked inside. From the outside it looked like a fan from a car with 17,000 miles. Not sure what it’s supposed to look like on the inside if it’s working ok, but here are some pictures of what my dead fan looks like taken apart.

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,780 Posts
It does seem surprising that a vehicle with that low of miles would have a dead fan, but as we've found out here on more than one occasion it's not necessarily the mileage that's the culprit. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Dave

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,641 Posts
Picture 4 is the problem, SQUARE Brushes!. They hang up in square tube and won't move down to armature.

Some times you can "rap" the fan and brushes will drop down and run again, for a while!!

Plus Mike's fan moves 30% more CFM.

You can do what you want with it.

Dicktator

1. SSR OEM Fan made by V/W.
2. Simple Engineering Fan made in USA.

Attachments

·
SSR Enthusiast
2004 Chevrolet SSR #10111 Ricochet Silver
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did notice 2 of the square brushes not touching the center at all. They seemed to be gummed up in the square sleeves. Happy that it’s out and the new fan is in

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,058 Posts
Picture #3 tells the story of the failure mode....... all the brushes appear to be stuck up into their brush holders. Judging from the place where the braided copper wire comes out of the side of each brush holder, you have very little actual wear on the brushes. If you gently pull down on each one, you will get them to become "un-stuck" and come out of the holder. Each one has a small spring inside. The spring will look like something from a ball point pen.

If you were to clean the inside of each brush holder and the outside of each brush, you could get the brushes to be free again and re-assemble it. You cannot use any lubrication here, since it will gather dirt too quickly and gum up the brushes again.

On a side note....... the white thing in the bottom left of picture #3 is the internal one ohm resistor. When you put 12 volts to the low speed wire on the connector, the power goes through this resistor before going to the brushes..... that one ohm resistor drops about half of the voltage...... running the motor at about half speed. I have seen several of these resistors fail (mechanically) and the result is a cooling fan that does not operate on low speed. The failure is usually where the solid wire with the black woven covering meets the resistor or meets the circuit board.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Almost every motor & generator from the 1920's/30's used the brush system. The brushes on Electric Mixer used this system & were made easy to replace or clean. A little plastic knob over each one gave you access. They were made to work on.

Bird

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
I was going to do same thing just to see what it made of. Thanks for the pictures. My fan was in Amarillo, Tx this morning. To be delivered on Sat. Can't beat that for service. Unless Mike comes along and installs it.:laugh::laugh::laugh::ssr:ssr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts